OT ~ Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation (NJ.Com) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT ~ Rutgers investigating football coach Kyle Flood for possible rules violation (NJ.Com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nobody ever died for dear old Rutgers ...Delany must give himself a dope slap every time he hears the word Rutgers.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They are playing Schiano's entrance music.
You think Schiano took a ride around campus today? Dusted off his playbook? Probably.

Reaction Score
Ruh-Rho.. Rutgers coach Kyle Flood may have emailed part-time professor, faculty union says

>>But union officials suspect the instructor who received Flood's email related to an academic issue involving his player is a part-time adjunct professor in the Mason Gross School of the Arts on the New Brunswick campus, said David Hughes, president of Rutgers' faculty union.

"You can imagine how someone in those situations would feel," Hughes said. "A guy earning a million dollars is talking to an instructor earning less than $5,000."<<

Reaction Score
Ruh-Rho.. Rutgers coach Kyle Flood may have emailed part-time professor, faculty union says

>>But union officials suspect the instructor who received Flood's email related to an academic issue involving his player is a part-time adjunct professor in the Mason Gross School of the Arts on the New Brunswick campus, said David Hughes, president of Rutgers' faculty union.

"You can imagine how someone in those situations would feel," Hughes said. "A guy earning a million dollars is talking to an instructor earning less than $5,000."<<
It's easy to see why RU and Barchi have no comment right now...this is a blatant NCAA violation (like the UGA swimming coach brought up in a earlier NJ.com article on this incident: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...vestigating_football_coach_kyle_flood_fo.html) and they have to report it. This isn't going to be good for Flood...he has clauses in his contract that could be used for termination....and if not terminated the precedence has been set by the penalty handed down to the UGA swim coach:
In December 2014, the NCAA handed strict penalties against a University of Georgia swimming and diving coach in what's believed to be a similar case.

In that case, the coach was found to have ignored "an unwritten policy that prohibited coaches from communicating with instructors'' and "contacted a professor in the psychology department'' and "proposed that the professor admit the student-athlete to a pass/fail independent study.''

The college athletics governing body ruled: "Because the head coach proposed and acted upon a special arrangement, leveraged by his position on campus and/or his relationship with a faculty member, to ensure that a student-athlete was eligible to compete in the upcoming season, the head coach violated NCAA Bylaw 16. The head coach did not look to the compliance office for any assistance or guidance on this issue.''

In addition, the NCAA ruled the Georgia swimming coach's "conduct not only violated institutional policy but also contrary to the advice provided by athletics department personnel. And to that end, the head coach violated NCAA Bylaw 11.''

As a result, the NCAA deemed the penalties as a Level II violation, which is defined as violations "intended to provide more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive recruiting, competitive or other advantage; include more than a minimal but less than a substantial or extensive impermissible benefit; or involve conduct that may compromise the integrity of the NCAA Collegiate Model.

The NCAA ruled the Georgia coach "shall be suspended from 50 percent of the regular season competition'' during that season and the coach "shall also be restricted from all recruiting duties for the period of one year.''

According to the terms of the contract he signed when he became Rutgers head coach on Jan. 31, 2012, Flood could be terminated for cause or disciplined without pay for "willful misconduct, act(s) of moral turpitude, conduct tending to bring shame or disgrace to the University as determined by'' university officials, or in "violation of university regulations, policies (or) procedures.''

According to the compliance provisions of his contract, Flood "shall be subject to all university regulations, policies and procedures, and legal requirements'' applicable to Rutgers employees, "including ethical standards and conflict of interest requirements.''

Reaction Score
But they did fix one thing:

>>Athletic director Julie Hermann referred all questions to the office of university president Robert Barchi, who was not available for comment for this story on Tuesday afternoon.<<

I have not read about the Hermiantor recently in the local press in Jersey. Considering how much the media is after her and that Rutgers has to go into damage control every time she opens her month, it’s a surprise. I wonder if she is still there or if she quietly joined many other historical figures serving as fill in the Meadwolands?

Reaction Score
In my experience, if your reaction is to immediately lash out at the reporter rather than simply refute with facts, chances are the truth isn't on your side.

And/or he was personally trained by Hermann...

Reaction Score
"I've come to realize that our faculty here at Rugters is beyond reproach"

And how did you learn this? Listen I tried everything but it did not work. I've offered money, helicopter rides and hookers but the faculty always says no. Lol

Scratch the helicopter. The Governor needs it to make his kids’ sports games. It’s commendable to make every effort to catch you’re your kids’ sports games, I do it myself can can attest to the joys of Jersey rush hour traffic; but, using a sate helicopter purchased for $12.5 by the taxpayers is pushing it.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/gov_christie_arrives_at_sons_h.html

The real kicker is that Christie not only used to helicopter to get to the game; but, then had to be picked-up by a state car to be driven the 500 feet from St. Joe’s football stadium up to the baseball stadium and back. WTF?

Also, did not know that the Jersey Governor’s Mansion is located in Princeton, not the less prestigious capital – Trenton. It’s a 75 mile drive, which least a 2 hour ride during rush hour between Drumthwacket in Princeton and St. Joe’s High School in Montvale.

Reaction Score
Fans should be grateful Rutgers is taking Flood email situation seriously | Politi
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...d_be_grateful_rutgers_is_taking_flood_em.html

The Auburn story within is interesting tie-in.

Holy heck, this reads worse than course that UNC was offering. Basically, buries any concept of student athlete. Naturally, as Auburn makes a lot of money for the NCAA, nothing will happen.

“There was a story out of SEC country this week that illustrates the opposite. An Auburn faculty committee voted in 2013 to remove an unpopular undergraduate major called public administration.

The athletic department stepped in to block the move. It turns out, roughly half the 100 students in the curriculum were athletes, including most of the stars of the 2013 football team.

"If the public administration program is eliminated, the [graduation success rate] numbers for our student-athletes will likely decline," a December 2012 internal athletic department memo said, according to the report in The Wall Street Journal.

The athletic department even offered to use its funds to support salaries for its professors and staff. Think about that one. It's one thing for a university to offer "friendly" majors for athletes — and every school has them — but something else entirely for the athletic department to pay for them.

How do you flunk the star quarterback when your paycheck depends on how well he plays on Saturday?”

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
1426977308-CIRCUS_FLOOD_The_Rock_Musical_tickets.jpg

Reaction Score
"Flood could be terminated for cause or disciplined without pay for "willful misconduct, act(s) of moral turpitude, conduct tending to bring shame or disgrace to the University as determined by university officials"

This is easy to get out of... SUNJ has no shame.

Reaction Score
In my experience, if your reaction is to immediately lash out at the reporter rather than simply refute with facts, chances are the truth isn't on your side.

Especially if you refute them with this: "And two, to inquire as to whether or not there would be an opportunity to earn a better grade. This practice is not unusual at Rutgers."

Highly inappropriate.

Reaction Score
NJ.com doubles down:

Rutgers coach Flood must be punished if he tarnished school's integrity | Editorial
http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf...t_be_punished_if_he_tarnish.html#incart_river

Hope Flood does not expect to be saved by his University President or the AD. Barchi, who was personally hired by Governor Christie, happily threw AD Pernetti under the bus after the issues with former basketball coach Rice came to light. He then hired Hermann, who, in light of everything that she has said and not done, has stood by her. Thus, she is not being sacrificed. Flood's best chance for survival is with the boosters and local high school coaches (unlike CT, local NJ coaches do matter because of the 3 of high quality recruits coming out of the state) as both groups have been very supportive of him; but, they may jump ship if Schiano could be brought back.

Reaction Score
Large chunks of fecal matter hitting the fan... someone internally has an axe to grind w/ the Athletic Department w/ these kind of leaks.

Rutgers coach Kyle Flood defied academic support staff when he contacted professor, sources say
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ach_kyle_flood_told_not_to_contact_unive.html

>>The two officials, who requested anonymity because the investigation into whether Flood violated university policy is ongoing, said the inquiry isn't simply about an email sent from Flood's private account. "It's about Kyle trying to circumvent the process and trying to get the kid eligible,'' one of the university officials told NJ Advance Media.<<

>>The communication with him was clear as to the status of Nadir's grade and he still decided he could fight it,'' said one official, who claimed Flood "had a long paper trail of information'' and still contacted the professor.

Another official said: "It was already done and everybody in the program knew it. Kyle was told, 'It's done, leave it alone.' ''<<

Another read:http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...-improvement-tim-beckman-kyle-flood-my-column

Reaction Score
Hope Flood does not expect to be saved by his University President or the AD. Barchi, who was personally hired by Governor Christie, happily threw AD Pernetti under the bus after the issues with former basketball coach Rice came to light. He then hired Hermann, who, in light of everything that she has said and not done, has stood by her. Thus, she is not being sacrificed. Flood's best chance for survival is with the boosters and local high school coaches (unlike CT, local NJ coaches do matter because of the 3 of high quality recruits coming out of the state) as both groups have been very supportive of him; but, they may jump ship if Schiano could be brought back.

I would love to get Pernetti at UConn. If not as AD, maybe his substantial ego and probable desire to show his alma mater that they made a mistake would allow him to take a realignment-based position. I'm not saying he got RU into the B1G, but I have some close second-hand ties and that guy got things done (even if he pissed a few people off along the way).

Reaction Score
I don't know that this is a big deal. Good grief the coach wants to see if there is any way to get a star player eligible? Heaven forbid! Coaches have only been ding it since, oh I don't know, since there has been organized college sports. It doesn't seem that he demanded the kid get reinstated. He just asked if there was anything the kid could do to get a passing grade? Seems like someone is out to get Flood making a federal case out of this. It is more of a case that calls for a brief email saying go through your academic advisor next. My guess is that the academic advisor is the guy whose nose is out of joint.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Especially if you refute them with this: "And two, to inquire as to whether or not there would be an opportunity to earn a better grade. This practice is not unusual at Rutgers."

Highly inappropriate.
Would you feel the same way if it was an academic adviser making the contact?

Reaction Score
I don't know that this is a big deal. Good grief the coach wants to see if there is any way to get a star player eligible? Heaven forbid! Coaches have only been ding it since, oh I don't know, since there has been organized college sports. It doesn't seem that he demanded the kid get reinstated. He just asked if there was anything the kid could do to get a passing grade? Seems like someone is out to get Flood making a federal case out of this. It is more of a case that calls for a brief email saying go through your academic advisor next. My guess is that the academic advisor is the guy whose nose is out of joint.

Um...

The two officials, who requested anonymity because the investigation into whether Flood violated university policy is ongoing, said the inquiry isn't simply about an email sent from Flood's private account. "It's about Kyle trying to circumvent the process and trying to get the kid eligible,'' one of the university officials told NJ Advance Media.

Reaction Score

Maybe, maybe not; but, it is well know that the Rutgers Faculty Union has been gunning for the Athletic department for years now, primarily due to academic programs getting cut while athletic programs, even if they are a financial mess, continue to get more funding. Thus, the Faculty will jump on any slip-up by the Athletic Department. Oh, and AD Hermann's statement "that would be great" if the local newspaper (Newark's Star Ledger) shut down after 150+ layoffs in 2014 did not win any supporters in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom