OT - Rose Bowl | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Rose Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Darnold is incredible, hard to believe he's a freshman. Why can't we ever have a QB who is half as good as him?

As a senior. Have a QB as a senior who is half as good as this frosh.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Penn State lost this game on their second to last possession when they "turtled". On that possession, USC had to defend both the run and the pass. On the last possession, they just had to defend the pass and play centerfield.

PSU deserved to lose for their complete lack of courage in reverting to conservative play calling when they should have kept the pressure on USC.

If you give up 52 points, you don't get to point to one possession where you think it went wrong. I hope you can understand that...

Reaction Score
That game was about 4 1/2 hours long. Tons of offense, replays, pageantry overload. Wild game.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Home game for USC. I'm a PSU fan but a UCONN fan first. PSU's success is bad for UCONN so I'm glad they lost.

Reaction Score
I think Moorhead should have run out the clock after his QB almost got picked.

I know, 20/20 but tough loss.

My God I just saw that Whaler said the same thing. Delete......;)

Reaction Score
If you give up 52 points, you don't get to point to one possession where you think it went wrong. I hope you can understand that...

You do when your offense has scored 49 points. The second to the last possession did Penn State in.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You do when your offense has scored 49 points. The second to the last possession did Penn State in.

That's my point. In what world is 49 points not sufficient to win? That's 7 touchdowns worth of points! That means your defense didn't take care of business. Period. I don't want to hear about one possession where they ran the ball, especially since they lost the game on a possession where they should not have thrown the ball.

But I know that doesn't fit your m.o., and I know you don't talk about defense...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yes Penn State lost when they didn't get another first down on the prior possession. I agree - that's the time to let it all hang out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's my point. In what world is 49 points not sufficient to win? That's 7 touchdowns worth of points! That means your defense didn't take care of business. Period. I don't want to hear about one possession where they ran the ball, especially since they lost the game on a possession where they should not have thrown the ball.

But I know that doesn't fit your m.o., and I know you don't talk about defense...

Yes in a vaccum they scored enough to win - but they had the ball and the lead and one more first down would end it... they worried about the clock instead of going for the throat.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So that was a great game and now what do we have? The Big 12 just waiting to suck.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes in a vaccum they scored enough to win - but they had the ball and the lead and one more first down would end it... they worried about the clock instead of going for the throat.

And then went for the throat and got picked for the game ender, right?

Talking about a 1 minute segment of the game is the vacuum, not the other way around. I'm sorry, but you have to play some defense eventually...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Why is PSU's success bad for UConn?

Recruiting in eastern Pennsylvania. We've done well there in the past. Can't afford to lose even one possible recruit if we can help it. But right now, our two teams are playing in different galaxies so it probably didn't matter today...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And then went for the throat and got picked for the game ender, right?

Talking about a 1 minute segment of the game is the vacuum, not the other way around. I'm sorry, buy you have to play some defense eventually...

Completely different situation because in one you have the lead - in the other a turnover and you lose. That's the risk/reward.

They made the wrong decision in both cases.

Got conservative with the lead and aggressive in the tie.

Reaction Score
USC scored 52. We went over 50 straight possessions without a touchdown. Staggering

Randy, are you paying attention. The above post is very insightful. You can't play your conservation offense and win, so get a knowledgible OC and then get out of his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom