OT: Rutgers coach search | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Rutgers coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
^ funny stuff ... when Temple & FIU coaches rather stay put, what does that say?

Reaction Score
^ funny stuff ... when Temple & FIU coaches rather stay put, what does that say?

I think there is a lot more too it than just the program they will be taking over. Remember coaches have families, sometimes children, and most have wives. Wives may have jobs, children go to school etc. Sometimes not the easiest decision to make for these guys. But take it FWIW.

Reaction Score
If you look at one of RutgersAl's post on their site, Schiano made theRutgers job the #1 most desirable job in the country!
I couldn't help but chuckle at ESPN.com's frontpage headlines: UCONN Women beating Duke made the cut. RU's hiring of their new football HC-nowhere to be found on the front page. Funny. Not important, but funny.

Reaction Score
Here's a post from the Rutgers board. This guy seems to be one of the few who is not defensive about the hire.

Bubba Nooch
Post #205
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
So let me get this straight.....Reply
We now have a head coach who has zero head coaching experience at the college level. His only experience at the coordinator level was where he was "co-coordinator" of arguably the worst college football offense in history. Worse yet, he was solely responsible for the recruitment and development of the weakest unit of this historically inept offense - many on this board wanted him fired. In fact the unit was so bad that coach schiano was forced to bring in cigs to replace flood. Cigs was successful in turning around the offense but now has the guy who he was brought on board to replace is becoming his boss. This is the best we could do?

I guess I'll sum up my feelings by saying I doubt there is another bcs team that would give flood a coordinator job but now he is our head coach. What am I missing?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Posted on 1/30 10:31 PM | IP: Logged
xccccc

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Here's a post from the Rutgers board. This guy seems to be one of the few who is not defensive about the hire.

Bubba Nooch
Post #205
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore
So let me get this straight.....Reply
We now have a head coach who has zero head coaching experience at the college level. His only experience at the coordinator level was where he was "co-coordinator" of arguably the worst college football offense in history. Worse yet, he was solely responsible for the recruitment and development of the weakest unit of this historically inept offense - many on this board wanted him fired. In fact the unit was so bad that coach schiano was forced to bring in cigs to replace flood. Cigs was successful in turning around the offense but now has the guy who he was brought on board to replace is becoming his boss. This is the best we could do?

I guess I'll sum up my feelings by saying I doubt there is another bcs team that would give flood a coordinator job but now he is our head coach. What am I missing?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Posted on 1/30 10:31 PM | IP: Logged
xccccc
You're missing that Tim Pernetti is a secret genius, which will be revealed at some point in the future. Right now he just seems like some guy Schiano installed.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Here's a couple sentences from the NYT writeup that just don't make no sense (to me anyway):

Replacing Schiano, who led the program out of college football doldrums, will be a formidable task. Schiano was 68-67 in 11 seasons at Rutgers, turning the Scarlet Knights into a perennial Big East contender.

One game over .500 lifetime = perennial contender and formidable to replace? I know he brought Rutgers back from the grave, but they were not perennial contenders, unless you redefine "perennial" to mean "for a few weeks once in 2006".

Reaction Score
Anybody see Rutger's OL play the last couple of seasons?

I think Rutgers ran out of dough. They hired a CEO on the cheap.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Here's a couple sentences from the NYT writeup that just don't make no sense (to me anyway):

One game over .500 lifetime = perennial contender and formidable to replace? I know he brought Rutgers back from the grave, but they were not perennial contenders, unless you redefine "perennial" to mean "for a few weeks once in 2006".
Flood better hope they keep that cupcake OOC schedule going...

Reaction Score
When you promote an assistant to please the current players or to save a recruiting class, you have made an incredibly short sighted decision and will most likely pay for it down the line. The only break I give Rutgers here is the fact that Schiano put them in a real bind with the timing of it. No one is going to make a rushed decision to go to Rutgers when they already have a job.

Reaction Score

i think you could say just about anyone but Syracuse has been a perennial BE contender for the last 4-5 years.

Reaction Score
to me this is a comedically terrible decision. at least when WVU did it they did it after the guy won a game nobody else in the country thought they had a shot in. obviously at the end of the day you never know how someone will turn out but i don't think it looks good at all. wasn't this guy their OLine coach? their OLine was lousy! this hire could start the end of Pernitti's career at RU

Reaction Score
this hire could start the end of Pernitti's career at RU

I agree that this could be that move that puts him on watch towards an eventual firing. In reading some of the posts on the RU boards, it's interesting to note that almost everything Pernetti did in the last few days was geared toward saving this recruiting class, instead of toward making a good hire for the longer term. He was on the phone with every single recruit individually. He was in touch with their coaches in at least some cases as well. As the AD, when you have an incredibly short amount of time to make a HC hiring, this seems like a poor use of your time. In the end, I believe he had serious interviews with just ONE outside candidate, that being Cristobal. His second serious interview was with Flood....yesterday!! ...only after Cristobal turned him down. How can you say that you've done your job well...with that type of performance??

By the way, this guy Flood has not only not had any head coaching experience at the college level, but he wasn't even a full coordinator at the college level. He split duties as OC for a very brief time before this last season. The offense was terrible though and that is why they went after and hired Cignetti. So what better candidate to run an entire ship, than someone who hasn't even captained a dingy?!?

Reaction Score
I just saw this tweet from Mike Pettigano of PSU Black Shoe Diaries:
Mike P. @ BSD (@MikePettigano)
1/31/12 5:22 PM
Just heard from a NJ source that Tom Bradley is in line to be Rutgers' next D-coordinator. Recruits apparently were tipped off to keep them.

Not good recruiting wise for us OR Pitt and PSU if true!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom