OT - Temple's goal: 35,000-seat, $100 million stadium | The Boneyard

OT - Temple's goal: 35,000-seat, $100 million stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._goal__35_000-seat___100_million_stadium.html

>>Temple's goal to build a football stadium on campus has received "some seven-figure commitments" for funding, the chairman of the university's board of trustees said Thursday.

Chairman Patrick O'Connor confirmed that a proposed 35,000-seat stadium with an estimated cost of $100 million is being pursued for the northwest corner of campus. He said the issue is expected to be discussed at the December trustees meeting. "We are moving forward and exploring every option," he said.

The stadium would rise about a block or two behind the Liacouras Center.<<

Report: On-campus stadium being discussed by BOT
http://temple-news.com/news/report-on-campus-stadium-being-discussed-by-bot/

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Awesome news for them. Hopefully they can get it done, college football is better when it's played on campus.

Reaction Score
Now, and not when Temple was in the former Big East? :rolleyes: When UCONN goes B1G, maybe Temple joins a league with Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, UMess, and a few CUSA and Sun Belt schools.

Reaction Score
Now, and not when Temple was in the former Big East? :rolleyes: When UCONN goes B1G, maybe Temple joins a league with Georgia State, UNC Charlotte, UMess, and a few CUSA and Sun Belt schools.

When Temple was in the BE they attracted Division II coaches which produced an equivalent product. That's why they were kicked out-------teams wasn't BCS quality and couldn't attract flies........

..........then along comes Golden, Addazzio, and Rhule. Over the last 10 years they have quietly progressed to being a fairly decent and competitive FBS program. Good for them.....I'm happy for the kids and coaches. Who wants to bust ___ in practice all week only to be told (politely) they are NG.

Different story now. Wouldn't surprise me if the stadium is expandable to 50,000 or more. But they don't have to design it that way........they have Lincoln Field for the P-5 programs.

Reaction Score
A 35K seat on-campus stadium will be great for them. A the Linc, they don't draw flies with the exception of games against PSU & ND. The place looks like a mausoleum. An on-campus facility will mask that. If they build it, will they retain rental rights at the Linc for future games against PSU type teams? Being in an NFL city has its advantages in this regard. Cinci. e.g., played Oklahoma at the Bengals stadium.

Reaction Score
Good for Temple; but, tailgating will be seriously curtailed in that neighborhood due to a lack of parking options and street parking off campus is at one's own peril.

Reaction Score
How far is The Linc from their campus now? Is it difficult for students to get there?

Reaction Score
How far is The Linc from their campus now? Is it difficult for students to get there?

About 5 miles south straight down Broad Street. The Broad Street subway line runs between the two, also. That said, there is a rough neighborhood between Temple and downtown that can make the trip unappealing and a lot of Temple's students are commuters who come in from the burbs (Temple has its own commuter rail station in addition to the subway).

Reaction Score

About 5 miles south straight down Broad Street. The Broad Street subway line runs between the two, also. That said, there is a rough neighborhood between Temple and downtown that can make the trip unappealing and a lot of Temple's students are commuters who come in from the burbs (Temple has its own commuter rail station in addition to the subway).

Also free buses (w/o sign-up) provided from campus to the Linc and back on Game Days.

Reaction Score
Cosby gave the commencement speech at UConn for the Class of '96. He sure made quite an effort to avoid shaking non-African-American hands. Glad I didn't shake his hand anyway.

Reaction Score
Cosby gave the commencement speech at UConn for the Class of '96. He sure made quite an effort to avoid shaking non-African-American hands. Glad I didn't shake his hand anyway.

Don't remind me, yuck. I graduated from the SBA and had a good chunk of the women's basketball team sitting in the same section of Gampel with me so when I went up to get my diploma, I got a nice picture of me shaking hands with Bill. I hope I washed my hands really well later.

Reaction Score
Temple is also building a new athletic complex just south of their main urban campus on Broad Street at Master St at the location of a closed high school after fighting with locals over the property for a year or two (wait until the football stadium moves forward). This will house track & field, and women's lacrosse and field hockey (all of which play on the main campus now) along with men's & women's soccer, which currently play at a high school type field at Temple's suburban campus in Ambler. The school is likely to focus on revitalizing the area between the complete and the core campus, too. I wish Temple luck.

http://temple-news.com/sports/bohnel-following-cuts-teams-receive-new-facilities/

http://owlsports.com/galleries/?gallery=895

PS - UConn shoudl be glad that Warde and Herbst on on the scene now as it Hathaway was still there, Temple would have better Olympic sport facilities than UConn once this goes through.

Reaction Score
Why only 37k? I guess they use the NFL stadium for the BIGGER games?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Do you guys think that's somehting that will ultimatly hold Cincy back from getting a P5 invite vs. us getting one? The fact that Nippert just had an expansion and overhaul and still is only at 40K seats? Or becuase they have Paul Brown Stadium would they get a pass from let's say a Big XII or B1G with non-conference games on-campus? I just would think UConn would be at an advantage beucase 1. we just got more land at The Rent for expansion from P&W and 2. the current stadium can eaisly be expanded. We just need the fans!

Reaction Score
Just read that Temple's enrollment is about 37K. UConn's is about 31K. I had no idea Temple was such a big university.

Reaction Score
Do you guys think that's somehting that will ultimatly hold Cincy back from getting a P5 invite vs. us getting one? The fact that Nippert just had an expansion and overhaul and still is only at 40K seats? Or becuase they have Paul Brown Stadium would they get a pass from let's say a Big XII or B1G with non-conference games on-campus? I just would think UConn would be at an advantage beucase 1. we just got more land at The Rent for expansion from P&W and 2. the current stadium can eaisly be expanded. We just need the fans!
With each day that passes, I think stadium capacity becomes less of a factor. While good attendance never hurts a program, the world is changing and the downward attendance trends nation wide don't lie. It's almost become too easy for the casual fans to watch games without having their butts in the seats. I love a good college gameday environment, but, unfortunately, a lot of people obviously don't feel the same.

Reaction Score
PhillyInquirer6:49pm via Sprout Social
.@TempleUniv has lined up most of the money for a stadium
http://www.philly.com/philly/educat..._money_for_a_stadium.html#4udvwJ2W0Ip3TfG9.99

>>Temple University is three-quarters of the way to securing the funding needed to build a $100 million, football stadium on campus, President Neil D. Theobald said Friday.<<

temple_600x400.jpg

Best of both worlds - 35k seats on campus, 69k seat NFL stadium straight shot 8 miles aways

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I wonder how long they've been working towards this. Word just broke of this a week ago it seems and now they announce they are 3/4 of the way to funding it....that's nuts. I know it hasn't occurred in just a week but I can't imagine many people would have stepped up prior to the success this season and last.

Reaction Score
What is Temple thinking in terms of future conference affiliation? ACC? There's no other conference out there that's feasible for them.

Would the ACC have any interest in the Philly market over say us in the event they do add another team?

Reaction Score
I wonder how long they've been working towards this. Word just broke of this a week ago it seems and now they announce they are 3/4 of the way to funding it....that's nuts. I know it hasn't occurred in just a week but I can't imagine many people would have stepped up prior to the success this season and last.

It's been an on-going discussion/study for a couple of years but picked up steam mid-2014 and really started to move in 2015. Th e campus is exploding w/ new construction projects and planned growth.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think they may be able to support it. Massive student body and the kids are pretty invested in sports there. I've visited campus about 10 times (had friends who went there) and they always had a good crowd for basketball. I think kids didn't like going off campus for games and the team was pretty bad up until the past 2 years

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Good for Temple; but, tailgating will be seriously curtailed in that neighborhood due to a lack of parking options and street parking off campus is at one's own peril.
I can't imagine tailgating. Everyone has a story about a grill that's been stolen at the Rent. Temple makes the Rent look like Mayberry. For the larger donors, I'm sure they'll be in a lot that is well patrolled during and after the game. If you have a large enough parking lot or lots, it will be impossible to keep the riff raff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom