OT - Temple's goal: 35,000-seat, $100 million stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Temple's goal: 35,000-seat, $100 million stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What is Temple thinking in terms of future conference affiliation? ACC? There's no other conference out there that's feasible for them.

Would the ACC have any interest in the Philly market over say us in the event they do add another team?
You have to start wondering if schools see the AAC as their permanent home and are fine with it. I mean, a 35,000 stadium isn't huge and it would be perfectly fine for Temple to have in any conference. I think the biggest problem they had was playing in an empty NFL stadium. If you can get a stadium on campus at that size, it doesn't matter what conference you're in.

I think a lot of these schools might wish they could be in a P5 conference but the current set up of the AAC is perfectly fine with them if that's what it ends up being. The money isn't going to be there for major conferences forever as witnessed by the recent ESPN cuts and cable subscriptions dropping. It won't be a quick thing but in the long term it might be reality. Maybe the AAC gets a slightly better deal and some more cash in flow, nothing major, but more then what we currently have.

Not every school might be looking to get out like we all are.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Some Temple fanboys were claiming it was going to cost 250 million to build on that site and with proper amenities. I would expect more of a UCF tin can construction.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What are they clearing in order to fit the stadium? Seems like the locals aren't so thrilled about this one. I do think it's a good move for Temple though. The article said they'd save $3 million a year just by having their on campus stadium.

Reaction Score
What are they clearing in order to fit the stadium? Seems like the locals aren't so thrilled about this one. I do think it's a good move for Temple though. The article said they'd save $3 million a year just by having their on campus stadium.

There is a pic in post #20 for proposed site and the savings is partly realized by reduction in Linc rental.

Reaction Score

The parcel is university owned and current is the site several athletic venues that are already being moved to a different location. Neighbors are worried about traffic, especially as the road network between Temple and the highways is not great. That said, this may inject some more life into a neighborhood that is slowly improving. Philly is putting a lot of money to clean N Broad street up between City Center and Temple.

Reaction Score
Good for Temple; but, tailgating will be seriously curtailed in that neighborhood due to a lack of parking options and street parking off campus is at one's own peril.

The chances of finding your car on cinderblocks post-game are 50-50. The area is a dump, loaded with miscreants just waiting for an opportunity.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The chances of finding your car on cinderblocks post-game are 50-50. The area is a dump, loaded with miscreants just waiting for an opportunity.

Totally overblown. I've been to Temple somewhere from 15-20 times and parked my car on the street overnight and had no issues. Sure, you don't want to wander far away from the school, but tailgating will be fine

Reaction Score
That would be great. Much rather go to a game on campus there than at the Linc. Seeing 10-20K in a 70K stadium is just depressing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
That would be great. Much rather go to a game on campus there than at the Linc. Seeing 10-20K in a 70K stadium is just depressing.

You know, I thought I'd feel the same way, but when I went to the Linc for this year's game I had a surprisingly good experience. The stadium is beautiful, tailgating scene was better than I'd anticipated, and the stadium got weirdly loud considering the number of people there. I kind of liked it. That being said, an on-campus stadium is always better. Makes me wish that UConn would follow suit

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
You know, I thought I'd feel the same way, but when I went to the Linc for this year's game I had a surprisingly good experience. The stadium is beautiful, tailgating scene was better than I'd anticipated, and the stadium got weirdly loud considering the number of people there. I kind of liked it. That being said, an on-campus stadium is always better. Makes me wish that UConn would follow suit

An on campus stadium is ideal, but it's unrealistic for UConn. The locals would go crazy. And since 80% of the fans come from south and west of Hartford, the East Hartford location is the best option.

Besides, UConn is like the state's pro team. No campus is necessary.

Reaction Score

I didn't go this year. I went 4 or 5 years back - the same year as the @ Michigan game. It was awful. My guess is attendance this year was probably double (yes I could look it up but I'm not going to).

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Reading articles like this is always devastating. Long live Memorial Stadium. Forever our achilles heel in recruitment

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The high schools in Texas have stadiums that cost $65-$70 million.

Temple should be able to build their stadium.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Sounds like there are NIMBY's all over the City of Brotherly Love. The rhetoric of the Temple neighbors sounds just like what Villanova's neighbors spew every time Villanova contemplates a capital construction project.
The crazy part is that Temple is pretty much all that area has going for it. If it's in your backyard, your backyard became a much nicer place over the past 20 years. Villanova's neighborhood has plenty of 1%-ers, there's no real need for the university to prop up the community..

Reaction Score
5 to 10 years ago that's absolutely accurate but there's been a lot of improvements to the north of the bridge in northern liberties, fishtown, spring garden, and Fairmont. The investments are starting to spill over to Temple's area. The odds are probably 25 - 75 you find your car on a cinderblock and getting lower every year.

Reaction Score
Awesome news for them. Hopefully they can get it done, college football is better when it's played on campus.
with all that real estate around Mansfield/Storrs/Wilmington, you'd think we'd have one nearby too...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
with all that real estate around Mansfield/Storrs/Wilmington, you'd think we'd have one nearby too...

If we choose Wilmington I hope we do North Carolina and not Delaware. NC would be better for recruiting (and closer to my house)

Reaction Score
http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-foot...alls-example-on-out-of-conference-scheduling/

I can't imagine tailgating. Everyone has a story about a grill that's been stolen at the Rent. Temple makes the Rent look like Mayberry. For the larger donors, I'm sure they'll be in a lot that is well patrolled during and after the game. If you have a large enough parking lot or lots, it will be impossible to keep the riff raff out.
Temple has a well-armed, well-trained, 150-man police force .... there will be 5 large lots for tailgating around the stadium and each will be patrolled by many policemen from before opening until well after closing. You are safer there than you would be at the Linc.

tailgates.jpg

Reaction Score
http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-foot...alls-example-on-out-of-conference-scheduling/

Temple has a well-armed, well-trained, 150-man police force .... there will be 5 large lots for tailgating around the stadium and each will be patrolled by many policemen from before opening until well after closing. You are safer there than you would be at the Linc.

tailgates.jpg

Sounds like Yankee Stadium back in the '90's. not a place to walk around at night during the off-season; but, on game night, NYPD turned it into an armed camp.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Since the formation of the American Athletic Conference we've seen Houston and Tulane both build new on campus stadiums and now potentially Temple as well. Love the athletic commitment the schools are showing with these types of projects.

Reaction Score
Since the formation of the American Athletic Conference we've seen Houston and Tulane both build new on campus stadiums and now potentially Temple as well. Love the athletic commitment the schools are showing with these types of projects.

Common denominator - they all have access to larger nearby "NFL Stadiums" for premium/high attendance games. Best of both worlds.

Reaction Score
Still a long way to go in addressing neighborhood/community concerns but...

Temple selects architect for stadium
http://www.philly.com/philly/education/20160329_Temple_selects_architect_for_stadium.html

I think this is going to happen. Remember, it won't be just Temple football here. I can see E Pennsylvania High School Championships (football, soccer, lax) and other sporting events taking place here (this may make PPL Park in Chester a little nervous, though it is a smaller venue at 18,500). The city is really focused on developing the neighborhood in between Temple and City Center an this type of a 'marquee' building can draw in more private developers if it is done right. Draw in a couple thousand Millennials into the area who want that 'new urban' lifestyle plus Temple's existing student body of +30K and there is enough mass to draw in retail and other lifestyle developers. The only downside is that connecting this site to the highway network is tricky as N Broad St between City Center/I-676 and Temple is already a bottleneck and the hoods in between Temple and I-95 to the East are not the best. Thus, I see the next step to be a big push to expand and modernize the Temple SEPTA train station and the blocks between the station and Temple. That will allow Temple to draw families from the burbs to the game with a direct train connection. Not great for tailgating; but, that was never going to a big draw for an urban university.

PS - In case anyone asks why I know this, I have several clients in Philly, some of whom went to Temple as an undergrad or grad (MBA or Law) and this is big news to them. One person who has worked in Philly and Newark NJ compares the potential in this part of Philly to what is taking place around Red Bulls Arena in Harrison NJ across from Newark, except that there is a 30K college already on-site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro