OT: Pats-Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How could someone not know who Bill Nye is? Methinks upstater might be trollin

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wow. If this ends up being true, then the whole thing was just a huge waste of bandwidth.

Weighing all the "evidence" so far, what makes you think it's not a waste of bandwidth already?

Reaction Score
It's starting to look like the NFL conspired with the Colts to set up a sting against the Pats last Sunday.

Reaction Score
But Belichick studied the football for a couple days, i'm sure he must be right.

I can easily give you dozens of links by people who weighed in on this last week and said, yes weather causes temperature decrease. MIT professors who are Bills fans in the Boston Globe. The Patriots also have a RPI grad with undergrad and grad degrees in Aeronautical engineering as their DC.

Just answer one question: will you acknowledge that Nye got it completely wrong is saying Belichick argued that friction of the surface of the football causes some deflation? Because Belichick clearly said it caused PSI to go up. Not down. Nye got that wrong.

I expect you to evade.

Reaction Score
How could someone not know who Bill Nye is? Methinks upstater might be trollin

Other than ESPN and ports, I watch next to zero TV. I really don't know who he is. I know what Good Morning America is.

Reaction Score
I enjoy the fact that Patriot fans are now touting Belichick's scientific acumen over Bill Nye's. That guy is the Michael Jordan of science.

It's pretty clear that Belichick didn't know what he was talking about, and as he said, I'm no scientist. The Patriots do have a guy with a degree at DC.

That being said, Nye got it completely wrong. Belichick said (as Im sure he was told) friction causes PSI to go up, not down. And, there are dozens of professors backing Belichick up on the natural deflation of the ball from inside warm weather to outside colder weather.

Having never seen Nye speak before in my life, then yes, I would definitely tout Belichick's scientific acumen over Nye's for 2 reasons:

1. Balls naturally deflate due to air temperature
2. The question of whether friction causes deflation is irrelevant, since Belichick said nothing of the sort.

Reaction Score
If only 1 ball was deflated by 2 PSI, while all the others were all down by around only 1 PSI, and that one ball was handled by the Colts equipment guy, then ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
It's starting to look like the NFL conspired with the Colts to set up a sting against the Pats last Sunday.

If that turns out to be true, the NFL has a much bigger problem than the PSI in a football, even if there is clear video evidence of Belichick and Brady deflating the balls and laughing about what a huge advantage it is.

Reaction Score
If the NFL comes out and says the Patriots weren't at fault.... Just imagine how fired up they are going to be after going through what may be the most ridiculous drama filled garbage ESPN has ever sprouted.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
So, Belichick himself said he knew nothing about this (air pressure, etc) a couple days ago. But you would listen to him on a scientific issue. This isn't Bill Nye discussing defense here.
I have a BA in Art F^cking History, a MA in Writing, and you know what, I forgot more about science than you will ever know. How's that? Because I worked in engineering (RF transmission and Wireless Networks) for 20 years before becoming a Lab Manager/Code Monkey in an Ivy League NIH funded Dev Bio Lab.
Your formal education is nothing, it's what you do that matters. And Bill Nye is an ENTERTAINER. He is not a scientist. At least BB described the process and the results, Nye just blithered on about this and that and chose to ignore a fundamental law in physics.
And this: http://www.headsmartlabs.com/#in-the-news with the video:

But of course, a CMU graduate wouldn't know anything about Charles' Law.

Reaction Score
Come on Mau, there was one other 'filming' violation :) Leave it to Josh McDaniels to hire the same video coordinator from spygate while he's the coach of the Broncos, and then get caught filming a 49ers walkthrough in London in 2010. Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Ahhh yes, the president of the Peyton Manning Fan Boy Club weighs in. Listen, we're all sorry that the Broncos were embarrased by an inferior Colts team on their home field. We're sorry that the Broncos are bogged down with huge contracts for Peyton, Ware, and Talib. We're sorry that your coaching staff has been disbanded. But hey, keep your head up... we all hope that everything works out for you... enjoy the Superbowl, and get those Papa John's coupons ready!!!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I'm with Boba on most of this stuff.

And, if you really want to screw up what everyone thinks they know about this....pump up the ball with some warm(ish) air, that has a fairly high humidity.

Then take the ball outside and let it cool down below the dew point.

After the phase change, it will be tough to find the initial air pressure again, even if you heat the ball back up to the original inflation temperature (or even higher)!

Reaction Score
Ahhh yes, the president of the Peyton Manning Fan Boy Club weighs in. Listen, we're all sorry that the Broncos were embarrased by an inferior Colts team on their home field. We're sorry that the Broncos are bogged down with huge contracts for Peyton, Ware, and Talib. We're sorry that your coaching staff has been disbanded. But hey, keep your head up... we all hope that everything works out for you... enjoy the Superbowl, and get those Papa John's coupons ready!!!

Hey, my stalker is back! I have like 3 posts in a 19 page thread, but congrats, you found them! Usually you have to dig pages deep for 3 week old posts.

Reaction Score
Hey, my stalker is back! I have like 3 posts in a 19 page thread, but congrats, you found them! Usually you have to dig pages deep for 3 week old posts.

Thanks for the congrats. I feel as though its my duty to call out your stupidity from time to time, and with your recent flurry of activity over this deflated ball thing it's making my job pretty easy.

Reaction Score
Just answer one question: will you acknowledge that Nye got it completely wrong is saying Belichick argued that friction of the surface of the football causes some deflation? Because Belichick clearly said it caused PSI to go up. Not down. Nye got that wrong.

I expect you to evade.

No, cause Bill Nye said rubbing the football does NOTHING to PSI.

Reaction Score
John Harbaugh is out in Glendale practically Bellichick to anyone who will listen, begging for forgiveness. This whole story has taken a pretty crazy turn and - surprise surprise - the NFL looks like it might end up with egg on its face.

Reaction Score
Seems like now that the media frenzy has subsided it has kind of dawned on the country what this is. The facts are 11 footballs were under-inflated for one-half of one game. There is zero proof or official allegation that anyone did anything purposefully. Yet because of media, fan and possibly individual bias against BBelichick and the Pats for either past cheating, rule bending or winning this became a huge deal AND a massive cheating conspiracy was assumed. The last part is what I truly don't understand, almost everyone acknowledges it didn't impact Pats-Colts, yet almost everyone not in NE or Pats fans is 99.9% convinced this occurred many times before. Prove they previously under-inflated footballs and prove that this time or any time it was done intentionally.

I challenge anyone to explain this to someone outside the USA and convince that someone that this is worthy of any outrage or even 1/100,000 of the coverage it received.

Reaction Score
Seems like now that the media frenzy has subsided it has kind of dawned on the country what this is. The facts are 11 footballs were under-inflated for one-half of one game. There is zero proof or official allegation that anyone did anything purposefully. Yet because of media, fan and possibly individual bias against BBelichick and the Pats for either past cheating, rule bending or winning this became a huge deal AND a massive cheating conspiracy was assumed. The last part is what I truly don't understand, almost everyone acknowledges it didn't impact Pats-Colts, yet almost everyone not in NE or Pats fans is 99.9% convinced this occurred many times before. Prove they previously under-inflated footballs and prove that this time or any time it was done intentionally.

I challenge anyone to explain this to someone outside the USA and convince that someone that this is worthy of any outrage or even 1/100,000 of the coverage it received.
As you say, the fact is 11 footballs were under-inflated for one half of one game. Most people don't think that footballs will just under-inflate themselves. The fact that the Colts footballs were properly inflated and the Pats weren't and the Patriots previously running afoul of the rules leads many to believe they intentionally deflated the footballs, it seems like a fairly logical conclusion.

Reaction Score
As you say, the fact is 11 footballs were under-inflated for one half of one game. Most people don't think that footballs will just under-inflate themselves. The fact that the Colts footballs were properly inflated and the Pats weren't and the Patriots previously running afoul of the rules leads many to believe they intentionally deflated the footballs, it seems like a fairly logical conclusion.
So what? I don't understand how this is SO MUCH bigger than watering down the base paths or growing the grass long. Or stalling on a pitcher, or flopping. Or taking steroids or amphetamines or deer antler spray.

So everyone should believe that because the Patriots cheated in 2007 they must be guilty of under-inflating footballs (because we have 11 from 1,500+ used in games since 2007) on a widespread basis and heaping untold gains from this practice?! Without considering that everyone may be wrong, over-reacting or completely petty and possibly insane?

Reaction Score
So what? I don't understand how this is SO MUCH bigger than watering down the base paths or growing the grass long. Or stalling on a pitcher, or flopping. Or taking steroids or amphetamines or deer antler spray.

So everyone should believe that because the Patriots cheated in 2007 they must be guilty of under-inflating footballs (because we have 11 from 1,500+ used in games since 2007) on a widespread basis and heaping untold gains from this practice?! Without considering that everyone may be wrong, over-reacting or completely petty and possibly insane?

The idea that the Patriots didn't do this deliberately is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the articles that they should be banned from the Super Bowl for it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Small scandal kept alive only by the defensiveness of the Pats. And kept alive on the BY by the defensiveness of of Pats' fans.

If watering a base path was expressly forbidden and both teams used different base paths,Dogdeacon might be right. But this is more like using a slightly modified ball in baseball. Or putting cork in a bat.

But I repeat that this is only being discussed because no one said "Oops, I'm sorry." And because some Pats fans believe that footballs can selectively deflate or that old enemies plot against them.

I kinda liked the Pats before this. Now I hope they lose until the end of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom