OT: Roll Over, Beethoven! Chuck Berry is 90 today! | The Boneyard

OT: Roll Over, Beethoven! Chuck Berry is 90 today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
My favorite Chuck Berry lyric:
"All the way home I felt a grudge for the safety belt that wouldn't budge."

He did pretty good for a guy with no particular place to go.
Think of all the rock and roll legends who point to Chuck as an influence.

Reaction Score
Let's hope today brings him great joy ;) (I saw him sing this at the Fillmore in Haight-Ashbury a century or so ago)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Chuck Berry was nearly 30 when he released his first single, "Maybellene." Deemed too old to be a teen rock 'n roller, they kept his age a secret for many years.

Here's a little factoid I didn't know ( from Wiki): In May 1955, Berry traveled to Chicago, where he met Muddy Waters, who suggested he contact Leonard Chess, of Chess Records. Berry thought his blues music would be of more interest to Chess, but to his surprise it was a traditional country fiddle tune, "Ida Red", as recorded by Bob Wills,[23] that got Chess's attention. Chess had seen the rhythm and blues market shrink and was looking to move beyond it, and he thought Berry might be the artist for that purpose. On May 21, 1955, Berry recorded an adaptation of the "Ida Red", under the title "Maybellene", with Johnnie Johnson on the piano, Jerome Green (from Bo Diddley's band) on the maracas, Jasper Thomas on the drums and Willie Dixon on the bass. "Maybellene" sold over a million copies, reaching number one on Billboard magazine's rhythm and blues chart and number five on its Best Sellers in Stores chart for September 10, 1955.

See if you can spot the influence:

Reaction Score
Another factoid: in his iconic Johnny B Goode (often called the perfect rock 'n roll song), he originally wrote that Johnny was a "colored" boy who could really sing, but the music studio thought it was too subversive and he changed it to "country" boy.

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
You Never Can Tell

Sorry, Meyers7, you know I love you, but this video leaves out the beautiful solo piano work of Johnny Johnson that was on the original version. For those who don't know, "Johnnie Clyde Johnson (July 8, 1924 – April 13, 2005)[1][2] was an American pianist who played jazz, blues and rock and roll. His work with Chuck Berry led to his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

So, here's the original, listen for Johnny's piano solo at 1:43:

Reaction Score
Happy birthday to an immortal artist. And heartfelt thanks.

You can see his 1955 video debut on Youtube. "As I was a motorvatin' over the hill, I spied Maybellene in a coupe de ville."

Reaction Score
Sorry, Meyers7, you know I love you, but this video leaves out the beautiful solo piano work of Johnny Johnson that was on the original version. For those who don't know, "Johnnie Clyde Johnson (July 8, 1924 – April 13, 2005)[1][2] was an American pianist who played jazz, blues and rock and roll. His work with Chuck Berry led to his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Great! thanks. And immortalized in Pulp Fiction:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
To celebrate I'm betting he'll take another picture of him naked post coitus with an underage girl. Maybe two.

I saw Chuck once during the "My Ding-a-Ling" period in the 70's. He, unlike someone like Van Morrison whom I saw three times and never played "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Caravan", played all of his hits. In that area Chuck was always a crowd pleaser.

Reaction Score
Chuck Berry. DOB: October 18, 1926.

To commemorate this auspicious (90) day, he announced release (in 2017) of his first album in 38 years, entitled "Chuck." :)
My favorite.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Chuck Berry was nearly 30 when he released his first single, "Maybellene." Deemed too old to be a teen rock 'n roller, they kept his age a secret for many years.

Here's a little factoid I didn't know ( from Wiki): In May 1955, Berry traveled to Chicago, where he met Muddy Waters, who suggested he contact Leonard Chess, of Chess Records. Berry thought his blues music would be of more interest to Chess, but to his surprise it was a traditional country fiddle tune, "Ida Red", as recorded by Bob Wills,[23] that got Chess's attention. Chess had seen the rhythm and blues market shrink and was looking to move beyond it, and he thought Berry might be the artist for that purpose. On May 21, 1955, Berry recorded an adaptation of the "Ida Red", under the title "Maybellene", with Johnnie Johnson on the piano, Jerome Green (from Bo Diddley's band) on the maracas, Jasper Thomas on the drums and Willie Dixon on the bass. "Maybellene" sold over a million copies, reaching number one on Billboard magazine's rhythm and blues chart and number five on its Best Sellers in Stores chart for September 10, 1955.

See if you can spot the influence:

I found your explanation of the country (Bob Wills) music on Chuck Berry to be fascinating. Thanks for the background and comparative links.

This reminded me of what an observant musicologist wrote years ago on the same theme. He posited that The Beatles' rendition of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" was performed in the manner that Hank Williams might have sung it. [Hmmm. ]

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Chuck's birthday was noted at Desert Trip. Either Mick or Paul mentioned it. The crowd cheered.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Happy birthday to an immortal artist. And heartfelt thanks.

Chuck Berry is a living legend. Those of us old enough to see and enjoy his performances during his "prime" are lucky. I wonder how many millennials today actually know who chuck berry is? :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Chuck Berry is a living legend. Those of us old enough to see and enjoy his performances during his "prime" are lucky. I wonder how many millennials today actually know who chuck berry is? :eek:

I can vouch for eight (of my ten) grandkids, ages 20-29.;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Chuck, Fats and Little Richard are about all we have left of the true old guard. I know Fats will be turning 90 pretty soon.
God bless them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Was just looking for a live version. No disrespect to Mr. Johnson intended.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Was just looking for a live version. No disrespect to Mr. Johnson intended.
Totally understand. After I posted a live version of Maybellene, I realized it didn't have Johnny Johnson's keyboards either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom