OT- Rutgers is no longer considered the birthplace of football by the NFL and media | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Rutgers is no longer considered the birthplace of football by the NFL and media

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
image.jpeg
Yes. You're right.
Never change Rutty. I hate you guys so much I actually kind of miss you. :D

Reaction Score
The NFL disagrees with you.

NFL History by Decade

"1869

Rutgers and Princeton played a college soccer football game, the first ever, November 6. The game used modified London Football Association rules. During the next seven years, rugby gained favor with the major eastern schools over soccer, and modern football began to develop from rugby."

So does the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Birth of Pro Football | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

"On November 6, 1869, Rutgers and Princeton played what was billed as the first college football game."

LOL at you!
Your such a dumb fish, Dave.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We know you do. We can tell by the way you talk about us do much on these boards. But thanks for the compliment.
You mean the way we laugh about you when you come here to tell us how you don't completely suck? Yeah, we do that.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We know you do. We can tell by the way you talk about us do much on these boards. But thanks for the compliment.
Says the Rutgers fan on a UConn board. :rolleyes:

When we played, it was fun, because of the hate. You winning the CR lottery doesn't change the fact that we had a nice rivalry. An honest person could admit that. Now you face nothing but apathy, but hey at least you are getting paid for your relative geographic location and number of cable boxes.

Reaction Score
As a sports fan I never understood the "I know we suck, but look at the company we keep" mentality.

Reaction Score
It's like Paul Revere vs Israel Bissell. Revere did make his short ride in Mass, but Bissell rode from Boston all the way to Philadelphia, an arduous task even to this day with superhighways and automobiles. Revere gets all the glory, despite his accomplishment being the far lesser of the two. And Bissell was from Conn., so we get dissed yet again, just because Revere's name rhymes better in Longfellow's poem. LOL

When a misstatement of historical fact, or deliberate attempt to ignore one becomes the legend, the legend becomes fact.
Might have been an Issac Bissell sent to warn CT. Wikipedia is actually quite useful in correcting history.

Israel Bissell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This "football started in Boston" stuff is already established on Wikipedia. Besides, having McGill and Harvard be involved (rather than Princeton....and Rutgers) makes it more marketable overseas. Send the tourists to Boston!

Reaction Score
If Gus Whitehead (Weisskopf) was born here, instead of being a German immigrant we would be considered first in flight.
You may be right. But Gus also didn't care for fame, as the Wright brothers did. The Wright brothers story will probably die with time since North Carolina has become quite populated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Says the Rutgers fan on a UConn board. :rolleyes:

When we played, it was fun, because of the hate. You winning the CR lottery doesn't change the fact that we had a nice rivalry. An honest person could admit that. Now you face nothing but apathy, but hey at least you are getting paid for your relative geographic location and number of cable boxes.

I don't think it's that. I think you're looking at it from a twisted and wrong perspective. Rutgers fans have always respected UCONN, and the athletic department. Well the ones I know. Until it was rubbed in our faces the basketball teams prowess on both men's and women's side. We never had really any animosity toward the sports end. And then, our nosed got rubbed in crap constantly by you. I don't hate your programs, I dislike them, for the level of arrogance that was displayed for the success of your athletic dept. At least I respect your program, even more so than I will ever respect Syracuse's programs. Hell, I wish solar flare would just hit that entire school. They actas if they're gods gift to sports, especially in basketball, at least you guys won 4 chips in as many years. The exCUSE gave us Melo, smh.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't think it's that. I think you're looking at it from a twisted and wrong perspective. Rutgers fans have always respected UCONN, and the athletic department. Well the ones I know. Until it was rubbed in our faces the basketball teams prowess on both men's and women's side. We never had really any animosity toward the sports end. And then, our nosed got rubbed in crap constantly by you. I don't hate your programs, I dislike them, for the level of arrogance that was displayed for the success of your athletic dept.

... and yet here you are, again.

Frankly, I shudder to think what it would be like if you actually "liked" us.

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don't think it's that. I think you're looking at it from a twisted and wrong perspective. Rutgers fans have always respected UCONN, and the athletic department. Well the ones I know. Until it was rubbed in our faces the basketball teams prowess on both men's and women's side. We never had really any animosity toward the sports end. And then, our nosed got rubbed in crap constantly by you. I don't hate your programs, I dislike them, for the level of arrogance that was displayed for the success of your athletic dept. At least I respect your program, even more so than I will ever respect Syracuse's programs. Hell, I wish solar flare would just hit that entire school. They actas if they're gods gift to sports, especially in basketball, at least you guys won 4 chips in as many years. The exCUSE gave us Melo, smh.

We will all sleep better knowing that we have your respect.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I mean, we are better at hoops than a lot of schools... Certainly nothing personal towards you. You might call it arrogance but like you said it's hard to argue against our performance the last 20+ years. At least we can agree that Cuse's bravado is unearned.

Reaction Score
How many cable boxes were tuned in in 1869? Did they pay to have the Empire State Building red afterward?

Reaction Score
How many cable boxes were tuned in in 1869? Did they pay to have the Empire State Building red afterward?

Neither one existed back then, let alone a radio. If I remember the story correctly, they did tailgate with some horse drawn buggies.

Reaction Score
Neither one existed back then, let alone a radio. If I remember the story correctly, they did tailgate with some horse drawn buggies.
...because college soccer was already a tradition by then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom