OT - Randy Edsall, Maryland agree to 3-year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Contract extensions are the kiss of death in college football

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'd say it's well deserved. A couple of tough seasons due to injury but he's recruited well and has a talented team. If we had our choice (bitter feelings aside) would folks prefer Edsall or Diaco? Still too early to tell but Edsall is just so darn consistent.

Reaction Score
I have become good friends with someone who worked for Kevin Plank at UA as an executive and is still very friendly with him. In regards to Randy Edsall...Kevin Plank LOVES him and he will be at UMD as long as Kevin wants him there (I was basically told in no uncertain words that Plank wouldn't give UMD the $$ to buyout Edsall's contract...and that he would be VERY angry if they fired Edsall...as we all know you don't want to make your big athletic donors angry)

Reaction Score
reading the comments in the link it seems like the MD fans aren't too happy

Reaction Score
There isn't a lack of appreciation for Edsall, there is resentment. He continually told us we expected too much and made excuses for everything. He threw his players under the bus routinely.

His heart wasn't in it in that he didn't believe UConn could recruit and achieve at a national level. It was fun to watch UConn arrive and win some games with him, but he didn't believe and that bothers me.

Reaction Score
Some people never appreciated him while he was here. Fine.

Some people still don't appreciate what he did here, which is nuts.

You can appreciate that he was the first coach post Div II
, won a few bowl games and prepared some Huskies for NFL careers. The whole BCS nightmare vs Oklahoma was a setup which was out of his or anyone at UConn's control. The NCAA was going to punish the Big East by sending their representative as far away from their fan base as possible. It just happened to be UConn by virtue of winning a 3 way tie with a slightly better than mediocre record. Then he decided to leave which is understandable seeing as the Big East was crumbling and I'm sure somebody at Maryland whispered to him"We're going B1G". It's just the unceremonious way he went about it that takes any good he did here and craps all over it. He didn't like it here after all. Didn't think he could do it here.

Now lets see if Diaco can prove him wrong that it can be done here or follow in his footsteps.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can appreciate that he was the first coach post Div II , won a few bowl games and prepared some Huskies for NFL careers. The whole BCS nightmare vs Oklahoma was a setup which was out of his or anyone at UConn's control. The NCAA was going to punish the Big East by sending their representative as far away from their fan base as possible. It just happened to be UConn by virtue of winning a 3 way tie with a slightly better than mediocre record. Then he decided to leave which is understandable seeing as the Big East was crumbling and I'm sure somebody at Maryland whispered to him"We're going B1G". It's just the unceremonious way he went about it that takes any good he did here and craps all over it.

Couple of things:

They were I-AA not II.

The NCAA had nothing to do with BCS selections.

He would have gone to Maryland if they stayed in the ACC.

If you ignore what he did over how he left that seems crazy.

Reaction Score
What did he do? Did he turn them into a national power that P-5 conferences were clamoring over? I think we're still waiting for that invite.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What did he do? Did he turn them into a national power that P-5 conferences were clamoring over? I think we're still waiting for that invite.

Well he went 74-70 taking a I-AA program into the Big East.

He went to 5 bowls including the Fiesta, winning 3.

Won the league twice.

Oh yeah and did an amazing job leading his team through a season where they had a captain murdered on campus

But I guess he didn't do a good job saying goodbye... even though none of the players seem to be particularly hung up on that fact.

Reaction Score
Edsall would still be here if Hathaway was canned a year or so earlier. It's that simple.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
He is a solid, above average football coach. He does not play an exciting brand of football - he's a white rice kind of guy who plays the percentages. He graduates kids and does "things" the right way. He is not a great recruiter(ie salesman) but has a great eye for talent. He knew what his warts were and tried to bump assistant coach salaries so he could bring in better recruiters while he was here, but he got Hathaway'd. At Maryland he brought in the snake oil salesman and has better recruiting territory and conference. I think he will have a very Tom O'Brien-ish successful reign at Maryland and get canned down the road because he just can't seem to take them to the next level. I wish him the best.

Reaction Score
Well he went 74-70 taking a I-AA program into the Big East.

He went to 5 bowls including the Fiesta, winning 3.

Won the league twice.

Oh yeah and did an amazing job leading his team through a season where they had a captain murdered on campus

But I guess he didn't do a good job saying goodbye... even though none of the players seem to be particularly hung up on that fact.

Couldn't agree with this more. He is and will always be the best thing to happen to UConn football. Built the program to what it was when he left, Big East Champions.

Reaction Score
I was on the plane with several players returning from the Fiesta Bowl when their phones started dinging right before takeoff with the news of Edsall leaving for Maryland. Sure they were shocked and disappointed but later, while still unaware of the details, they seemed to recognize the "business we have chosen" aspect of the departure.

While it's easy to pick apart elements of Edsall's tenure here and there are certainly lots of open questions about Diaco's, I've been sensing a more subtle difference between the two. Somehow, when I close my eyes and picture Edsall side by side with Diaco, I see an adult standing next to an adolescent. This fall, I want to see two adults.

Reaction Score
I'm a apologista. Think the world of what Edsall accomplished here. That we followed up with the stupid twins is really just a crying shame. Edsall left the program in very good shape and in 2012 we had one of the very best defenses in the country and were Edsall (or just about anyone other than the stupid twins) in place, that scheduled allowed us to take a run at a 9-10 win season...........easy.

Anyway, that all said, I'm actually surprised by the extension. From my vantage point Edsall has struggled with the Terps. They may be taking a very patient approach which could pay huge dividends for them. A rarity in today's college football.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was on the plane with several players returning from the Fiesta Bowl when their phones started dinging right before takeoff with the news of Edsall leaving for Maryland. Sure they were shocked and disappointed but later, while still unaware of the details, they seemed to recognize the "business we have chosen" aspect of the departure.

While it's easy to pick apart elements of Edsall's tenure here and there are certainly lots of open questions about Diaco's, I've been sensing a more subtle difference between the two. Somehow, when I close my eyes and picture Edsall side by side with Diaco, I see an adult standing next to an adolescent. This fall, I want to see two adults.

Funny, I usually picture a baby trying to pick up a coffee table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom