OT- Overhyped SEC on Display Again | The Boneyard

OT- Overhyped SEC on Display Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched a good portion of the South Carolina Vandy game last night. USC came in as the #9 ranked team in the nation and left with a 17-13 victory. Not a well played game and certainly not a top 10 team. The talking heads will interpret this as an indication that Vandy has made great strides an can hang with the top of the SEC.

Bottom line - the SEC is as for years has been a very top heavy conference. The middle of the pack in the SEC is just not a strong as polls and pundits continue to indicate.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game because I was busy last night, but I think people are putting way too much stock in how teams perform in the first games of the season.

You are never as good or bad as you seem to be after Week 1.

Reaction Score
The sec is not overhyped. I watched the game in Vegas (usc-6.5 ouch. But i did take uconn- 21!!). 2 things stood out, James Franklin has a good thing going in Vandy, and if Connor Shaw is out, South Carolina will struggle to get to. 500.

When Shaw got hurt, that team went in the tank on O. Lattimore had his moments but is clearly not close to 100%. The D is going to be good, the only glaring mistake was the db going for an int on Matthews 78 yard td. There two D ends are beasts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The SEC is amazingly overhyped, ACC of hoops.

Bama, LSU, UF and possibly a UGA, Ark or Aub with an illegal player pops in here or there.

Bottom 1/2 of Conf blows and the past Bama, LSU any other league's teams can play with them.

Not sure why the media (beyond CBS) feels compelled 2 hype the rednecks.

The sec is not overhyped. I watched the game in Vegas (usc-6.5 ouch. But i did take uconn- 21!!). 2 things stood out, James Franklin has a good thing going in Vandy, and if Connor Shaw is out, South Carolina will struggle to get to. 500.

When Shaw got hurt, that team went in the tank on O. Lattimore had his moments but is clearly not close to 100%. The D is going to be good, the only glaring mistake was the db going for an int on Matthews 78 yard td. There two D ends are beasts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What's the bottom half of the Big East look like?
What's the bottom half of the ACC look like?
What's the bottom half of the Pac-12 look like?
What's the bottom half of the Big 10 look like?
What's the bottom half of the Big 12 look like?

Repeat questions for the top halves and then compare to the SEC. The bottom halves all suck and the top halves all pale in comparison to the SEC. Sure a couple SEC teams will get ranked that don't necessarily deserve it but nothing outside the top 10 realistically matters anyways besides for the sake of saying "we are ranked."

Reaction Score
Yes, but the media always talks in terms of the SEC whereas with other conferences it's USC, Oregon or UT, OU, OSU or Wisc, OSU, etc. To suggest the SEC is good because of 2 teams is annoying.

What's the bottom half of the Big East look like?
What's the bottom half of the ACC look like?
What's the bottom half of the Pac-12 look like?
What's the bottom half of the Big 10 look like?
What's the bottom half of the Big 12 look like?

Repeat questions for the top halves and then compare to the SEC. The bottom halves all suck and the top halves all pale in comparison to the SEC. Sure a couple SEC teams will get ranked that don't necessarily deserve it but nothing outside the top 10 realistically matters anyways besides for the sake of saying "we are ranked."

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The SEC is amazingly overhyped, ACC of hoops.

Bama, LSU, UF and possibly a UGA, Ark or Aub with an illegal player pops in here or there.

Bottom 1/2 of Conf blows and the past Bama, LSU any other league's teams can play with them.

Not sure why the media (beyond CBS) feels compelled 2 hype the rednecks.

OK, now one of the bottom 7-8 SEC teams is blowing out a team that is supposed to compete for the ACC title. I love when people make these types of comments about SEC teams barely beating each other. For the last 4 years, the SEC has flat out been dominant.

Reaction Score
no, Clem or FSU. So the middling teams from the ACC are getting beat by the middling teams from the SEC?

Who really cares, the SEC is a joke, awful academics beyond 2-3 schools and virtually minor league sports with UK and Bama football.

They are a black eye for college athletics in a way.

OK, now one of the bottom 7-8 SEC teams is blowing out a team that is supposed to compete for the ACC title. I love when people make these types of comments about SEC teams barely beating each other. For the last 4 years, the SEC has flat out been dominant.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
no, Clem or FSU. So the middling teams from the ACC are getting beat by the middling teams from the SEC?

Who really cares, the SEC is a joke, awful academics beyond 2-3 schools and virtually minor league sports with UK and Bama football.

They are a black eye for college athletics in a way.

NC State is supposed to be the 3rd or 4th best team in the ACC. Tenn is about the 7th or 8th best team in the SEC.

Regarding the academics, I'll certainly agree that the Big 10, ACC, and the original BE members have better schools, but now UConn is in a conference with Memphis, Houston, and Boise St. There really isn't much room to discuss conference academic rankings anymore. As far as the pseudo minor league comment, I cannot really disagree with that to an extent.

SEC is a black eye for college sports? I don't really think so. Miami and UNC are much much worse examples right now.

The hatred for the SEC here is really silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom