OT - Rutgers and the Big Ten | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Rutgers and the Big Ten

Reaction Score
Rutgers is located in the NYC DMA. UConn is not. Since they neither is in the same state as NYC, I think it was easier to get the higher sub fees being in the DMA. Thy are also AAU (Big10 presidents gave the OK for an AAU school to be added) and they were also contiguous wit the existing Big10.
So you put your conference's reputation on the line for a number of menial criteria - Rutgers is the laughing stock of college athletics but at least New Jersey borders Pennsylvania. Nice.

Reaction Score
What they don't have is a location problem or a population problem. Let's face it, athletics is NOT why Rutgers was invited to the B1G.

I dunno. Some of the reasoning could've been RU's potential compared to what they were producing. The thinking could've been that the B10 and its money could've finally gotten them to take advantage of their strong HS recruits and large potential fanbase. You'd think there was nowhere to go but up. (Though they keep challenging that notion.)

Reaction Score
From a football only perspective Rutgers was viewed ( although they were given some leeway) as having a better historical football resume than UConn.
Add to that they are the Flag ship University of a State of 9million people,
satisfied the requirementd for AAU ,and the somewhat flexable policy of contiguousness.
From the contract the B1G signed it's pretty hard to question that decision.
Although we will never know if a UConn add would have achieved the same results. Our opinions really don't matter especially in the face of facts.
Let's get over this Rutgers thing ,lamentation is for losers, bringing down or denigrating someone else does nothing to improve you ,so create a winning football tradition and good things will happen. As the old saying goes "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a drum to your door"

Reaction Score
From a football only perspective Rutgers was viewed ( although they were given some leeway) as having a better historical football resume than UConn.
Add to that they are the Flag ship University of a State of 9million people,
satisfied the requirementd for AAU ,and the somewhat flexable policy of contiguousness.
From the contract the B1G signed it's pretty hard to question that decision.
Although we will never know if a UConn add would have achieved the same results. Our opinions really don't matter especially in the face of facts.
Let's get over this Rutgers thing ,lamentation is for losers, bringing down or denigrating someone else does nothing to improve you ,so create a winning football tradition and good things will happen. As the old saying goes "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a drum to your door"

I have not thought much about Rutgers since we stopped playing them. And refusing to view RU as a comparable athletic institution to Michigan is common sense, not sour grapes.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how a D1 team can lose by 78. My tiny D3 school in Maryland might lose by less than 78. Might be by 71, but whatever. Wow.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
great story, sounds like you have a great fam.
good to know the directional Michigans have a Northern to accompany Central Eastern and Western. Chips, Eagles, and Broncs I believe.

NMU has had a pretty good football tradition, at least through the late eighties. We were D2 national champs in 1975 and made the D2 playoffs as late as 1987. I loved my time in the UP (thus my dayooper handle). CMU and EMU were D2 football up through 1974. CMU was actually the D2 champ in 1974, the year before they went D1 and joined the MAC.

GO CATS!

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't understand how a D1 team can lose by 78. My tiny D3 school in Maryland might lose by less than 78. Might be by 71, but whatever. Wow.

Easy, they gave up. They aren't 78 points worse than Michigan, they just quit. Michigan ran the same play over and over again. The Rutgers players told the Michigan players they just wanted the game over with and this was in the first half.

Reaction Score
Easy, they gave up. They aren't 78 points worse than Michigan, they just quit. Michigan ran the same play over and over again. The Rutgers players told the Michigan players they just wanted the game over with and this was in the first half.
Rutgers may be awful, but I think that says something about the players and coaching staff when the players give up like that.

Reaction Score
Rutgers this year against Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State:

Outscored 224-0
Outgained 2,258 yards to 382

You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Rutgers this year against Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State:

Outscored 224-0
Outgained 2,258 yards to 382

You're welcome.

Living in NJ, I am keeping my mouth shut this year. I would losing badly to Michigan (78-0), Penn State (39-0) and even Indiana (33-27) in font of 40/50K over losing at home to Syracuse, UCF and Temple at home in front of 20/30K (likely <10K for the Tulane game) any day season. Just not a good season.

Reaction Score
Living in NJ, I am keeping my mouth shut this year. I would losing badly to Michigan (78-0), Penn State (39-0) and even Indiana (33-27) in font of 40/50K over losing at home to Syracuse, UCF and Temple at home in front of 20/30K (likely <10K for the Tulane game) any day season. Just not a good season.

That's fair, but man, Rutgers is setting football back 148 years.

Reaction Score
That's fair, but man, Rutgers is setting football back 148 years.

We all know the reasons why Rutgers was added to The B1G, but dear lord outside of 2 or 3 sports they are completely out of their depth. They were absolutely curb stomped by UM/OSU/MSU, and had Saturday Night's Game not been played in an ice storm The Lions could have dropped 60+ on them. The final total yardage on Saturday was 549-87. That is abysmal. The scary thing is that besides the talent deficit on the field, Ash looks even more clueless on the sidelines than Diaco. I guess RU was hoping that some of OSU's Championship Stink would rub off on them. The problem is that Ash was middling at best at OSU, bailed out by essentially an NFL Defense. They will suck for the next 3 years and likely be hiring another coach to try to return them to the days of Harvard Mon-Fri and USC on Sat LOL.

Reaction Score
We all know the reasons why Rutgers was added to The B1G, but dear lord outside of 2 or 3 sports they are completely out of their depth. They were absolutely curb stomped by UM/OSU/MSU, and had Saturday Night's Game not been played in an ice storm The Lions could have dropped 60+ on them. The final total yardage on Saturday was 549-87. That is abysmal. The scary thing is that besides the talent deficit on the field, Ash looks even more clueless on the sidelines than Diaco. I guess RU was hoping that some of OSU's Championship Stink would rub off on them. The problem is that Ash was middling at best at OSU, bailed out by essentially an NFL Defense. They will suck for the next 3 years and likely be hiring another coach to try to return them to the days of Harvard Mon-Fri and USC on Sat LOL.

I would give Ash a pass because it's easy to look overwhelmed when you flat out have very little talent to work with. But I agree with the other sentiments.

In fairness to Rutgers, they're essentially still operating on an AAC budget against the Big Ten. Once they're full members, I'd like to see how they compete. They're basically about to quadruple their media revenue in the next few years. That will leave a lot of room for facility upgrades, staff raises and a lot of resources to amp up their ability to fit in against the Big Ten. That's not to suggest in five years they're going from the bottom to top of the standings, but it might look a bit different. Right now though? Yikes.

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, UConn is the university for the State of Connecticut, which includes Fairfield County and Fairfield County is officially part of the NYC DMA.
So by that standard UMass is in the Boston DMA and the University of Florida is in the Miami and Tampa Bay DMA, er, well the entire state DMA?

Reaction Score
So by that standard UMass is in the Boston DMA and the University of Florida is in the Miami and Tampa Bay DMA, er, well the entire state DMA?
Yes. The SEC Network reaps big profits in Miami, Tampa, and the rest of the state (well away from Gainesville) due to UF's statewide appeal. Hopefully UConn's appeal in NYC and Boston will be recognized by ACC or B1G.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has nothing to complain about. UCONN would gladly accept an offer from the B1G that was a lot lower than the one Rutgers received.

Reaction Score
Didn't Rutgers enter the B1G the same time as Maryland get gets less than Maryland gets?

LOL - what a loser program!

Had to do w/ AAC exit fee vig versus ACC Exit fee vig --- big difference in assistance required.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom