OT: Super bowl Prediction/Discussion Thread. | The Boneyard

OT: Super bowl Prediction/Discussion Thread.

Who will win the Superbowl? With and without the inital spread

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I honestly don't know as of now. Denvers outside rush vs the panthers weak OT could mean Newton is running for his life all day. The Broncos also have the best CB duo in the league going up against a weak Carolina receiving core. Some combination of Brandon Marshall and TJ Ward will make life tough for Olsen. Could this be the first defense to stop Cam Newton? Probably not, as the Panthers open as 4.5 point favorites. Not to mention the Panthers defense Peyton seems to be a huge mismatch as well.

Reaction Score
Panthers OL is underrated, and I'd think they can run the ball more effectively than the Patriots did this past weekend. I'm taking the Panthers in this game. Their offense is clicking on all levels - running, deep ball, short routes, etc. Cam can run the ball if they need and he's huge. Their defense is stacked on all levels. They have one of the best shutdown corners, really tough D-Line (esp their DT's), probably the best linebackers in the game (even if Thomas Davis plays with a club). I think this will be a good game but I don't see the Panthers losing this one.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I honestly don't know as of now. Denvers outside rush vs the panthers weak OT could mean Newton is running for his life all day. The Broncos also have the best CB duo in the league going up against a weak Carolina receiving core. Some combination of Brandon Marshall and TJ Ward will make life tough for Olsen. Could this be the first defense to stop Cam Newton? Probably not, as the Panthers open as 4.5 point favorites. Not to mention the Panthers defense Peyton seems to be a huge mismatch as well.
Panthers' D is just as formidable as Denver's, and Cam Newton mitigates Ware and Miller's pass rush.

Newton is better than Manning. Before I hear any hype I kinda see Carolina winning this in a walk. take the 4.5 and run with it. Of course I may be swayed back toward the Broncos after two weeks of talking head blathering, but this is my initial feeling.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What's the difference between Carolina -4.5 and Denver + 4.5?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What's the difference between Carolina -4.5 and Denver + 4.5?

Panthers 20 Denver 17.

Denver +4.5 wins but Carolina -4.5 loses.

Reaction Score
Panthers 20 Denver 17.

Denver +4.5 wins but Carolina -4.5 loses.
As I posted in another thread (re: my betting ignorance), but I still don't understand. For example a Denver bet wins if Carolina wins by more than 4?

And what's a half point mean?

Reaction Score
As I posted in another thread (re: my betting ignorance), but I still don't understand. For example a Denver bet wins if Carolina wins by more than 4?

It's just what it says. If the line is Carolina -4.5, then subtract 4.5 points from their final score and if Denver has a higher score than that, you win if you bet on Denver. If you bet on Carolina, they'd have to win by 5 to cover the spread.

The .5 point is just a way of giving the "tie" to the Broncos, so to speak.

Husky25

Reaction Score
A Denver bet +4.5 means you think Denver will either lose by less 5 points or win. A bet for Carolina means you think they will win by at least 5 points.
The 0.5 points is meant to ensure there are no pushes. You either win or lose.

polycom

Reaction Score

The half point is important so that there are no ties. Essentially if you bet Carolina -4.5 you win in the following situation

Carolina 45 Denver 40
Carolina 40 Denver 0
Carolina 24 Denver 12
However, you lose in the following situation with the same bets
Carolina 44 Denver 40
Carolina 40 Denver 39
Carolina 24 Denver 20

Reaction Score
my heart says Broncos (lifelong fan) but my head says Panthers and it won't be close. The Broncos' offense is not good. To win, the defense will have to play their asses off and keep it to a low-scoring game. If the Panthers get an early lead, it'll be over before halftime. We don't have quick-strike ability.

I sat and watched the entire Seahawks/Broncos game a couple years ago. One of the more painful games I can remember. Really hope it doesn't happen again but I have a bad feeling...

Reaction Score
my heart says Broncos (lifelong fan) but my head says Panthers and it won't be close. The Broncos' offense is not good. To win, the defense will have to play their asses off and keep it to a low-scoring game. If the Panthers get an early lead, it'll be over before halftime. We don't have quick-strike ability.

I sat and watched the entire Seahawks/Broncos game a couple years ago. One of the more painful games I can remember. Really hope it doesn't happen again but I have a bad feeling...
I think the Broncos will pleasantly surprise you. Manning is having an Elway moment and would like to duplicate his boss' exit. Their D is stellar so I won't expect the Broncos to be out of striking distance if they are behind.

Sure Carolina looks formidable but so did the Pats this past weekend, especially considering Manning's health and this season's performances. Hell Denver looks formidable as well beating the Pats and securing home field advantage in AFC conference.

I expect a Carolina victory, but I don't see the Bronco's 'folding' like the Cards. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bronco's win this thing, they do have extra motivation in sending Manning to QB heaven.

I expect this to be a better game than the Pats vs Carolina partly because Denver does run the ball, giving them a balanced attack. Could be a classic, only hinging on what Manning is bringing offensively.

Reaction Score
This game does have a Super Bowl 48 type of feeling to it, I give the Broncos a better chance in this one due to their Defense. My early thoughts are Panthers in a blow out. Its one thing to be the best team all year long its another to be playing like it at the right time. Looks like Jared Allen will be playing in the Super Bowl that is huge, the Thomas Davis injury could hurt them hopefully he will be able to play. As a Giants fan watching this Panthers D (and the Broncos D) makes me want to punch Jerry Reese in the face (yes I'm jealous). Panthers have a lot of quick shifty receivers no one guy you have to game plan for aside from Olsen. Broncos D will have a tougher time getting to Cam Newton. Even if the game is close (hoping it does) I see Cam pulling it out, its like watching Kemba at QB, he's the best player in the NFL right now.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This game does have a Super Bowl 48 type of feeling to it, I give the Broncos a better chance in this one due to their Defense. My early thoughts are Panthers in a blow out. Its one thing to be the best team all year long its another to be playing like it at the right time. Looks like Jared Allen will be playing in the Super Bowl that is huge, the Thomas Davis injury could hurt them hopefully he will be able to play. As a Giants fan watching this Panthers D (and the Broncos D) makes me want to punch Jerry Reese in the face (yes I'm jealous). Panthers have a lot of quick shifty receivers no one guy you have to game plan for aside from Olsen. Broncos D will have a tougher time getting to Cam Newton. Even if the game is close (hoping it does) I see Cam pulling it out, its like watching Kemba at QB, he's the best player in the NFL right now.
As a fellow giants fan, preach it brother.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Panthers OL is underrated, and I'd think they can run the ball more effectively than the Patriots did this past weekend.

My high school team(the beloved Morgan Huskies) can run the ball better than the Patriots did this past weekend.
As for my prediction: Denver 17 Carolina 13. Best D wins.

polycom

Reaction Score
Just jumped on Denver +6... I have no analysis other than the sports gods are in Peyton's Court...

Reaction Score
Panthers' D is just as formidable as Denver's, and Cam Newton mitigates Ware and Miller's pass rush.

Newton is better than Manning. Before I hear any hype I kinda see Carolina winning this in a walk. take the 4.5 and run with it. Of course I may be swayed back toward the Broncos after two weeks of talking head blathering, but this is my initial feeling.

Their secondary is nowhere near as good as Denver's. Josh Norman is good, the rest of their back 4 is average to below. They've been lit up multiple times this season. No QB outside of Big Ben has had a good day against Denver's defense (and Carolina's passing game isn't in the same league as Pittsburgh's). Their front 7 is really salty though, but Thomas Davis' injury will have an impact. Even if he plays, his ability to get off blocks and wrap up will be affected.

Reaction Score
I love Denver straight up in this one.

• Everyone is calling it lopsided and predicting a blowout. That never plays out.
  • The Panthers have that look about them that they're way too happy right now. And Rivera said he wants them to enjoy the next two weeks.
  • Peyton gets two weeks to study film. You know he's going to put everything he has into that effort.
  • Denver has huge game breakers on their side with Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. For some reason, people are underplaying that a bit.
  • Wade Phillips is an idiot of a head coach, but a heckuva defensive coordinator. If he can find a way to neutralize Brady in 1 week, he can figure out how to hem in Newton over 2 weeks.
  • I'd be shocked if Carolina comes out as hot as they have been in recent weeks in the 1st half. The SB is a different animal. Prolonged pre-game, lots of adrenaline expended before the game starts, everyone is tight in the first 10 minutes.
Carolina -4.5 is a sucker bet, kids.

Reaction Score
My high school team(the beloved Morgan Huskies) can run the ball better than the Patriots did this past weekend.
As for my prediction: Denver 17 Carolina 13. Best D wins.

The difference in their defense is pretty marginal. The Broncos have allowed the 4th fewest points, the Panthers 6th. The Panthers also have the highest scoring offense this season. I think this is more Carolina's to lose - Peyton really can't turn the ball over and play sloppy offense like he has at many times this year. By the way, Carolina has the highest turnover margin this year (+20) - the Broncos TO margin is -4. Good luck with that if the Broncos turn the ball over at all - I don't think you realize how good the Panthers linebackers are, not to mention they have guys stepping up in the defensive backfield. Not sure I'd be confident in the spread, but I Carolina wins.

Reaction Score
The difference in their defense is pretty marginal. The Broncos have allowed the 4th fewest points, the Panthers 6th. The Panthers also have the highest scoring offense this season. I think this is more Carolina's to lose - Peyton really can't turn the ball over and play sloppy offense like he has at many times this year. By the way, Carolina has the highest turnover margin this year (+20) - the Broncos TO margin is -4. Good luck with that if the Broncos turn the ball over at all - I don't think you realize how good the Panthers linebackers are, not to mention they have guys stepping up in the defensive backfield. Not sure I'd be confident in the spread, but I Carolina wins.

Their front 7 disguises a pretty average secondary (outside of Josh Norman). Even AZ had guys running free in the secondary but Palmer either didn't have time to find them or he just flat out missed them with awful throws. Thomas Davis' injury will be a factor. Even if he plays, a broken arm will limit his ability to shed blocks and wrap up in tackling.
Denver is dominating at every level of their defense. Pass rush is ferocious and they have 2 All-Pro caliber corners and really good safeties. Their 3rd corner would start for Carolina.

Reaction Score
Live in CLT, not a fan of the Panthers (I'm a Giants fan), in fact I root against them mostly. I hate to say this, but I think Panthers win easy, hoping for a good game though. I'll probably pull for the Panthers to win since it will be good for my city, but if the Broncos win I won't be upset at all. I'd take the Panthers to cover at current spread (4.5) if I were to bet.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Their secondary is nowhere near as good as Denver's. Josh Norman is good, the rest of their back 4 is average to below. They've been lit up multiple times this season. No QB outside of Big Ben has had a good day against Denver's defense (and Carolina's passing game isn't in the same league as Pittsburgh's). Their front 7 is really salty though, but Thomas Davis' injury will have an impact. Even if he plays, his ability to get off blocks and wrap up will be affected.

Who are you trying to convince?

It doesn't matter if the Panthers' secondary is "nowhere near as good as Denver's (not true, by the way)." The Panthers' secondary is not playing Denver's secondary. They are facing Peyton Manning. This is not the 2013 Peyton Manning, let alone the 2006 Manning. And don't think you are giving Carolina enough credit. Coleman was among the league leaders in interceptions and as a team, Carolina has a +20 turnover ratio, tops in the league. Denver is -4, tied for #19. Denver is facing Cam Newton. Carolina is facing Peyton Manning.

Carolina's passing game is not the same as Pittsburgh's, but Newton and Roethlisberger are not the same type of player either. I don't think Denver has ever seen an offense like Carolina's this year. Alex Smith can scramble, but he is not on the same level as Cam Newton. Not even close. Also, Carolina has beaten the #2 twice (Seattle), #3 (Houston), #5 (Dallas), #7 (Tennessee), and #8 (Arizona) passing defenses in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom