OT: Pat Tillman | The Boneyard

OT: Pat Tillman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wondering what the Boneyard thinks about whether or not he should be in the HoF. I am kind of wavering back and forth on this.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I respect the HELL out of his sacrifice, but I'm kind of with Peter King on this : there are a number of NFLers who made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, but they aren't all HOFers. PK also mentioned that there is apparently a nice exhibit honoring Tillman in the HOF (I don't recall seeing it when I was there a few years ago, maybe it's newer?). That feels about right to me.

Reaction Score
Tillman is in the college football HOF already. He earned that spot as a player, and a student. NFL - I don't think he gets a spot there. Tillman's choice to serve instead of play football, and his death, everything about it, is a perfect example of the saying that war is hell. His military career should be remembered as an example of what NOT to do from grunts with machine guns on the ground, all the way up through the chain of command to generals of armies and into the oval office. HIs NFL football career, he didn't do enough in the NFL to be recognized there, and it is not the appropriate place for his life and death to be recognized for what his military career entailed.

Removing Stanley McChrystal's name from anything having to do with West Point, and studying everything about Tillman's career and how the officers above him operated, at West Point - is what should be done - so that the same thing never happens again.

Reaction Score
There is no greater sacrifice than someone, male or female, giving up their life for this great country. Perhaps the NFL should change the Pro Bowl into something that the general public would actually pay attention to and the players would actually play for other than a paycheck...The Wounded Warriors Memorial Bowl comes to mind. But I'm certain like minded BYers could come up with something just as fitting.
P.s. I don't watch the PB because I don't believe it's a true measure of a professional players commitment to his craft. Not that I doubt their talent or that they aren't deserving of the recognition. I just think that with the Arizona Memorial nearby they and most of the country fail to comprehend what it means when someone gives their true measure of devotion and that it's so much bigger than a football game. Let them play for something other than a paycheck and a vacation. Let them play for something that the country can be thankful for.
P.s.s. I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry if I offended anyone.
P.s.s.s. Please don't read anything political into this. It isn't.
GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
I kind of feel that thee HoF should include anyone who makes an impact on the game through their play or their actions. It doesn't necessarily require stats over the long term to justify it. For this reason I'd include a guy like Bo Jackson, who was a huge impact guy, even though his career was cut short by injury. Tillman is one of many who have served in the military, but the fact that so many years after his death we're still talking about the courage and character of this guy, his impact should at least be considered. My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom