OT: Tablet 3.1 Honeycomb $249 w/ free shipping | The Boneyard

OT: Tablet 3.1 Honeycomb $249 w/ free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Acer Iconia Tab A500-10S16u 10.1" Tablet with Android 3.0 Honeycomb

Use promo code '100bucks' for $100 off and free shipping, input on the last screen.

A lot of tablet talk on the Yard back on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and I wanted to show you all this (I got one today). Its a refurb, which I have no problem buying for some things, but has 30 day money back guarantee. It also sells new elsewhere for $390 bucks. Works with a BT keyboard and headphones. Takes pics too. Tons of good reviews on-line.

Nice gift for the spouse (better than Kindle to me), kid or keeper for self. At this price not sure how long they will be available but I'm posting this early.

Just looking out for my Yarders!

Reaction Score
Just ordered one. Thanks. Only complaint is they seem to be a little shady about product descriptions. No where does it say reconditioned, only that it's in Excellent Condition.

Reaction Score
ok, theres something ive been dying to understand.

it says that it has wi-fi built in...does that mean that i dont need to buy any internet plans ? no monthly fees if i use a network i already have ?

thanks guys.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wifi just means that it will connect to a wireless network. (Not cellular.)

It's basically not even a feature given that it a) has to have some method of getting online, and b) every single tablet, laptop and I'd imagine desktop connects wirelessly these days.

Reaction Score
Just ordered one. Thanks. Only complaint is they seem to be a little shady about product descriptions. No where does it say reconditioned, only that it's in Excellent Condition.
I believe its not new which I assumed was reconditioned, could have been returned or something. They update the OS to 3.1

Here are the specs

Reaction Score
To build on what the Big Fish noted, it's like you bought an old fashioned land line phone.
You get home.
Can you make a call?
No.
You have to pay to connect to the outside world.

WiFi is, like the phone, just the thing that allows you to connect. You still need to pay somebody else to "plug in" to the outside world.

So, IF you already have a wireless router, and IF you already pay to connect to the outside world (usually DSL or cable modem, but could be dial up), THEN you don't have to pay any more than you are already paying to use the tablet. You simply connect to the wireless router using your WIFI and then you access the outside world through the DSL/Cable/DialUp connection that you already have.

Reaction Score
To build on what the Big Fish noted, it's like you bought an old fashioned land line phone.
You get home.
Can you make a call?
No.
You have to pay to connect to the outside world.

WiFi is, like the phone, just the thing that allows you to connect. You still need to pay somebody else to "plug in" to the outside world.

I would add that there a tons of free hotspots such as hotels, universities, coffee shops (e.g. panera's bread), public libraries, etc.... There is a wifi app that can find free ones and the quality of signal.

Reaction Score
I would add that there a tons of free hotspots such as hotels, universities, coffee shops (e.g. panera's bread), public libraries, etc.... There is a wifi app that can find free ones and the quality of signal.
2 things.
1. As my dear wife says, Tim Hortons is your friend. Free WIFI access, fast, and you can use it without any logins or annoying interruptions. I use it for a couple hours on occasion after dropping the kids off somewhere or other.

2. Virtually every WIFI enabled device can locate any wireless connection that is hitting it, and will indicate through a pop up window or some such thing whether the connection is "secure" or "not secure." If "not secure," you can connect through it, typically, but, whether it's being offered as "free" or not is another matter.

Clearly, if you drive down any road in suburban America with your laptop, you will literally find dozens of insecure WIFI connections being beamed out of houses by wireless routers that are, for lack of understanding, not password/security protected. You can then download any matter of refuse that you'd like, and it will all show up as having been downloaded by the homeowner's network.

Reaction Score
Here are some great wireless network names that one guy picked up with his device. Must be cali.
See how many references you can get.

Reaction Score
i have computers in my home, and i have the modems, routers, and all the other junk needed to get internet.

are you guys saying that i can just buy a tablet with wi-fi in it, and link to my connection without having to pay extra ?

thanks for indulging my ignorance. i have always payed for service for wireless devices through verizon so i can get net anywhere....but my wife wants a tablet, and doesnt want to pay for more service.

Reaction Score
i have computers in my home, and i have the modems, routers, and all the other junk needed to get internet.

are you guys saying that i can just buy a tablet with wi-fi in it, and link to my connection without having to pay extra ?

thanks for indulging my ignorance. i have always payed for service for wireless devices through verizon so i can get net anywhere....but my wife wants a tablet, and doesnt want to pay for more service.

Yes

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The price is right. My android theory says they are the $99 to $249 tablet market. Kal-el Tegra Android tablets selling for $799 are the work of a pompous CEO who's bought too much foo pie from his sales staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom