OT - Rt 8 between Seymour & Shelton = deathtrap | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Rt 8 between Seymour & Shelton = deathtrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had no idea it was a woman driving the wrong way. We definitely need the government to intervene, ASAP.

Reaction Score
So your solution is to do nothing because it might upset the Greenwich, Darien , Stamford crowd? This is something that should have been addressed decades ago but as long as the Fairfield County folk are disturbed as least as possible billions will continue to be wasted on fuel and lost productivity as they crawl through the county between 6am and 11am 260 times a year. Unless they widen and extend I-684 down to I-95 your not going to gain anything by trying to divert traffic away from Fairfield County. Face it, the only way to fix the traffic problem down there is to widen I-95. If that means somebody has to give up real estate then so be it.

Do you live in the area because they have been working on 95 for the past 20+ years. They have widened it in some areas, where there was room to do it, they are completely redoing the New Haven 95/91 interchange and added 2 more lanes on the southbound 95 route (95 north isnt finished yet). This area is one of the oldest areas in the entire united states. The rail system, highway system, route 15, etc are all some of the first built in the country. There is route 1 which runs along side 95 which also creates an issue. This is also one of the highest density population areas in the country and there are businesses and homes built along the sides of just about every stretch of 95 and route 15 along the shoreline. Then you have the wealthy areas who the people pay premium prices and taxes to live in those communities and you want to take from them just to appease your traffic issues. Those areas are the prices they are because of privacy and exclusivity.

This isn't the south or midwest/west where you can just change the whole highway system to accompany the population and traffic demands. Things were already built up here and have been built up here for many many years. There is a reason newer cities in other parts of the country have better highway systems and its because city planners and the DOT had open areas and room to play with. That doesnt exist here, especially on the shoreline.

They even have ferrys that go to long island to try to counter act the traffic. Hell the governor has even talked about building a bridge from Bridgeport to Long Island which I think is a huge waste of money.

Reaction Score
good post "methodology"
but your logic as it pertains to the affluent around the southern most areas of the the Merritt Parkway (Greenwich and such) doesn't/shouldn't adhere to Rt 8.. there needs to be changes there... there are a quite a few homes aligned that area, and businesses as you past between Seymour and Shelton.. but something has to give around there... At least put up blinding "Wrong Way" signs, digital billboards as it pertains to potential traffic conditions. At the very least, which won't hurt the government's pockets... it's a necessity..

Also, one other thing.. My opinion... There really needs to be an age limit for elderly on the CT main arteries during the day. Some older people should NOT be on those roads at certain times of the day... should be a cut off in age... I say 70 years old and up...

Reaction Score
Folks I know this is off base but WTF is going on with the nut jobs on Rt 8 and their driving habits, bad ones???? Wrong way driving? You kiddin me? How on Earth does one end up driving the wrong way? Who are allowing/giving drivers licenses/keys to nowadays that are nutty enough take other people's lives other than their own?

It seems like that stretch of the road has been a HUGE issue... Too many deaths there lately, way too many....
Wrong way driving?? In Florida, I think it is taught in driver's ed how to drive wrong way. A few days ago, a driver with his wife and 2 kids were killed because he was driving the wrong way...the driver DIDN'T have a license. He killed a family of 7, also...the family was visiting from Maine.

Reaction Score
Do you live in the area because they have been working on 95 for the past 20+ years. They have widened it in some areas, where there was room to do it, they are completely redoing the New Haven 95/91 interchange and added 2 more lanes on the southbound 95 route (95 north isnt finished yet). This area is one of the oldest areas in the entire united states. The rail system, highway system, route 15, etc are all some of the first built in the country. There is route 1 which runs along side 95 which also creates an issue. This is also one of the highest density population areas in the country and there are businesses and homes built along the sides of just about every stretch of 95 and route 15 along the shoreline. Then you have the wealthy areas who the people pay premium prices and taxes to live in those communities and you want to take from them just to appease your traffic issues. Those areas are the prices they are because of privacy and exclusivity.

This isn't the south or midwest/west where you can just change the whole highway system to accompany the population and traffic demands. Things were already built up here and have been built up here for many many years. There is a reason newer cities in other parts of the country have better highway systems and its because city planners and the DOT had open areas and room to play with. That doesnt exist here, especially on the shoreline.

They even have ferrys that go to long island to try to counter act the traffic. Hell the governor has even talked about building a bridge from Bridgeport to Long Island which I think is a huge waste of money.
I've lived and worked in CT for 60 years on and off(mostly on except for a stint in the Army) and I hold a class A CDL. Trust me I know all too painfully well every inch of Fairfield, New Haven and Westchester Counties not to mention Boston, Philly, DC and most of the rest of the lower 48. I've had to finagle my way below the Amtrac line to the shore more than most. The only way your going to relieve the traffic situation on I-95 in Fairfield County is to WIDEN THE DAMN HIGHWAY from New Haven to the New York line. I would suggest adding a couple commercial vehicle only lanes(somewhat like the Jersey Tpke) so that the ones transiting thru to other New England destinations don't get snarled in with the local commuters. How do you pay for it? Try lowering the fuel tax so that Connecticut fuel stations become the stop of choice because buying fuel in CT becomes cheaper than any other state in the Northeast. Right now CT fueling stops are bypassed by practically everyone because the prices are higher than any state near here(except parts of NY). Instead of looking at the out of state commercial and non commercial traffic as a nuisance this state should be treating it as a gold mine. There are billions in untapped resources passing through the state every year and all you need to do is lower the friggin fuel tax and expand the rest ares to accommodate more. When out of state truckers are thinking to themselves," I'll wait till I hit Connecticut to fill up" this state will be in a much better place than them thinking"No way am I spending a penny in that over priced traffic jam of a state." You want to pay for it? Make the damn thing user friendly. With a little creativity and forward thinking it will pay for itself. The Fairfield County crowd might lose an extra 1500 feet on either side but they'll gain hours and a lot less stress everyday. In the long run what's more important?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was in RI and MA last weekend. Gas is cheaper in CT right now.

That might be the most hilarious solution I've ever heard though - you can raise a trillion dollars by lowering your gas tax.

Reaction Score
I've lived and worked in CT for 60 years on and off(mostly on except for a stint in the Army) and I hold a class A CDL. Trust me I know all too painfully well every inch of Fairfield, New Haven and Westchester Counties not to mention Boston, Philly, DC and most of the rest of the lower 48. I've had to finagle my way below the Amtrac line to the shore more than most. The only way your going to relieve the traffic situation on I-95 in Fairfield County is to WIDEN THE DAMN HIGHWAY from New Haven to the New York line. I would suggest adding a couple commercial vehicle only lanes(somewhat like the Jersey Tpke) so that the ones transiting thru to other New England destinations don't get snarled in with the local commuters. How do you pay for it? Try lowering the fuel tax so that Connecticut fuel stations become the stop of choice because buying fuel in CT becomes cheaper than any other state in the Northeast. Right now CT fueling stops are bypassed by practically everyone because the prices are higher than any state near here(except parts of NY). Instead of looking at the out of state commercial and non commercial traffic as a nuisance this state should be treating it as a gold mine. There are billions in untapped resources passing through the state every year and all you need to do is lower the friggin fuel tax and expand the rest ares to accommodate more. When out of state truckers are thinking to themselves," I'll wait till I hit Connecticut to fill up" this state will be in a much better place than them thinking"No way am I spending a penny in that over priced traffic jam of a state." You want to pay for it? Make the damn thing user friendly. With a little creativity and forward thinking it will pay for itself. The Fairfield County crowd might lose an extra 1500 feet on either side but they'll gain hours and a lot less stress everyday. In the long run what's more important?
You realize there's a lot of structures along I-95 in Fairfield County? It would require knocking out the Norwalk Fire Station, encroaching more on a historical native American landmark in Westport... A lot was sacrificed to create I-95. Computerizing driving would change things immensely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Connecticut's gas tax is about 45 cents a gallon right now. If you cut it by a third to 30 cents you have to sell an additional 50% more gas to just break even. So yeah you might need a new plan....

Reaction Score

The money issue with respect to expanding the highway aside, you do realize that I-95 abuts a lot of commercial development, say most of downtown Stamford, and Greenwich, and a lot of well monied and politically connected folks. No way they would let the state or any other government agency take their land to add a pair of lanes to I-95. That's why a majority of urban highway construction back in the 50's and 60's cut through the less affluent areas of each city - just look at New York, Philly, Miami, Chicago, New Haven, etc. When highway planners tried to build a highway across West Roxbury and into Back Bay in Boston (look at a map, draw a line from the BU bridge in downtown Boston to where I-95 intersect I-93 and Route 128 in Canton, the locals raised holy hell and it got shut down. Closer to 'home', why do you think Route 9 ends at I-84 on the southern edge of West Hartford instead of linking-up to I-291 in Bloomfield like it was supposed to? Folks in West Hartford, Farmington, and Avon wanted nothing to do with that idea.

Reaction Score

That might be the most hilarious solution I've ever heard though - you can raise a trillion dollars by lowering your gas tax.

Can't dream some of this stuff up.

Reaction Score

Some people just hate CT so much, in their mind every other state does everything better than CT.

I'm in favor of bringing back tolls though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Some people just hate CT so much, in their mind every other state does everything better than CT.

I'm in favor of bringing back tolls though.

You'd think with everyone leaving... there wouldn't be so much traffic. We should be raising money to narrow the roads!

Reaction Score
You'd think with everyone leaving... there wouldn't be so much traffic. We should be raising money to narrow the roads!

bring back the former glory days of dirt donkey paths.

Reaction Score
Well laugh all you want. I have maybe 10 years left(if I feel like dealing with it that long) and then I'll be happy to retire in my quiet Northern CT semi-rural community while you cockroaches crawl over each other at 15 miles an hour on I-95. Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom