OT- Penn State to get Hammer of Thor Dropped on them | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT- Penn State to get Hammer of Thor Dropped on them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They can't cancel this season because what happens to the holes in the 12 programs that were supposed to play PSU? You can't reschedule games for those 12 teams in about a months time. The penalties would need to be in place for '13-'14 season if they impose a football ban.

PSU will wish they never played those games. It will be nightmare. Pulling this one out of nowhere....have schools play a home and home. Take some of the money from the 2nd game and give it to charity or just let the schools keep it. If I remember correctly the BCS championship game was a replay.

Reaction Score
As I peruse the web looking for information, my prediction is that the penalties will underwhelm most of the non-PSU landscape, yet the PSU fans will scream that it's unfair. I believe the NCAA and PSU do not understand the PR storm that is about to unfold. I saw a statement by SNAP expecting the Death Penalty for years.Based on the leaks, I do not see this happening and as a result a significant backlash against both the NCAA and PSU. I can only hope that the civil suits bring PSU to it's senses over the next few years.
Prior to the "Freeh Report" release, there were "leaks" saying Freeh was a tool of the Trustees and Lawyers, for attribution, that said that the whole issue would be whitewashed. All we can do is wait.

Reaction Score
PSU will wish they never played those games. It will be nightmare. Pulling this one out of nowhere....have schools play a home and home. Take some of the money from the 2nd game and give it to charity or just let the schools keep it. If I remember correctly the BCS championship game was a replay.
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here besides forcing teams to play home and homes with PSU. Do you think anyone is lining up to play them right now? You have to assess a season ban for 13-14 at the soonest, and I think that would be a reasonable conclusion. Let them play this year so the players dont get hurt, all revenue goes to either the victims, a fund, or somewhere but the PSU bank account, then all players may transfer with no penalty after 12-13, no other program is hurt by losing an unreschedulable home game this year, can make plans to reschedule the 13-14 games, and there are far fewer needless bystanders affected by this who did not commit any violations.

Reaction Score
Why don't you take your "I'm not sticking up for a pedophile, I'm making excuses for an organization that covered up for one act" to someplace where people are stupid enough to believe it.

More of the same. Aren't just embarrassed with yourself? You should be.

Reaction Score
Prior to the "Freeh Report" release, there were "leaks" saying Freeh was a tool of the Trustees and Lawyers, for attribution, that said that the whole issue would be whitewashed. All we can do is wait.

Oh, and he wasn't?

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting here besides forcing teams to play home and homes with PSU. Do you think anyone is lining up to play them right now? You have to assess a season ban for 13-14 at the soonest, and I think that would be a reasonable conclusion. Let them play this year so the players dont get hurt, all revenue goes to either the victims, a fund, or somewhere but the PSU bank account, then all players may transfer with no penalty after 12-13, no other program is hurt by losing an unreschedulable home game this year, can make plans to reschedule the 13-14 games, and there are far fewer needless bystanders affected by this who did not commit any violations.

What I was suggesting was that the teams with holes play each other. For example Ohio St and Michigan play a home and home. I should have been clearer.

Reaction Score
Should be a death penalty for 2 years, after playing this upcoming year. Kids should be allowed to transfer out. Bowl ban, championship ban, and scholarship reduction for 10 years. Forever tarnished reputation! Disgusting.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree, let them play, but force them to not benefit financially in ANY way. All ticket, concession, TV, merchandise, and any other revenue to the university is donated to charity or the victims, that way no players, local businesses/merchants, other programs who scheduled them are affected negatively. Basically, they're playing for the sake of playing. Also, no bowls/B1G championships, and players may transfer at any time with no penalty. All current scholarships may be honored, but none allowed to be awarded for the next two seasons. That's basically a death penalty right there.

Reaction Score
CBS now reporting $30-60 million fine which will be donated to charity.

If the NCAA tries that, it probably won't see a dime. I'll be very surprised to see that. Such money would come out of the general budget (i.e. tuition). With 40k students, that $1,500 for each one. If there is such a fine (which, I don't think the NCAA has fined anyone before other than return of paid money, etc.) there should be a revolt on PSU's campus and a push to simply leave the NCAA (i.e. the academic side doesn't pay the NCAA).

Reaction Score
I have to disagree, let them play, but force them to not benefit financially in ANY way. All ticket, concession, TV, merchandise, and any other revenue to the university is donated to charity or the victims, that way no players, local businesses/merchants, other programs who scheduled them are affected negatively. Basically, they're playing for the sake of playing. Also, no bowls/B1G championships, and players may transfer at any time with no penalty. All current scholarships may be honored, but none allowed to be awarded for the next two seasons. That's basically a death penalty right there.

Kill the program.

This plan of yours doesn't work since there is literally no profit. They couldn't run a sports department without that revenue. It has to come from the academic side.

Yu're putting sports ahead of academics in this.

As for not hurting other programs, now we know that college ball has become TOO BIG TO FAIL. You're saying these programs are so big now that we can't have one end football?

Reaction Score
CBS now reporting $30-60 million fine which will be donated to charity.

PSU makes 50M a year from Football, plus donations. What an f''ing joke. Proof it pays to cover-up your crimes. If you don't get caught, worse case is less than 1 year of revenues. Wow. I hope the civil judgement's and associated expenses total 1B.

Reaction Score
PSU makes 50M a year from Football, plus donations. What an f''ing joke. Proof it pays to cover-up your crimes. If you don't get caught, worse case is less than 1 year of revenues. Wow. I hope the civil judgement's and associated expenses total 1B.

Sigh. Please tell me how you figure this. The school takes all revenue and pays for athletics. The academic side doesn't make a dime. Donations are considered PART of athletic revenue. As for $1 billion, they don't have $1 billion. The entire university would have to shut down.

So, shut down the football program, don't shut down the university. Why do that? Shut down the Catholic Church too while you're at it. Civil judgements will roughly be in line with those anyway, and the recent money paid by the Church to victims is about $2-3 million.

Reaction Score
Sigh. Please tell me how you figure this. The school takes all revenue and pays for athletics. The academic side doesn't make a dime. Donations are considered PART of athletic revenue. As for $1 billion, they don't have $1 billion. The entire university would have to shut down.

So, shut down the football program, don't shut down the university. Why do that? Shut down the Catholic Church too while you're at it. Civil judgements will roughly be in line with those anyway, and the recent money paid by the Church to victims is about $2-3 million.

I don't want Stinger doing my taxes but he's close (he's at the far end of the red lot @ the Rent as opposed to being in the ball park).

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/19/most-profitable-athletic-departments-big-ten/

Reaction Score
I don't want Stinger doing my taxes but he's close (he's at the far end of the red lot @ the Rent as opposed to being in the ball park).

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/19/most-profitable-athletic-departments-big-ten/

I've gone over this a ton of times. It's a sham. Creative accounting. PSU makes $80 million of its $115 in revenues from contributions ($35 million), selling paraphenalia (t-shirts and the like) ($35 million), and $10 million from soda licensing revs and such on campus (counted as AD money, would otherwise go to academics). If you back out just 10% of the contributions, 10% of the paraphenalia (i.e. $7 million), add $10 million from soda and other deals with Pepsi and the like, consider scholarship subsidy for the true cost of attendance per student, and then the fact that PSU services the debt on athletic facilities, that $15 million a year in profit vanishes.

Not to mention the fact that the deemphasis on football in the next few years is going to kill football contributions and licensing (bowl game ban ironically means that PSU will profit more unless the B1G decides to withhold revenues).

Reaction Score

You people are incredibly stupid....Gray Lot D-head and yes the Catholic Church should be shut down.

The university (PSU that is) offers more than 160 majors among all its campuses and administers $1,831.1 billion (as of June 30, 2011) in endowment and similar funds

http://articles.businessinsider.com...n-state-football-football-team-college-sports

The Penn State football team is the third most profitable program in all of college sports. In the 2009-10 academic year, the Penn State football program
produced $70.2 million in revenue and a profit of $50.4 million

.Do your taxes??? I should give you money for for food and a vasectomy. The last thing we need is for you to breed.

Reaction Score
They didn't have a legal obligation. The charter is expressly clear on this. They are to stay out of all governance matters and only conduct hiring. This is why they sought reforms in 2004. They wanted to change the university's charter. They had the exact opposite of legal authority in this matter. Legally, they were expressly forbidden from interfering by Penn. state law.

Sorry man, not trying to get in a pissing match with you but their expressed obligation does not stop at the hiring (see below, from the PSU charter). In my profession I have moved some people into and out of boards so this ain't my first rodeo...

Last 2 sentences are pretty standard and do NOT relieve board liability:

"This delegation of authority requires that the Board rely on the judgment and decisions of those who operate under its authority. However, this reliance of the Board must be based upon its continuing awareness of the operations of the University. Therefore, the Board shall receive and consider thorough and forthright reports on the affairs of the University by the President or those designated by the President. It has a continuing obligation to require information or answers on any University matter with which it is concerned.

Finally, upon request the Board shall advise the President on any University matter of concern to him/her."

Reaction Score
You people are incredibly stupid....Gray Lot D-head and yes the Catholic Church should be shut down.

The university (PSU that is) offers more than 160 majors among all its campuses and administers $1,831.1 billion (as of June 30, 2011) in endowment and similar funds

http://articles.businessinsider.com...n-state-football-football-team-college-sports

The Penn State football team is the third most profitable program in all of college sports. In the 2009-10 academic year, the Penn State football program

Sigh. The budget consists of many campuses. UP's budget is smaller. Besides that, the part of PSU's budget that is fungible is so much even smaller than that. The Research budget is huge, it's most of the total budget. companies and institutions are not handing over PSU money so that PSU can sustain its football program (by paying out). That money is untouchable. As is much of the endowment. only the fungible part of PSU's general budget and indeed its tuition can be touched. This comes out of academics.

Do I really need need to state the obvious about PSU's so-called football budget? Given Title 9, we know that all but a fraction of that profit is routed into other athletic teams. Which means, PSU should either shut down athletics at this point or otherwise charge students higher tuition to make the payment to the NCAA.

I'm simply suggesting that they are better off shutting down sports.

Reaction Score
Sorry man, not trying to get in a pissing match with you but their expressed obligation does not stop at the hiring (see below, from the PSU charter). In my profession I have moved some people into and out of boards so this ain't my first rodeo...

Last 2 sentences are pretty standard and do NOT relieve board liability:

"This delegation of authority requires that the Board rely on the judgment and decisions of those who operate under its authority. However, this reliance of the Board must be based upon its continuing awareness of the operations of the University. Therefore, the Board shall receive and consider thorough and forthright reports on the affairs of the University by the President or those designated by the President. It has a continuing obligation to require information or answers on any University matter with which it is concerned.

Finally, upon request the Board shall advise the President on any University matter of concern to him/her."

It's not a pissing match.

It's a discussion. Not a life or death fight to the finish.

I'd emphasize "with which it is concerned." This is precisely about the controversy over reforms in 2004.

The whole point of my post is that the BOT was implicated in the whole scandal so the idea they could provide oversight here is ironic--to say the least. And, there was already a power struggle in governance. All ofthis is just pushing for more oversight from the BOT--the exact last thing that PSU administration needs at this point.

Reaction Score

.Do your taxes??? I should give you money for for food and a vasectomy. The last thing we need is for you to breed.

Best you can do?

Reaction Score

An endowment is not "money in the bank" by any means, so using that as a figure for how much money a university has is not a representative way to approach it. If the 30-50 million figure is correct, that is a significant penalty, and I imagine it's not the only one that would be imposed. My question is, can the NCAA impose fines?

Reaction Score
Sigh. The budget consists of many campuses. UP's budget is smaller. Besides that, the part of PSU's budget that is fungible is so much even smaller than that. The Research budget is huge, it's most of the total budget. companies and institutions are not handing over PSU money so that PSU can sustain its football program (by paying out). That money is untouchable. As is much of the endowment. only the fungible part of PSU's general budget and indeed its tuition can be touched. This comes out of academics.

Do I really need need to state the obvious about PSU's so-called football budget? Given Title 9, we know that all but a fraction of that profit is routed into other athletic teams. Which means, PSU should either shut down athletics at this point or otherwise charge students higher tuition to make the payment to the NCAA.

I'm simply suggesting that they are better off shutting down sports.

I never said that the profit was not routed to the other teams. I stated that PSU football is responsible for 50M in revenue plus donations (e.g. just like the money we received from Burton, etc.) The endowment is what it is, 1.8B. How much of that is Happy Valley? Can we agree on 60% or higher? They stand to lose a lot of money in civil suits. Also don't forget about the cost of litigation and all of the associated ediscovery costs. That alone could exceed 100M for 10+ lawsuits. Nothing is off-limits once judgement's are handed down. PSU will likely look to settle out of court. No way a public institution can add a surcharge for pedophile cost containment, that's silly to suggest.

Reaction Score
An endowment is not "money in the bank" by any means, so using that as a figure for how much money a university has is not a representative way to approach it. If the 30-50 million figure is correct, that is a significant penalty, and I imagine it's not the only one that would be imposed. My question is, can the NCAA impose fines?

30-60M is one year or less of Football net income and less than 1 year of revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger