OT: Test #478B | The Boneyard

OT: Test #478B

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..This automaker just surpassed Toyota as biggest, but is now involved in what may be the worst
scandal in car history. Take it.

15..In his 1st game as pro, Marcus Mariota tied whose rookie record by throwing for 4 TD's.

16..Linea nigra usually appears when..?

17..How did Hitchcock determine Tippi Hedren's career.

18..Alek Hidell comes up as a phony ID in what saga?

19..What Supreme said of , "I know it when I see it"?

20..Identify "Belted Galloway".

21.."Please, sir, I want more."

22..Correct this: The description of the Donner Party is in the book ALIVE.

23..And then there were 16,...no, wait, 15.

24..Where's Calhoun College, and what's going on with that?

25..The softest of voices(?) have an album, "Lay It Down".

Sorry, I can't stay with you, as there be gardening to perform, but I have utmost trust in you.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
14. Volkswagon, which has admitted to falsifying EPA data on its' diesel engines by inserting a computer program to run the engine differently while being tested.
17. I think she was cast as the female lead in "The Birds"
20. It's a farm animal, but I'm not sure which - sheep, I think. Might be a hog.
21. Oliver to the guy dishing out gruel in "Oliver Twist", or, at least the movie version "Oliver!"
22. Well since the Donner Party was the victim of the first/only confirmed instance of cannibalism in the United States, in the Sierras, by Alferd Packer, "ALIVE" would be inaccurate: perhaps "'LUNCH"?

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
15. Fran Tarkenton
16. when someone is pregnant, usually black line forms overt he abdomen
17. Hitchcock gave her the starring role in "The Birds."
19. Potter Stuart
22. The Donner Party resorted to cannibalism when they were stranded by a snow storm in the Sierras in the 1840s or 50s. ALIVE was a book and movie about a soccer team (Brazilian, I think) that resorted to cannibalism when they were stranded in the Andes after a plane crash in the 1960s or 70s.
23. Now that Perry and Walker have quit, there are ONLY 15 Republican candidates left.

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
24. Calhoun College is part of Yale and is named for 19th century Yale grad John C. Calhoun, a South Carolina senator who was a white supremacist and slave owner. The name has caused a huge controversy about Yale honoring the name of a racist. I believe Yale is changing the name of the college.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
14. VW
21. Oliver wanted more....mush.

Reaction Score
14. Volkswagon whose CEO just resigned is accused/has admitted to falsifying test results
15. Dan Marino
17. By not giving her the lead in Psycho, Ms Hedren was able to appear in subsequent sequels.
19. Warren Burger
21. Kevin Bacon in Animal House
23. Scott Walker resigning from the presidential race now leaves 15 Republican candidates.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
24. Calhoun College is part of Yale and is named for 19th century Yale grad John C. Calhoun, a South Carolina senator who was a white supremacist and slave owner. The name has caused a huge controversy about Yale honoring the name of a racist. I believe Yale is changing the name of the college.
Probably my one and only political comment, which mods may remove but I have to say it.

Please. No, Calhoun was not a nice man. However, when we begin stopping honoring all our nations founders from the South (Washington who owned slaves, Jefferson who had children with a slave (well, she really didn't have a choice, now, did she) among others; Lincoln who was a racist, Wilson who was apparently a ghastly racist (which I only read about recently), and all the rest of them, then I'll start jumping in and supporting dishonoring the Calhouns, Lees, etc. of the world.

I don't support making heroes of them - but they are historical figures who were what they were for their times. If they behaved / believed what they did in today's society that would be a very different thing, but they didn't live in today's society, now did they.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
14..VW
20.. A breed of cattle
21..Oliver Twist
23..Republican Candidates

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
14..VW
16..towards the end of pregnancy
17..He had her star in the Birds. Also, from what I read he was obsessed with her and tried to control her projects and careers.
21..Oliver, Oliver, never before has a boy wanted more.
22..ALIVE was about a soccer team that crashed in the Andes, the Donher party was snowbound crossing the US by wagon as early settlers. Both stories are a bit hard to stomach.
24..People want the name changed because Calhoun was a slave owner, but I can't remember where it is

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Probably my one and only political comment, which mods may remove but I have to say it.

Please. No, Calhoun was not a nice man. However, when we begin stopping honoring all our nations founders from the South (Washington who owned slaves, Jefferson who had children with a slave (well, she really didn't have a choice, now, did she) among others; Lincoln who was a racist, Wilson who was apparently a ghastly racist (which I only read about recently), and all the rest of them, then I'll start jumping in and supporting dishonoring the Calhouns, Lees, etc. of the world.

I don't support making heroes of them - but they are historical figures who were what they were for their times. If they behaved / believed what they did in today's society that would be a very different thing, but they didn't live in today's society, now did they.
I am not disagreeing with you, and I agree that taking historical context is important - I hate the idea of altering great literature because of _____ that offends modern sensibilities, and the same can be said for statesmen. Of the founding fathers, at least half supported slavery and the rest were complicit in it if not supporting it. It gets murkier in public life as you get closer to the present day - the civil war for all any apologist might say was a group of politicians and their followers choosing to take up arms in defense of their rights to own other human beings at a time when western society was already finding that position to be inhumane. And when you get to honoring private citizens whose claim to fame is wealth and charitable giving it is also murkier to me and less 'era' specific.

I would also say there are a number of people honored with the naming of structures whose ideas I find abhorrent if less obviously offensive.
This being a WCBB board I would also say that the fact that racial and religious legal protections of rights have always predated the same protections for women, and the fact that cause does not create greater outrage is disheartening.

Atleast5char

I did it; I let the dogs out.
Reaction Score
16. Pregnancy.

21..Oliver asking for more gruel/porridge.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
14..Pinot & VAUC especially, with extra detail.

15..Geordi rightfully cites Fran Tarkenton (who disappointed us Giants fans in his stay here).

16..Atl, and even some guys know apparently, probably devoted participants in LaMaze.

17..Fair gets closer to the "career" aspect, beyond just THE BIRDS. Hitchcock subverted her life by refusing to use her and denying requests from other studios to borrow her.

18..It got him(?) a gun for an assassination.

19..As geordi tells us, it was Potter Stewart.

20..Rocket instructs us in cows.

21..We see a couple of poster-imps who stretch the quote into Bacon's, "May I have another?". We can't allow that.
Here we award the Fair 4some citing Oliver!.

22..Geordi and Fair with a tale of desperate folk.

23..Geordi and VAUC mention names, which is ever helpful.

24..First, let me direct you to rbny for the skinny.
Then, Knight, I get your concern over decisions about selectivity. Permit me a sociological slant.
If we start with the question of what is very important to a social group, it always begins with cohesion
and that is fostered by cultural indoctrination, or plainly, instruction in patriotism, the American Way, if you will.
Nowadays we get that our cultural heroes had some, oh, flaws; hey, we're all human.
Still, you can only take that so far, because you butt heads with, "The Father of Our Country", and there's no way
we are giving him up. Period. And the significance of Jefferson and Lincoln, e. g, is in that direction.

A 2nd strain or ideology we hold is "equality", and I don't have to tell you how historically we twisted and danced around the concept when it comes to native Americans, blacks, fresh-off-the-boat immigrants and women. Slowly, unevenly, painfully we move to a definition
that blacks need be included in the equality equation. There is no wholesale turning back from this.
Now unless you have a Mao or a Fidel thrust upon us, expect change to be gradual. That is reality. Fits ands starts.
Two steps forward, one back. An advance in one institution, a lag in another.
In our present context, that can mean, does mean, an abrasion at times between patriotism, cultural heroes, the rendering of history books,
with the movement to have blacks be truly equal. Well, you start small, you persist, you look for things that raise consciousness about the consequences of things and practices. For instance, you put the Confederate flag under siege by looking for stuff that keeps bringing out its ugliness. (Sound familiar?)

The sociologist Edwin Sutherland looked at cultural training as a matter of differential definitions. What is the extent an item is praised vs. disparaged? When it comes to the success of including blacks in an equality equation, what is needed is a continuous change
in the ratio of favorable/unfavorable definitions. If racists rely on 4 or 7 or 11 stereotypes, you hammer away with contrary definitions until the earlier ones begin to fade.

Back in '69 my college had a program where we would bring sheltered students into the city for various experiences. On one hospital visit,
a black technician provided a small-group chat with us about the circulatory system. Afterwards a student came up and said, "I didn't believe a Negro could do that". She becomes then an agent of definition change.

And our definitions/perceptions of John C. Calhoun are now on the clock. Where he has been seen as a strong-voiced political
person, worthy of a statue or a college named after him, now the dialogue changes. We want to notice where he unthinkingly resides
and bring his racism to the forefront. And this may work, cause he's not George, Thomas or Abraham. And then we
go on to other findings, other definitions to change. Piece by piece, without disturbing too much, too early, the bedrock of patriotism.

So, though we don't make all cultural icons fall, so though we don't expect sudden mass change, we must ACT nonetheless in possible
ways and, yes, it will be selective (and a name change at Yale is such), if a society is increasingly acknowledging that the road to equality is yet undone.

25..Bronco-buster Addicts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc