OT: Products That Can Off | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Products That Can Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I work with some people that graduated from central and southern and they despise UConn. They actively root against them in sports all because they were too stupid to get into Storrs.
Maybe they just don't like the arrogance of some UConn grads.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The WORX string trimmer. It sucks and there is no customer service.

How so if you don't mind my asking. I have a WORX pole saw and it's been great.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Just never go to a jiffy lube or similar place. I had a friend with an AWD car and instead of emptying the oil and then refilling, they emptied the front diff fluid, left it empty, and then way overfilled the old oil. They're not exactly hiring mechanics.

That is absolutely absurd.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In a way it got me more interested in cars and doing more maintenance on my own. I got a dealer quote to have the MAF replaced (around 750 parts and labor)... That's what I ended up getting from JL... Bought the part for 350, replaced it myself, and pocketed the rest as an "inconvenience fee". As long as you have a decent set of tools - just about anything that goes wrong in your car, someone else has had the problem and fixed it and posted a tutorial on YouTube.
Agreed. And when I mess something up I have mechanic friends that can come, laugh at me for a bit, and get it back in the road.

Older cars yes, but my latest car is pretty much a big fuking computer. And you need specialized tools to change it, as standard wrench set doesn't get it done.

I had an old 1993 corolla, and I could fix damn near everything on that car, excepting engine rebuild (which that model NEVER needed). Put in 4 shocks/struts for $200 aftermarket. Mechanic quoted me $3,000.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
NEVER go to Firestone. Ever. I worked there for a week and quit because of all the unethical BS they pulled with customers. After hours they have to pull everyone's car into the shop. They were drinking beers in the shop, bsing with each other, and then driving customers cars into the bay after 4/5 beers.
These bastages. I once got two new tires there. .......... Not worth the time and hassle to take them to court.

Interestingly, I've had good results going to their competitor, Town Fair Tire. You'd expect the same thing, but it's worked out for me, 3 times.

Reaction Score
Recently it took my local Firestone almost two hours to complete my oil change, when they originally told me 45 minutes. The guys were standing around, BSing half the time. Of course I complained and ended up getting the $50 job for free, but that's besides the point.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Morton Salt Deception Safe I just bought on Amazon to hide my emergency money. (I got stuck after the Oct storm a few years ago with no cash. ATM's were down, as were all credit card readers)

The "deception safe" comes with a sticker glued on the front that says, "Morton Salt deception safe." The sticker won't come off.

Idiots.

That's hilarious. Just put some cash in a random book somewhere. Tape it in there. If somebody breaks into your house, they aren't going to rifle through all the books any. That's a 1930s move.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The 4 cyl Subaru boxer engine has been around a long time and very well may be the best engine on the market.

Danzz, are you in the wrong thread?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
In what sense and which one? I own one now and it certainly has it's advantages but the amount of blown head gaskets I've seen on prior and even the newer engines is a definite drawback. They havent just been using one engine all these years.

Yup. My Forester blew a head gasket. And a degraded/warped cylinder. 10 years, 179k. Crap.

That said, my family had an 82 subaru wagon that lasted 20+ years and 300k+.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Was the solar worth it?
It's only worth it if you buy the system and if you have significant sun exposure. 98% of my southern-most facing roof gets 95% exposure. Also, there are huge incentive (federal tax credit and state rebate) to own. If you lease the panels, much of whatever is saved on electricity effective goes to the leasor.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to worry about you.

Seafood tastes just fine I dont need butter or any sauce for extra taste, to meet it ruins the taste of it but to each its own I guess. The only thing I might use the cocktail sauce is for shrimp. Its not that I dont like its just not necessary.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
These damn things don't work. An incredible pain.

image.jpeg

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
In what sense and which one? I own one now and it certainly has it's advantages but the amount of blown head gaskets I've seen on prior and even the newer engines is a definite drawback. They havent just been using one engine all these years.

As someone who knows next to nothing about cars and owns an 02 Forester that I posted about previously, should I be worried? I'm at the 170,000 mile mark...I knew about head gasket problems, but once you're at 170k and aren't experiencing leaks aren't you probably fine?

Reaction Score
As someone who knows next to nothing about cars and owns an 02 Forester that I posted about previously, should I be worried? I'm at the 170,000 mile mark...I knew about head gasket problems, but once you're at 170k and aren't experiencing leaks aren't you probably fine?

If you have already gotten 170k out of any engine, just count your blessings, keep up maintenance and cross your fingers. Plenty of engines live well beyond that but you can't expect that with any. Really though, there's nothing to do. It will or it won't be an issue at some point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you have already gotten 170k out of any engine, just count your blessings, keep up maintenance and cross your fingers. Plenty of engines live well beyond that but you can't expect that with any. Really though, there's nothing to do. It will or it won't be an issue at some point.

I'll call BS. Any car built after 2005 should have an engine that can go 300k+ with proper servicing.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'll call BS. Any car built after 2005 should have an engine that can go 300k+ with proper servicing.

Exactly. Unless you murder it driving like a lunatic daily. If the engine doesn't last, it's either a bum engine, or a poorly engineered model. Heck, Toyotas and Hondas from the 90s routinely lasted 300k+.

Reaction Score

I agree. I had a 83 Volvo 240 which went 270K with the original clutch still intact, i trained 2 boys how to drive stick, and the only reason it is not still running is it was totaled in a crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom