OT: Rutgers coach search | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Rutgers coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i can't imagine compensation being too much of a sticking point. what i'd read said Cristobal was getting around 400k, and that it was likely RU would offer him in the 750k-1 million range, which seems appropriate. i can't see Cristobal turning down a 100% pay raise for money, and i can't imagine RU thinking they can get a decent replacement for much less.

unless one side was being downright ridiculous it seems like either he never wanted to job and only used it to finagle a better deal from FIU or PErnitti wanted him to keep certain coaches, in which case Flood might be the replacement by default. since i haven't read anything about Cristo getting a pay raise i'd guess the latter

Reaction Score
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/01/mario_cristobal_turns_down_off.html
the star ledger confirms that. bad news for RU, i think he'd have been a great hire. at this point i think they'd be better off waiting until they've had time to do an exhaustive search rather than crowning Flood just to get it over with.

I agree with your comment Matt. How many guys are they going to "save" at this point by naming the assistant Flood? My guess is not too many..if any at all. Those that wanted to stay have already announced their intentions. I think Giacone is still up in the air, but he could return as well. Who knows on Hamilton? He could easily go elsewhere, even if they announce Flood as the new hire. So it would be a gamble move to hire Flood without him having the HC experience. Then you'll be hoping he turns out to be good over the next 3-4 years. If not, you've just wasted your wonderful recruiting class.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
i can't imagine compensation being too much of a sticking point. what i'd read said Cristobal was getting around 400k, and that it was likely RU would offer him in the 750k-1 million range, which seems appropriate. i can't see Cristobal turning down a 100% pay raise for money, and i can't imagine RU thinking they can get a decent replacement for much less.

unless one side was being downright ridiculous it seems like either he never wanted to job and only used it to finagle a better deal from FIU or PErnitti wanted him to keep certain coaches, in which case Flood might be the replacement by default. since i haven't read anything about Cristo getting a pay raise i'd guess the latter

Schiano was making almost $2.5MM per year...plus a house, car, expenses, etc. I bet Cristobal wanted at least half of that (if not much more) and like you, Rutgers was thinking more like $0.8MM/yr.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
At this point, I'd be sick to my stomach if I was a Rutgers fan. (I felt dirty just typing that)

Reaction Score
Schiano was making almost $2.5MM per year...plus a house, car, expenses, etc. I bet Cristobal wanted at least half of that (if not much more) and like you, Rutgers was thinking more like $0.8MM/yr.

And don't forget about the chopper!! lol I think the rejection may have been more staff-related than money. While RU may have wanted him to hold onto these valuable assistants, he may have thought about it from another angle. Consider the control factor. You're told to keep X number of guys, say 3-5. Going forward, this group of guys now represent a potential faction who could align against your philosophy. They could bring up how GS did things..which they thought was better...and now you've lost some of your authority. Talk about sinking your own ship! He may have said...no thanks..for that reason alone!

Reaction Score
As much as I enjoy seeing Rutgers flailing about, as long as we are in the NBE it's really not in our best interests for them to return to their days of utter futility. We need them to be at least respectable to help rebuild the league's image. Every year just one or two notches below UConn in the standings would be fine with me. Hopefully Flood, or whoever they hire, will be able to deliver the required level of performance.

Reaction Score
As much as I enjoy seeing Rutgers flailing about, as long as we are in the NBE it's really not in our best interests for them to return to their days of utter futility. We need them to be at least respectable to help rebuild the league's image. Every year just one or two notches below UConn in the standings would be fine with me. Hopefully Flood, or whoever they hire, will be able to deliver the required level of performance.

i strongly disagree here. before Cuse and Pitt left i'd have agreed with you that a strong BE is important. at this point that ship has sailed. at this point the whole NBE is just a beauty contest to get invited elsewhere in 5 years, so i'd rather Rutgers look as ugly as possible

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to see KC Keeler now become a candidate. He has the NJ roots (from NJ and was at Div3 Rowan before getting the Delaware gig) and is willing to take a lower salary ($0.8MM-$1.0MM/yr). Plus, Flood was actually a coach under Keeler at Delaware before taking the Rutgers job a few years ago. So they are already familiar with each other and it probably would be agreeable to Keeler to keep the majority of Rutgers current coaching staff in place.

I would just be surprised to see Rutgers settle for Flood at this point. That would be a huge mistake for Rutgers and I think they know it.

Reaction Score
Supposedly it's Flood/Floyd, whoever the "interim" coach is now. Per Mike Quick tweet or message of some sort (saw it on the RU board).

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score

Although, if they were to implode, that would get rid of the ridiculous theory that Rutgers will deliver another conference the NYC market. I know we all know it is not true here...but some of the dolts running the other conferences may actually believe it (ie...see the expectation that BCU was going to deliver the Boston market). If Rutgers implodes, that will eliminate them as a viable candidate for another conference when the next round expansion comes calling (not that I am worried about Rutgers stealing a spot from us...but you never know with the idiots running conferences these days).

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/01/mario_cristobal_turns_down_off.html
the star ledger confirms that. bad news for RU, i think he'd have been a great hire. at this point i think they'd be better off waiting until they've had time to do an exhaustive search rather than crowning Flood just to get it over with.

I'd agree with this. I also have a hard time understanding how an O-Line coach could be promoted to Head Coach and they would still expect the Offensive Coordinator to stay? I'm not sure he has a ton of options right now given the timeframe but can you see Cignetti sticking around for that?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
i strongly disagree here. before Cuse and Pitt left i'd have agreed with you that a strong BE is important. at this point that ship has sailed. at this point the whole NBE is just a beauty contest to get invited elsewhere in 5 years, so i'd rather Rutgers look as ugly as possible

Not sure why the requirements to move conferences have changed in your opinion...

Seems to me it's still some sort of mix of fanbase size, fertile recruiting territory, brands, and new markets. On-field performance, as evidenced by Pitt and Cuse really hasn't mattered much.

Beating a strong RU year in and year out (as well as beating all other Big East teams) will make UConn grow the fanbase, grow the brand and bring the Southern New England market, thus making us more attractive and win the beauty contest. You don't get respect by beating poor teams, so we need a strong RU- just not too strong.

Reaction Score
SNY just reported that Flood is in. Not a good day at Rutgers.

Imagine the hand wringing here last year if Hughes got the job, you want a guy who has had success at the head coaching level. Flood has never been a head coach until now.

Reaction Score
I know it has only been a few days, but I get the feeling filling the Schiano void may be harder than expected.

Reaction Score
I think this hire will save this class for them. If Flood keeps the staff intact he has a shot to recruit well in NJ...and that will make them competitive takent wise. From all the everything I saw on NJ.com ( Bergen Record) and twitter he seemed to be choice for NJ HS coaches...like P was here. And unless Pernetti grossly over paid him...which I would bet he didn't...Rutgers just shaved approx $1- $1.1 million off their athletic dept budget with this hire.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
...Rutgers just shaved approx $1- $1.1 million off their athletic dept budget with this hire.

But that will be offset by the reduction in ticket sales. Rutgers has a horrible home schedule. Now they will have a horrible team and no longer have the 'Schiano mystique' to attract fans.

They may get some good recruits this year and next due to the contacts in NJ. But the on-field performance will be dismal and Rutgers will lose it's shine quickly. Rutgers picked a poor time to be cheap...they had some momentum and had actually built a foundation to build on...but they decided to go cheap and will go back to being Rutgers-of-old! Which is all good to me as a UConn fan!

Flood = Stewart (WVU) & Spaz (BCU)

Reaction Score
Q ~ if you were Cristobal, why would you take THIS job. I recognize more money, but this guy has made a real name for himself in a short period of time. What is the allure of spending the next stage of your career in New Brunswick, NJ? If I were him, I am not sure there would be wnough to take this opportunity. If he does, he takes himsel out of contention for other jobs for a period of time. And if the RU thing does not go well .....
If you look at one of RutgersAl's post on their site, Schiano made theRutgers job the #1 most desirable job in the country!

Reaction Score
I think this hire will save this class for them. If Flood keeps the staff intact he has a shot to recruit well in NJ...and that will make them competitive takent wise. From all the everything I saw on NJ.com ( Bergen Record) and twitter he seemed to be choice for NJ HS coaches...like P was here. And unless Pernetti grossly over paid him...which I would bet he didn't...Rutgers just shaved approx $1- $1.1 million off their athletic dept budget with this hire.

This will be interesting! The best thing about this hire is that Flood will likely keep the recruiting class mostly intact. But that was almost a completed job already, with the exception of Giacone and the biggest one...Hamilton, who hasn't even committed yet!

Beyond securing the recruits for this year, will he be able to keep the staff intact? I can't help but feel this may not be the given that so many feel it will be. A couple of these guys may have felt like they could have been the HC at RU and prefer not to hang around RU. Also, don't forget that three of these guys came over from Pitt just a year ago, one of whom, Cignetti, is the OC. Do they want to stay at RU under the now former O Line coach?

Finally, it was interesting to learn that most of RU's assistant coaches have tenures of less than three seasons. Flood is the longest tenured assistant at RU. But since most guys haven't been there that long, do they see this an their opportunity to look for better situations? The dynamics of the staff could certainly change with this transition. What Rutgers has lost is their rainmaker in Schiano. Flood just doesn't seem like he'll have the marquee value with the recruits that GS did.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
This will be interesting! The best thing about this hire is that Flood will likely keep the recruiting class mostly intact. But that was almost a completed job already, with the exception of Giacone and the biggest one...Hamilton, who hasn't even committed yet!

Beyond securing the recruits for this year, will he be able to keep the staff intact? I can't help but feel this may not be the given that so many feel it will be. A couple of these guys may have felt like they could have been the HC at RU and prefer not to hang around RU. Also, don't forget that three of these guys came over from Pitt just a year ago, one of whom, Cignetti, is the OC. Do they want to stay at RU under the now former O Line coach?

Finally, it was interesting to learn that most of RU's assistant coaches have tenures of less than three seasons. Flood is the longest tenured assistant at RU. But since most guys haven't been there that long, do they see this an their opportunity to look for better situations? The dynamics of the staff could certainly change with this transition. What Rutgers has lost is their rainmaker in Schiano. Flood just doesn't seem like he'll have the marquee value with the recruits that GS did.

At this point, most jobs around the country are already filled and it will be hard to find opportunities at other schools (without taking a step back/down in the process). I have a feeling you will see all of the coaches stay on, but with the potential of significant turnover on the staff after this year.

Reaction Score
In the long run, this is a terrible hire, it was done to appease some recruits and have a coach in place before signing day. You don't let recruits dictate the hiring process, it's absurd, you have to hire the right guy and the fact that Cristo and Azziato passed them up was not good news.

For AD pernetti to make a hire like flood is inexcusable. As a Uconn fan I'm happy they went with a mediocre hire, but if I were a rutgers fan I'd be livid.

Reaction Score
At this point, most jobs around the country are already filled and it will be hard to find opportunities at other schools (without taking a step back/down in the process). I have a feeling you will see all of the coaches stay on, but with the potential of significant turnover on the staff after this year.

you may be correct USG, this may be a stop gap hire for someone bigger, but that can also end up being a bad situation down the road.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Get ready for the inevitable "Flood on the Banks" headlines, ad nauseum.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
Don't look now, but Coach PP is already up to 5th on the ranking of Big East Head Coaching seniority:)

That is sad!

Reaction Score
In the long run, this is a terrible hire, it was done to appease some recruits and have a coach in place before signing day. You don't let recruits dictate the hiring process, it's absurd, you have to hire the right guy and the fact that Cristo and Azziato passed them up was not good news.

For AD pernetti to make a hire like flood is inexcusable. As a Uconn fan I'm happy they went with a mediocre hire, but if I were a rutgers fan I'd be livid.
AAAAAANNNNNND there it is....this program has priorities so out of whack that they:
a) spend $5 MILLION on a recruit "lounge" but their practice bubble collapsed because it's so crappy;
b) Builds a huge, expensive stadium addition that they were GROSSLY unprepared to pay for;
c) Hire a HC no one seems to think is HC-material just to satisfy some recruits-HELLO short-term planning! Let the inmates run the asylum......

Many over there supposedly want like crazy to break NJ "Napoleon Complex" stereotypes, yet they reinforce them constantly with their "Hey! Look at us! Shiny things!" decisions.

I was nervous they were about to UPGRADE and get MC but I think they just "pulled a Rutgers." Flood may turn out ok, but given their stadium/facilities/recent momentum, I am SHOCKED they couldn't/didn't get a better hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom