OT - Some vintage historical football reels for fun | The Boneyard

OT - Some vintage historical football reels for fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought it would be entertaining for some to post some old football clips.

Princeton at Yale, November 19, 1903. Princeton won, 11-6. Princeton was awarded the national title. Princeton was considered the champion by all organizations, except one, who split the title between Princeton and Michigan. Yale's only loss that season.

http://cfreference.net/cfr/school.s?id=1&season=1903
This is the oldest known college or pro football footage.

Reaction Score
Chicago at Michigan, November 12, 1904. Michigan won, 22-0, being awarded a share of the national title by the National Championship Foundation (the organization came to an end in 2000). Chicago won a title next year in 1905. Other than Rutgers in 1869 and Lafayette in 1896, Michigan was the only other school to win national titles other than Ivy League schools up until 1903, winning titles every year between 1901 and 1904. Non-Ivy League schools started winning titles on a much more frequent basis starting in 1910. That was when the Ivy League schools started to lose their complete domination of college football.

Reaction Score
16mm B&W home movies of various Cardinals and Bears games in 1929. Includes the Green Bay Lumberjack Band (although the film is silent). Games played in Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field (old configuration).

As you can see, the NFL did not sell out games back then. Probably the oldest known pro football footage. In the NFL's first few to several years, they drew small crowds.

Reaction Score
16mm B&W home movies of various Cardinals and Bears games in 1929. Includes the Green Bay Lumberjack Band (although the film is silent). Games played in Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field (old configuration).

As you can see, the NFL did not sell out games back then. Probably the oldest known pro football footage. In the NFL's first few to several years, they drew small crowds.

Actually this photo is not what you say it is.

This photo is Rutgers football 20 years from now. The black and white film is due to budget cuts. The people you see on the sidelines are the season ticket holders.

The few people in the stands are professors who get season tickets as part of their pay, also due to budget cuts. They don'get to be on the field in order to protect coaches from their anger.

Rutgers------The Death Place of College Football

Reaction Score
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BxLmG77NKvI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope that works. I found this old UConn piece from the 100th year anniversary of UConn as a school (that's why the football with 100 in it on the grass in the endzones) on youtube a while backand posted it around here. I'm pretty sure Sweitzer's brother posted it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That film is amazingly crappy considering it was made in 1980 - I think someone got cute/stupid with the post-processing before putting it online.

Reaction Score
Carl dude, you are hardcore. You might be our first "superfan". :eek:

Fishy, I kinda dig the black and white.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BxLmG77NKvI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope that works. I found this old UConn piece from the 100th year anniversary of UConn as a school (that's why the football with 100 in it on the grass in the endzones) on youtube a while backand posted it around here. I'm pretty sure Sweitzer's brother posted it.

Carl, thanks a lot for this clip! You know, I wouldn't trade Rentschler Field back, but there was something about Memorial Field that made me feel like I was "home". Was it because we climbed over the fence at night and kicked 30 yarders, in the snow, buzzed? Perhaps...perhaps...

Reaction Score
Those guys were tough! Looked like a hockey game with no line changes. I had no idea who had the ball and I'd guess the fans couldn't see much either. Thanks to every one of 'em for building the tradition we have today in the cold and the mud and the blood.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of that clip is the guy in the Jonathan outfit doing the flip around the 12 min. mark.

Anybody catch the ESPN reference? Boston University @ UConn was one of the very first national broadcasts of college football on ESPN. I watched that game on TV.

Fishy is dead on, whoever put this clip up was really having some fun with it. Film in 1981 wasn't this bad......

but...the concept of a dual threat QB? Ken Sweitzer was brought in to the Dallas Cowboys camp by Tex Schramm, for Tom Landry, who had been coaching Roger Staubach for a number of years.

Reaction Score
Those guys were tough! Looked like a hockey game with no line changes. I had no idea who had the ball and I'd guess the fans couldn't see much either. Thanks to every one of 'em for building the tradition we have today in the cold and the mud and the blood.
The same people played offense and defense back then, as they do in rugby football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom