OT: Seasonal Affective Disorder

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by 8893, Oct 4, 2016.

1. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Hahaha excitement is a good way to combat S.A.D.

8893 likes this.
  2. 8893

8893 Curiouser

I'm going to try a multi-front approach to the S.A.D. this year.

Apparently the Vitamin D level is easily detected with a routine blood test now, so I'm going to get that tested around early December to see if there is any deficiency. If so, I'll take some supplements. That's an easy one.

The light therapy is something I'm still researching. I am concerned about any potential for retinal damage, which is apparently an issue with some of the lights. I've had way too many eye issues--including retinal ones--to want to chance that, and I don't want to have to wear tanning goggles or anything like that because that's way too involved to be realistic for me. I am thinking about getting something that I could put next to my treadmill and use during the two-mile brisk walk/jog I've been doing almost every morning.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to keep getting out in the actual sunlight whenever I can.

As for the Night Runners, they are part of what I'm really hoping is Plan A, which is to embrace the darkness, because it ain't going anywhere. I had forgotten how much I actually love the solace, focus and exhilaration of a cold, dark run, so on the days when I can't get out in the sun, I'm thinking that the Night Runner lights will help me embrace the dark and make a positive association with it. Of course, the exercise alone will help in any event.

Thanks for your input on the light you use btw.

3. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Light therapy boxes should be designed to filter out harmful ultraviolet (UV) light, but some may not filter it all out. Look for a light therapy box that emits as little UV light as possible. (the one I linked earlier is pretty good in that regard)

They produce only a tiny amount of UV light - much less than normal daylight, so it's not a worry in that regard.

But if you've had eye problems, I'd definitely ask your eye doc about it first.

8893 likes this.