OT: Quick Break. Cue or Queue? | The Boneyard

OT: Quick Break. Cue or Queue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
These two words are homophones, since they are pronounced the same, like the letter "q." Writers (even Boneyarders) get them mixed up and spellcheckers are often at fault. Let me try to help those who may be uncertain about which one to use.

Cue is most often used as a hint or prompt (e.g., "take one's cue"), especially in a theatrical setting. There are also cue sticks and cue balls in pool halls.

Queue may be used as a verb or noun, both relating to a line (e.g., "people standing in the queue" after they "queue up") or a long list, like a computer menu.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :)

Reaction Score
Queue is mostly a British and Canadian thing. When you're at the grocery store, you stand in line. When in gym class, my teacher would say "blue team line up over there."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Queue is mostly a British and Canadian thing. When you're at the grocery store, you stand in line. When in gym class, my teacher would say "blue team line up over there."

In New York City folks stand on line. ;)

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... When in gym class, my teacher would say "blue team line up over there."
I remember, but... I think that's only because we both were in reform school, man.
Lineup 2.JPG

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I much prefer queue. Why didn't you make this a pole. :cool:

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Wasn't he a character on Star Trek,the Next Generation?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Queue is one of the few words--perhaps the only word--in the English language with FOUR consecutive vowels. That's a lot even in the Hawaiian language.

BTW, where is VowelGuy?

Reaction Score
Queue is one of the few words--perhaps the only word--in the English language with FOUR consecutive vowels. That's a lot even in the Hawaiian language.

BTW, where is VowelGuy?
Well queueing has 5 consecutive vowels. There is also queuing which is considered an alternative spelling.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
These two words are homophones, since they are pronounced the same, like the letter "q." Writers (even Boneyarders) get them mixed up and spellcheckers are often at fault. Let me try to help those who may be uncertain about which one to use.

Cue is most often used as a hint or prompt (e.g., "take one's cue"), especially in a theatrical setting. There are also cue sticks and cue balls in pool halls.

Queue may be used as a verb or noun, both relating to a line (e.g., "people standing in the queue" after they "queue up") or a long list, like a computer menu.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :)
Kew, the new slang word for "cool.".....also Kew Gardens in New York and England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom