OT- Tell me what you think of this... | The Boneyard

OT- Tell me what you think of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Interesting and well-shot video. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Just love this! My ex used to be very active in Native American Affairs in California. Used to be invited to quite a few Pow wows, sweats, etc. Had some very interesting spiritual experiences. This video just makes you want to get up to dance.

Reaction Score
These dancers are supposedly the "Best Of The Best" in the country. The second song is in the "Crow Step" category. The dancers are supposed to be dancing like crows (or so I'm told).

Reaction Score
Here is one of my favorite videos. These girls are under 13 years old. I like the smallest girl in the pink outfit with the white feather on her head. I wish I could've shot more footage of her. I went in cold with no idea of who was who or which dancer was the most interesting.

Reaction Score
BTW- Thanks for the kind words/compliments. This was the first time I tried to record anything outside or at night. Most of it came out pretty good.

FYI- the guys who sang on the second song won $15,000.00 for being the best drum group. The dancers probably won a lot of money but I don't know how much. That money goes a long way on the Rez.

Reaction Score
Here's a video I shot today of a non-indian (Caucasian) guy who I've seen dancing at every Powwow I've went to this summer. He's over 55 years old (I think) so he's usually one of a few dancers in that age group for dance contests. He's actually placed in a couple I've seen him dance in.

Reaction Score
There is a huge "Pow Wow" or gathering in Albuquerque every year if you wish to attend. And, then there is the Indian Market that is held annually in Santa Fe, every August. You can see, and discuss the traditions of the Native Americans.

Reaction Score
What do I think about this ? I think, this is a UConn Women's Basketball forum and "this" has absolutely nothing to do with Women's Basketball. I just wasted time entering this thread to discover that.

Maybe I should post some of my childhood vacation videos for all to comment on. Let's try to stick closer to the point of this forum.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What do I think about this ? I think, this is a UConn Women's Basketball forum and "this" has absolutely nothing to do with Women's Basketball. I just wasted time entering this thread to discover that.

Maybe I should post some of my childhood vacation videos for all to comment on. Let's try to stick closer to the point of this forum.
OT - is clearly posted in the heading/subject line

OT means "off topic"... next time you see "OT" don't click on the topic, that should solve your problem

Reaction Score
Great stuff- thanks for posting. I'd love to attend one sometime and shoot it with my DSLR and big tele.

Reaction Score
I got a video camera and recorded this video as well as a lot more. I have it on U-Tube so here it is (hope it's OK to post a link- I couldn't post a video any other way):

What tribe? What are they singing about?

Reaction Score
What tribe? What are they singing about?
The drum groups were from different parts of the country so they were speaking a different language than my tribe (Omaha). I couldn't really disturb them while the powwow was going on. There's a guy who keeps people out of the area where the people are singing/dancing. This was the first time I went to this powwow in over 30 years so I didn't know exactly what I could get away with etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

"OT" should have tipped you off. You just have to pay attention.

Reaction Score
The drum groups were from different parts of the country so they were speaking a different language than my tribe (Omaha). I couldn't really disturb them while the powwow was going on. There's a guy who keeps people out of the area where the people are singing/dancing. This was the first time I went to this powwow in over 30 years so I didn't know exactly what I could get away with etc.
Ok, thanks! The Indian history, to me, is a very sad one. It's good to see that some of the old traditions are still alive.

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks! The Indian history, to me, is a very sad one. It's good to see that some of the old traditions are still alive.
If you live near Hartford, Conn. they have a huge Powwow there. The Mashtucket Pequot run it and it's supposed to be one of the biggest in the country. Maybe you can talk to the singers about what their songs mean etc. I've never tried singing and am not even fluent in my own tribe's language.

I've never had to use it much although my parents talked to each other in the Omaha language all the time.

Reaction Score
If you live near Hartford, Conn. they have a huge Powwow there. The Mashtucket Pequot run it and it's supposed to be one of the biggest in the country. Maybe you can talk to the singers about what their songs mean etc. I've never tried singing and am not even fluent in my own tribe's language.

I've never had to use it much although my parents talked to each other in the Omaha language all the time.
Unfortunately, I live in PA. You have to learn more of your tribe's language so that you can pass it on to the next generation. I mean your tribe has been here long before this country was settled by the white man. Save the old ways, brother.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I live in PA. You have to learn more of your tribe's language so that you can pass it on to the next generation. I mean your tribe has been here long before this country was settled by the white man. Save the old ways, brother.

I spent 22 years in NJ and Maryland working for a gov't. contractor. I didn't see any natives but a couple that entire time. I made a lot of money but really couldn't afford to go back to powwows and such during that time. I didn't see many natives period. So I kind of lost touch with that.

Now I'm getting back into it.

There are young people here trying to learn the language and culture to carry it on and I'm going to do my best to encourage them. ;-)

Reaction Score
Here's another vid that's getting a lot of attention on U-Tube. Tell me what you think of this one:

Beautiful. I see a little bit of the "Running Man" and "RiverBoat", among other dances that I've seen, in this wonderful display of rhythmic dancing. Colors are unexpectedly bright. Thanks for posting!

Reaction Score
Here's a couple of clips of the men's dancing contests.

The first is a literally off-beat version of a Grass Dance by a teenage kid. I think it's petty cool!

The second features some awesome dancing- especially from the guy in the brown regalia.

Note: Try to guess without googling the answer of what the Grass Dance is about. The answer may surprise you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Noone cares to guess, eh?

Well, I was told last weekend that the dance goes back to the days when the Omaha warriors would go out on battles with other tribes. When they returned they would wear the scalps of enemies they'd slain on their regalia and do the Grass Dance.

Kinda morose but that's the way things were back then.

Reaction Score
Here's another dance featuring the beautiful native American women who danced at the Winnebago Powwow:

Reaction Score
Here's another video that features most of the dancers that will dance during that session. It's called the "Grand Entry". Most of the powwows have something like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom