OT: Rutgers coach search | The Boneyard

OT: Rutgers coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought they were trying hard for Addazio... guess he likes being at Temple

Reaction Score
If I were Rutgers I would look at Boston College as the prototype for not taking an existing assistant with no head coaching experience and making him head coach. BCU took the easy route in promoting Spaziani after the Jags firing, and it probably saved a few commits and prevented a couple of transfers, but the program is is much worse shape a few years later.

It is very difficult task for a former assistant to now become the head honcho and have to deal with all the players, coaches, media and others from a totally different perspective. A guy can be the greatest assistant and the players just love him as a coach, but those atributes sometimes don't transfer to the HC position.

If I were Rutgers I would bite the bullet and find a new coach from outsider the program. That may create a bit of short-term internal turmoil, but it can also prevent some major issues down the road. A guy like Cristobal would be perfect as he probably doesn't have the power to tell the AD that he wants to bring in his own staff, so Rutgers could hold onto most if not all of their recruiting and coaching personnel

Reaction Score
BC took really the only route they had because they lost credibility with the absurd way they handled Jags.

RU may not be the most historic of programs, but they can attract a very good coach if they run a good process. Big IF......

Reaction Score
RU may be a bit too focused on saving 4-star recruits rather than taking their time and finding the right coach. It is a tough situation for an AD to be thrown into. They can be like their fans a focus on the results in February, or they go through the process and hire an experienced HC to focus on results in the fall.

Reaction Score
Q ~ if you were Cristobal, why would you take THIS job. I recognize more money, but this guy has made a real name for himself in a short period of time. What is the allure of spending the next stage of your career in New Brunswick, NJ? If I were him, I am not sure there would be wnough to take this opportunity. If he does, he takes himsel out of contention for other jobs for a period of time. And if the RU thing does not go well .....

Reaction Score
BC took really the only route they had because they lost credibility with the absurd way they handled Jags.

RU may not be the most historic of programs, but they can attract a very good coach if they run a good process. Big IF......

The whole situation up at BCU is really perplexing. They just seem to have drifted into a state of mediocrity in the two major sports. Te oddest part is....they don't really seem to care! There doesn't appear to be any significant outward concern about it. This is suggestive of a real absence of leadership from the top. Thankfully, we seem to have the exact opposite scenario playing out with our university leadership and programs. The pendulum that's swinging in our favor is showing no signs of slowing down...it actually just seems to be picking up more speed!

Reaction Score
If Temple has a big year, he'd be in line for an SEC job. Cant talk about loyalty if he does one year at Temple, one at Rutgers and then leaves for an opening in SEC.

Reaction Score
footballscoop.com has unconfirmed reports that Cristobal will be the guy.. If that is the case u gotta wonder if former UCONN coach Todd Orlando follows him to Piscataway, NJ....

Reaction Score
Q ~ if you were Cristobal, why would you take THIS job. I recognize more money, but this guy has made a real name for himself in a short period of time. What is the allure of spending the next stage of your career in New Brunswick, NJ? If I were him, I am not sure there would be wnough to take this opportunity. If he does, he takes himsel out of contention for other jobs for a period of time. And if the RU thing does not go well .....

he'll be more than doubling his salary for starters. i can't think of any other opportunites that would open up until after next season starts, and any situations that open up at that time are likely to be due to the previous coach leaving a mess in his wake. also with the BE up for grabs this is probably his quickest/easiest path to a BCS game. from the sounds of a more recent article from a few minutes ago it looks like Cristobal is likely.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/01/rutgers_likely_to_name_mario_c.html

Reaction Score
I kind of feared they would do the right thing and hire Mario. I suspect Rutgers is about to really upgrade their football program. If I were a Rutgers fan I'd be giddy right now.

Reaction Score
I kind of feared they would do the right thing and hire Mario. I suspect Rutgers is about to really upgrade their football program. If I were a Rutgers fan I'd be giddy right now.

Yup, There is no reason why Rutgers can't be every bit as good or better than WV.

Reaction Score

Cristobal’s discussions with Pernetti, which the person said went well, came a day after Pernetti interviewed interim coach Kyle Flood, the Scarlet Knights' offensive line coach. Those two have emerged as the front-runners, while Temple coach Steve Addazio, originally on Pernetti’s short list, has faded into the background, one of the people said.
On its website today, the Philadelphia Inquirer, citing an unnamed source, reported that Temple coach Steve Addazio was staying put. Addazio had been on Pernetti's original short list of candidates and the two had an informal conversation, the person said, but the mixed reactions to him from some of the state’s more prominent high school coaches appears to have deterred Pernetti from pursuing him further.
According to the Star Ledger, it doesn't sound as if the decision was in Addazio's hands after all.

Reaction Score
A former AD at a division 1-A school in the Northeast very recently said the following in the press:

"I think every head-coaching hiring comes down to a few basic criteria: Head-coaching experience (but this is not a “must”) . . . familiarity with the teams in the conference . . . knowledge of, and contacts within, your primary recruiting base . . . and being able to hire a competent staff that also has recruiting familiarities."

Cristobal is not the best hire to fit those criteria, but he's not bad either. His experience recruiting in Florida would definitely help with a move to Rutgers, and he was on Schiano's staff a decade ago, so is not entirely unfamiliar with the recruiting territory and conference competition, but that said, the big east in 2012 moving forward is going to be a hell of alot different than the big east was in 2001-2003, so that previous Rutgers experience doesn't really count for much.

As a UConn alum, I"m not really concerned at all, if Cristobal comes in, I'd be looking at who he puts on his staff though.

Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly. A guy who has cultivated relationships in Florida AND can coach. Me thinks he brings more to the table than the "F.A.M.I.L.Y." salesperson.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Agree wholeheartedly. A guy who has cultivated relationships in Florida AND can coach. Me thinks he brings more to the table than the "F.A.M.I.L.Y." salesperson.

Cristobal would be a very good hire for Rutgers in the short term. Although it would create a very interesting prop bet....what will happen first: Schiano is fired by the TB Bucs, or Cristobal leaves Rutgers for an ACC/SEC job? I put the over/under on both at 2 years.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If I'm RU, I still hire Bradley with the condition that Jay Paterno isn't on his staff. There is no one available that is better for their recruiting area.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
If I'm RU, I still hire Bradley with the condition that Jay Paterno isn't on his staff. There is no one available that is better for their recruiting area.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
I'd agree except for the fact that the whole PSU thing hasn't entirely shaken out yet. There's a ton of risk there... and I don't think any University needs to be associated with that. Two or three years? Then maybe.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
lol temple coach and fiu coach both said no. floyd is getting attention and the giants ol coach now.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
My guess is that Cristobal turned down the job for 2 reasons:

1. Was being forced to keep a bunch of the the coaching staff and wasn't given the free reigns on his own staff
2. Compensation. With the Rutgers budget issues, I bet the BOG is using this as a way to save money by lowering the salary of the coaching staff. I would not be surprised if Cristobal was playing hardball with his contract (knowing Rutgers has very little options at this point) and the BOG wanted nothing to do with Cristobal's salary demands.

Looks like it will be Floyd at this point. Which is good news for UConn.

PS...surprised we haven't seen KC Keelor's name out there for this job more. Or maybe he is just hesitant because he got shot down by UConn last year and doesn't want to be turned down 2 years in a row at a Big East school. Although I bet he is trying to get in quietly this time (as opposed to the public PR tries he made last year for UConn).

Reaction Score
Isn't it Flood not Floyd?
This pleases me....the fact that people won't even recognize the name of their soon-to-probably-be Head Coach.....that's a good thing! I know you know who he is and the previous poster just mistyped it, but it highlights the REAL truth across the country.....People will utter a collective "Who?!" when Floyd/Flood is hired. He he he.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom