OT: Red Sox fans, don't jump! Hope springs. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Red Sox fans, don't jump! Hope springs. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'd rather have the Yankees lose every game this season than have A-ROID play and have any success in pinstripes! IT'S JUST WRONG!

Reaction Score
I'd rather have the Yankees lose every game this season than have A-ROID play and have any success in pinstripes! IT'S JUST WRONG!
Not defending A-Rod here, but EVERY team in the game had/has multiple hardcore PED users.

Reaction Score
Arod has tested positive as many times as David Ortiz...every single team has them...Bartolo Colon has been suspended and yet is one of the most celebrated players in the game...announcers, fans, MLB loves him...and it's nearly ever mentioned...

Reaction Score
I feel the same way about all the PED users but MLB screwed themselves by ignoring it for so long that those that were big PED users will get off and cloud the issue "how can you punish a few when the others are not found guilty"! Barry Bonds was just let off on all counts so he will no longer be prosecuted! He's a poster child for PED use!
A-ROID sued everyone, said they were picking on him, hired people to stand outside hearings to create scenes! Then told a grand jury he was guilty of everything! And they welcomed him back as if nothing happened! If THE BOSS was alive he would have released his ass in spring training as an embarrassment to the pinstripes!

Reaction Score
Plain to see the Ded Sox fans will never get over losing A-Rod to the Yankees. The hate just keeps coming.

Reaction Score
PED's have been in the game for decades. Hank Aaron took amphetamines (as per his autobiography). Hank, at the age of 39, hit 40 home runs in only 392 at bats. That was the best HR to AB ratio in his career. What should be done in his case ?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In Jim Bouton's book, "Ball Four", back in 1970, he made it manifestly clear that just damned near every player in the Bigs was using Bennies. Rather than anyone taking notice and doing something about it, Bouton was ostracized. The Yankees, for whom he had starred until he blew out his arm, even barred him from "old timers" events for decades. So it goes.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In Jim Bouton's book, "Ball Four", back in 1970, he made it manifestly clear that just damned near every player in the Bigs was using Bennies. Rather than anyone taking notice and doing something about it, Bouton was ostracized. The Yankees, for whom he had starred until he blew out his arm, even barred him from "old timers" events for decades. So it goes.

Reaction Score
As a long time Yankee (I know, Yan-Kees-Suck, Yan-Kees-Suck) in spite of the beating David Ortiz dished on us practically every game, I have always regarded that little pest Dustin Pedroia as NY public enemy #1. An unbelievable hitter, he was killer clutch against us, and his passionate leadership was at the very heart of the Sox success (I would have traded Cano even up for Pedroia in a second). I think his injuries, more than anything else, have done in the Sox this year. Nobody else can bring that fire he brought. It's weird, though, to look at your roster; it's virtually unrecognizable to me. When I was at Fenway in May for the sweep :):p:D I had to buy a scorecard for the first time ever- who were those guys??

OHOH!! BIG NEWS! The Sox have just made the move that may enable them to make the playoffs!! Huge trade just announced... Shane Victorino to the Angels for wait, wait, wait... Triple A infielder Jeff Rutledge!! :rolleyes: A salary dump looks like John Henry is throwing in the towel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plain to see the Ded Sox fans will never get over losing A-Rod to the Yankees. The hate just keeps coming.

Sonny44- - - Just for the record I'm a Yankee fan that is sick of seeing A-ROID in Pinstripes! He shouldn't be allowed in a MLB game!

Reaction Score
Sonny44- - - Just for the record I'm a Yankee fan that is sick of seeing A-ROID in Pinstripes! He shouldn't be allowed in a MLB game!

You seem to have a problem with his PED use. Do you also want all the players who ever used illegal drugs such as like steroids and amphetamines out of baseball? Should their records be expunged? For instance, both Ortiz and Manny Ramirez were proven juicers. Should the red Sox be forced to return the two WS trophies that were won on the strength of their bats? It's a long long list that includes a lot of HOFer's. Some were mentioned earlier in this thread. Or is it just Alex you want out of baseball?

In fact, I'm surprised that you are even a pro sports fan since drug use among pro athletes has been rampant for at least 75 years.

Or do you just hate Rodriquez like many hate Tiger Woods?

Reaction Score
It's the players who lie and try to defend themselves by degrading others, suing others to keep the lies out there! A-Roid, Barry Bonds, Clemens, and others of their ilk! Pete Rose for 30 years lied as if he were a choir boy then wrote a book where he said he did bet! Now proof comes out he bet back as a player and mgr. on and against his team! I don't like athletes that think they're bigger than the sport they play!
A-Roid has been and always will be a lier and a cheater! He's just playing the "game", and going for the "great guy/teammate" and the talking suits are singing his praises over 2,000 RBI's, HR's, 3,000 hits, what a great leader and mentor to his young teammates etc. when all that skill/stats was compromised with the PED use! He may have 1,000 RBI's clean! I really do believe if George Steinnbrenner was still alive A-ROID would not be a Yankee today!
And yes I'm not naive I'm aware that there is cheating in all sports, but there is a certain type of player that gets under the skin more than others, some that cheated, came clean and are getting on with their lives and careers!
Sports are so important and I'm old fashioned, you don't lie, cheat, you play the game the way it was intended, no compromises, you honor your sport!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Where should Gaylord Perry be placed in baseball history? "Best doctor of baseballs by repeated scuffing and application of illegal substances like licorice, vaseline and tobacco-laden spit."

(Perry was just one of many practitioners of this widespread pre-PED cheating technique.)

Reaction Score
It's the players who lie and try to defend themselves by degrading others, suing others to keep the lies out there! A-Roid, Barry Bonds, Clemens, and others of their ilk! Pete Rose for 30 years lied as if he were a choir boy then wrote a book where he said he did bet! Now proof comes out he bet back as a player and mgr. on and against his team! I don't like athletes that think they're bigger than the sport they play!
A-Roid has been and always will be a lier and a cheater! He's just playing the "game", and going for the "great guy/teammate" and the talking suits are singing his praises over 2,000 RBI's, HR's, 3,000 hits, what a great leader and mentor to his young teammates etc. when all that skill/stats was compromised with the PED use! He may have 1,000 RBI's clean! I really do believe if George Steinnbrenner was still alive A-ROID would not be a Yankee today!
And yes I'm not naive I'm aware that there is cheating in all sports, but there is a certain type of player that gets under the skin more than others, some that cheated, came clean and are getting on with their lives and careers!
Sports are so important and I'm old fashioned, you don't lie, cheat, you play the game the way it was intended, no compromises, you honor your sport!

So all those who used speed and other PED's to produce their records but who never lied because they were never caught or faced an accusation are OK to still play and get into the HOF?

All the fuss about PED's is more about selling Wheaties than protecting the integrity of sports. Actors who win academy awards for performances made while using drugs don't have their prizes rescinded. Sport performances, like acting, should, IMO, stand on their own. I watch sports to see the performance. I really don't care what sort of person the athlete is away from the game they play. And I certainly don't ever buy into the hype the media dishes out or the picture they paint of anyone.

And as far as the example they give to our youth, I have little respect for a parent who allows their child to use a stranger as a role model instead of themselves or others about whom they have sufficient personal knowledge.

We live in a society in which drug use is widely promoted. We ban an athlete for using HGH while Red Bull sponsors sports all over the world. We are told that the best way to start the day is with a couple doses of caffeine. Our children are encouraged to consume massive doses of a drug called sugar, which, by any definition or measure of damage is one of the worst drugs in the world. We are told in advertisements that everything is more fun with a beer. And then we wonder why, when we tell our youth to "just say no", they don't listen.

Sorry, rant over.

Reaction Score
....We live in a society in which drug use is widely promoted. We ban an athlete for using HGH while Red Bull sponsors sports all over the world. We are told that the best way to start the day is with a couple doses of caffeine. Our children are encouraged to consume massive doses of a drug called sugar, which, by any definition or measure of damage is one of the worst drugs in the world. We are told in advertisements that everything is more fun with a beer. And then we wonder why, when we tell our youth to "just say no", they don't listen
So.....You're saying everything is NOT more fun with a beer...??? :p

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Huge trade just announced... Shane Victorino to the Angels for wait, wait, wait... Triple A infielder Jeff Rutledge!! :rolleyes: A salary dump looks like John Henry is throwing in the towel.

Not much of a salary dump since the Red Sox will pick up $3+ million of this year's contract.

I actually give Sox management credit for doing something nice for a very popular player. This trade evoked memories of the Bruins trading legend Ray Bourque to Colorado so he could win a Stanley Cup (which he did). Victorino has a similar opportunity with the Angels. Good luck to a fine player, champion in 2013 with Boston and maybe again in 2015 with LAA.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

He served his time (not too cheerfully), paid his dues, and at age 40
has learned a bit of humility.
Enjoy a superb boatsman at his trade.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
He served his time (not too cheerfully), paid his dues, and at age 40
has learned a bit of humility.
Enjoy a superb boatsman at his trade.

Ahem. Typo.

Surely you meant batsman. ;)

Permit a comment. A-Rod made the same "mistake" as dozens of other MLB players. He is not an endearing personality. But he is on the verge of establishing incredible HR stats, despite losing an entire season as punishment (not "dues") for his "mistake(s)" - compounded by an ornery attitude. An All-Time Great, based on performance, not likeability.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ahem. Typo.

Surely you meant batsman. ;)

Permit a comment. A-Rod made the same "mistake" as dozens of other MLB players. He is not an endearing personality. But he is on the verge of establishing incredible HR stats, despite losing an entire season as punishment (not "dues") for his "mistake(s)" - compounded by an ornery attitude. An All-Time Great, based on performance, not likeability.

These darned self-correcting programs...now you have to proof everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline