OT: Question for cat owners | The Boneyard

OT: Question for cat owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've done reading online but I'm looking for real world experience. The vet told me that Shadow has heartworm. Apparently there is no cure, just give her some stuff to keep it from getting worse. Is this a death sentence?

Reaction Score
I'm asking a friend who works in a cats-only vet's office for you.

Reaction Score
Inherited a year old cat (my daughter's) three weeks ago. She's a 100% indoor cat. That being said, do I have to worry about heartworms or fleas?

Reaction Score
I've done reading online but I'm looking for real world experience. The vet told me that Shadow has heartworm. Apparently there is no cure, just give her some stuff to keep it from getting worse. Is this a death sentence?
So to expand a little more, heartworm are much more dangerous in cats than dogs due to size of heart. Heartworms will die after a couple years so the treatments to try and control it just have to get through that period. Most drugs to kill heartworms are designed for dogs and are toxic to cats.

I can get more info from my brother who's a vet if you'd like, but I think that's pretty much the gist of it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So to expand a little more, heartworm are much more dangerous in cats than dogs due to size of heart. Heartworms will die after a couple years so the treatments to try and control it just have to get through that period. Most drugs to kill heartworms are designed for dogs and are toxic to cats.

I can get more info from my brother who's a vet if you'd like, but I think that's pretty much the gist of it.
So taking your question and Nhoos response it appears if the medicine your vet has given you doesn't kill your cat, and if it is successful in controlling the infection your cat will survive.

Question Nhoos: is there a vaccination for heart worm for cats and would Shadow need one down the road if he survives?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Inherited a year old cat (my daughter's) three weeks ago. She's a 100% indoor cat. That being said, do I have to worry about heartworms or fleas?
Yes. My cat is a 100% indoor cat.

Reaction Score
So taking your question and Nhoos response it appears if the medicine your vet has given you doesn't kill your cat, and if it is successful in controlling the infection your cat will survive.

Question Nhoos: is there a vaccination for heart worm for cats and would Shadow need one down the road if he survives?
Getting outside my understanding but I know they have the preventative pills for cats just like dogs. I think it's just once they have the heartworms the medication options are limited. Afterwards I'd imagine you would get back on a routine of taking the heartworm prevention pills.

I'd recently talked to my brother about this for preventing for my dog, and he'd gone a little more in depth since we've also got a cat. Otherwise I wouldn't have a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom