OT: Racist tweets at hockey player | The Boneyard

OT: Racist tweets at hockey player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ironic how the Bruins were the first team to have a black player in the league, now their fans disgrace them with these tweets. This is just as pathetic as Wayne Simmonds having a banana thrown at him in Ontario during a preseason shootout. Or the same thing happening to the 'canes goalie in 02 i think up in Montreal. It's a shame black players in the NHL still have to endure this kind of garbage.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Is it intelligent to take some tweets and ascribe them to a whole city or region?

Exactly... Its not the same pure hate, but you guys are still generalizing. Just because the idiots who have always existed now have the power of twitter doesn't make them the spokespeople for a city or fanbase. Southtampa bill doesn't speak for uconnfans. Sorry Bill :)

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hate racism.

What I also hate (less than racism but also significantly) is when peolpe OVERGENERALIZE and STUPIDLY PAINT WITH A BROAD BRUSH.

Some racists in Boston said something racist so Boston fans are racist? Shut up. And don't say you merely said "some fans" in Boston. We know what you meant.

Newsflash: racists are in every city. I live in NY. They're here, too.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
People who look at a handful of tweets and use it to judge or summarize a city as a whole are as ignorant as the tweeters they are judging.

You'd think people would be sensitive to this since some came in here a week ago calling UConn fans clueless because a bunch of Iowa and Kansas fans were saying mean stuff about Oriakhi on Twitter.

But no.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I've always disliked Boston pro-teams... Hard to like a place where your blatantly shown that you're not liked. But I got admit I respect the up front honesty moreso than somebody that actually feels that way and smiles in your face all the time...

Reaction Score
Is it intelligent to take some tweets and ascribe them to a whole city or region?

I posted the intelligent part in relation to the people who have their names attached to the whole thing. And Boston sports fans in general. Sorry, just my opinion there (see: overreaction to Red Sox meltdown last year).

Then, after reading the links in the Huffington Post story, I edited my post with my that chirpstory link, and my reaction to those people. I didn't mean to insinuate every Boston sports fan is a racist, though that wasn't clear from my post.

Reaction Score
Look racism isn't funny unless it's in the privacy of your own home with your friends. Anywhoo, all of us here being sports fans should appreciate the levelheadedness and overall poignant critique of the average fan. To put it another way they're dicks who couldn't muster a witty retort to save their life. I don't know if they are as much racist as just very stupid and petty.

Reaction Score
Guys the OP made a mistake, by generalizing. I mean none of us have ever done the same with uk, dook, cuse or providence fans, right?

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Guys the OP made a mistake, by generalizing. I mean none of us have ever done the same with uk, dook, cuse or providence fans, right?
i didn't generalize. i just said that boston has some upstanding fans. i didn't say all boston sports fans are racist.

Reaction Score
i didn't generalize. i just said that boston has some upstanding fans. i didn't say all boston sports fans are racist.

Sorry it was a post or two down. He was getting beat up pretty bad, yet I have seen others do it, albeit a less severe topic.

Reaction Score

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I'm glad other people noticed this too! I'm glad they attached the names, racists should be mocked.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge sports fan. I live in the Boston area and work in Boston. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone use the N word in the 15 years I've been up here. To say Boston is racist based upon a few schmucks on Twitter is beyond irrational.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Ever hear of Bill Russell? Ask him what he thinks of Boston fans IN GENERAL. Check this out:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4289/black-athletes-have-long-seen-boston-as-racist

Of course not every Boston fan is a racist. But that doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the stereotype. I won't prejudge any individual Boston fan but I still believe most of them fit the stereotype. Sorry but there is reason why other New Englanders call them Mas.

MOST Boston fans are racist? Are you mentally dumb? Seriously. Are you mentally dumb? Your proof is that (a) some athletes think Boston is racist and (b) your personal anecdotal evidence? Did I get that right?

I'm not from Boston, never lived there, etc. I do like the Red Sox. So am I a racist by association? Please tell, Mr. Social Scientist.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sorry it was a post or two down. He was getting beat up pretty bad, yet I have seen others do it, albeit a less severe topic.

You don't owe him an apology. He knew what he was saying. He could have said Bruins fans instead of Boston fans...or simply said that some racists were saying some racist crap.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
You don't owe him an apology. He knew what he was saying. He could have said Bruins fans instead of Boston fans...or simply said that some racists were saying some racist crap.
butthurt much?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I'm a huge sports fan. I live in the Boston area andr work in Boston. I can honestly say I've never heard anyone use the N word in the 15 years I've been up here. To say Boston is racist based upon a few schmucks on Twitter is beyond irrational.
Same scenario for me, but I have definitely heard the N word used. And not by whites, latinos or asians.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ever hear of Bill Russell? Ask him what he thinks of Boston fans IN GENERAL. Check this out:

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4289/black-athletes-have-long-seen-boston-as-racist

Of course not every Boston fan is a racist. But that doesn't mean there isn't some truth to the stereotype. I won't prejudge any individual Boston fan but I still believe most of them fit the stereotype. Sorry but there is reason why other New Englanders call them Mas.
I lived in Philly for several years. They don't get pegged as a racist city because the racial mix is much different than Boston. But it's just as segregated and there's plenty of racism, and I've witnessed and been targeted enough to speak to it. Some of the prejudice is even within races - god forbid someone be lighter or darker skinned than the average joe in that locale. At the end of the day, both cities have their bright spots and their warts.

And I have to say that of all the cities my wife and I spent time in, Boston was the most welcoming for us as a mixed race couple. The south? Not so much.

Reaction Score

Did you read Russell Rules? How about any of the other books he has been involved in since the late 1980's? In those he often states that in his time in Boston, racism ran wild but now he feels entirely welcome in the city...as do most former greats, regardless of skin color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom