OT - Serena wins... Sharapova goes down | The Boneyard

OT - Serena wins... Sharapova goes down

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I've always liked both Williams sisters. But I really don't care for the noisy players - mostly like Sharapova and Azarenka. If Serena can dial back the screeching over the years, then anyone can do it...
Serena only makes a grunt when serving...

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
The WTA, ITF, etc., really dropped the ball with their efforts to reduce and/or eliminate excessive grunting. It's a useful step to try and remove the noise from the junior ranks, but it was a total copout not to apply the same rules to current professionals. I can guarantee that a few "excessive grunting" calls resulting in forfeiting a point under the "hindrance" rule would "cure" most professionals very quickly. I frankly consider it cheating because it can mask the sound of the ball striking the strings and thus making it more difficult to read the shot.

And what will happen in several years when some of these junior players, who've learned to play without the grunting begin playing on the professional level against today's professionals who are still allowed to make excessive noise. One player will be allowed to excessively grunt and mask the sound of the ball while the other will not. There's a recipe for controversy.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sara Errani had a injury time out and resumed with a wrapped thigh. She could not move well, and Serena wraps up the win
6-3, 6-0.

Rafa & Novak on the Tennis Channel now near the end of set 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom