OT - Online Classes/Degrees | The Boneyard

OT - Online Classes/Degrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Do any of you guys have experiences with them? cheaper, more economical... positives and/or negatives?

Is it quicker to get a degree or same time frame as going to a physical building?

Devry, Phoenix etc

thanks in advance

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I am getting a grad degree from the University of Texas at Dallas that is partially online...I have one class a semester at the University and two or more online. It isn't any cheaper to take the class but when you factor in gas, parking fees, time cost, etc, online is much better (if you are good at time management)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
For-profit institutions like DeVry and Phoenix deserve a significant share of the blame for the existing student loan debt crisis in this country. They are extremely dangerous and are doing people a significant disservice.

Getting specific training or certification from an institution like that is OK, but I would not get a degree from there.

Online classes are becoming more and more accepted across the board. The flexibility, time savings, and parking/gas savings that Sara alludes to are legitimate. The primary downside is missing out on the opportunities to network with your classmates (depending on the nature of the degree and the class structure).

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
I think it's... hard.

To a point, it can be really convenient when you don't stay in the same place long enough. ;) We were living in central Georgia when my husband started his. He was working on his webMBA through a program offered through a consortium of Georgia colleges. Then he switched to a program (after only about a semester) more related to his bachelor's degree/profession. He was able to continue it when we moved to Atlanta and then to Huntsville.

He was taking one class at a time. He'd come home from work around 5 and do nothing but study until he collapsed in bed at around 11:30. He was just SO consumed with it. He wasn't getting any exercise and gained a lot of weight.

It was somewhat expensive. His then-employer would only reimburse a small portion and it seems like a lot of these programs just tend to be as expensive as they can be. Maybe under the assumption that employers pay a bigger portion than they do. His current employer would pay 100% of he were working on the degree now. Anyway, his then-employer just had no motivation to utilize the degree. He applied for other positions within the company and they refused to consider him and pay him more. So he finally got tired of it and left to work for a direct competitor, making about 25% more--and using this degree. Which is good because we owe a LOT of money for what wasn't covered.

Online classes, in general, are hard, though. I took two during the summer before I graduated. It fit best with my work schedule. I'd wake up, study, nap, shower, go to work, come home, study until about 4AM (if I didn't work OT--if I did, I wasn't finished until 4AM anyway), sleep, study, et cetera. It might work for some people but I don't think I could actually do a whole degree that way. But maybe it's my personality...

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah, the benefit to online classes are if they are something that requires lots of reading and not much discussion time in class, I've found. I'm doing a marketing degree, so anything that involves case studies, theory, current issues, etc, I would rather take in person because it is much better to learn and engage with the professor, speakers, other classmates, etc.

But classes that involve straight reading or technical skills, it's easier to take at home and go at your own pace, I've found.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For-profit institutions like DeVry and Phoenix deserve a significant share of the blame for the existing student loan debt crisis in this country. They are extremely dangerous and are doing people a significant disservice.

Getting specific training or certification from an institution like that is OK, but I would not get a degree from there.

While I don't think I would get a degree from one either, I think we can cast plenty of blame for the student loan debt crisis on the traditional schools. When you compare what it costs for a semester at a traditional college now versus what it cost 20 or 30 or more years ago - ok, I know times are different but the incrememtal increase compared to cost of living, average salaries, etc. simply can't be in line.

And I saw some folks mentioning advanced degrees. While I lived in NJ I often received brochures from Rutgers advertising advanced business and management degrees. The costs were outragous for a normal person - even one earning what I consider a good salary. As someone above stated, I think there is a presumption that an employer is paying, which is probably less and less likely given the economy and employment practices.

Reaction Score
While I look at on-line programs with a great deal of skepticism, logic tells me, they COULD be the wave of the future.
First, there's the cost issue. Proprietary schools are going to eye the bottom line more closely than traditional schools. Traditional schools are going to have to "get with the program". 8% - 10% or more year=t0-year increases are NOT going to be sustainable. Other than brand-recognition traditional universities will have to be more product competitive.
Technology (such as Go-to-meeting ect) may allow more collaborative interaction (til recently, missing or limited from on-line deals).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
While I don't think I would get a degree from one either, I think we can cast plenty of blame for the student loan debt crisis on the traditional schools. When you compare what it costs for a semester at a traditional college now versus what it cost 20 or 30 or more years ago - ok, I know times are different but the incrememtal increase compared to cost of living, average salaries, etc. simply can't be in line.

And I saw some folks mentioning advanced degrees. While I lived in NJ I often received brochures from Rutgers advertising advanced business and management degrees. The costs were outragous for a normal person - even one earning what I consider a good salary. As someone above stated, I think there is a presumption that an employer is paying, which is probably less and less likely given the economy and employment practices.
There's a difference between "significant" share of the blame and "exclusive".

Really, lower tier universities have the same pitfalls as for-profit ones: ROI is out of whack with cost. And yes, even professionally valuable degree costs outstrip the rate of inflation. The problem is twofold. One is that professions that require highly skilled, in-person provisions of goods an services always increase in cost well above CPI. Concert tickets, a college degree, medical care, you name it. When a business can't move its production to locations with a comparative advantage, pricing goes up. The second issue is that, specific to higher education, there has been the over-availability of low-interest loans. Providing credit to fund the availability of a product or service causes a micro-inflationary effect. It can also cause significant bubbles, and education in general is one that's set to burst sooner rather than later.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
You have to draw a total distinction between on-line courses from traditional universities which are definitely the wave of the future, and the highly advertised for-profit "schools" which more closely resemble used car dealers. They are mostly vultures, feeding on ignorance, student loans and the GI Bill. Their "education" is weak or non-existent, their 'degrees" are pretty much worthless and their profits are high.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You have to draw a total distinction between on-line courses from traditional universities which are definitely the wave of the future, and the highly advertised for-profit "schools" which more closely resemble used car dealers. They are mostly vultures, feeding on ignorance, student loans and the GI Bill. Their "education" is weak or non-existent, their 'degrees" are pretty much worthless and their profits are high.
is that a fact or an opinion? not that I'm disagreeing just though you could provide figures or links

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and I just used Phx & Devry as examples of what the topic was about... there's tons of "online schools" out there that are not "highly advevrtised.

Reaction Score
You can check out Charter Oak State College which is located in New Britain, CT. The courses are affordable around $700-$750 for a 3 credit class. Actually, I'm graduating from there on June 3rd. Best of luck in choosing a school.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
is that a fact or an opinion? not that I'm disagreeing just though you could provide figures or links

It is my opinion that for-profit advanced degrees don't really do much for your career. I just got an MBA from a well-respected university in my area... and I'm still finding it more difficult to get a job. I can only imagine if I went to Phoenix or another for-profit university...

Yes, it is much more convenient for people's schedules, but that is a short-term way of looking at things. The long-term view is how will your future employers/recruiters look at your education and my guess is that for-profit universities don't get much credit. I had an opportunity to work for a for-profit university and I declined. I don't really agree with what they stand for and describing them as vultures is really how I would sum them up.

Again, this is only my opinion, so I apologize if I offended anyone.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My daughter got her Phd on line (mostly) from a not for profit university. She holds down a full time job and she's also a mom. She would not have been able to do it if she had to attend classes on campus. Her employer split the tuition cost with her.

I think it is going to become more and more common for grad students to continue their education on line.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It is my opinion that for-profit advanced degrees don't really do much for your career. I just got an MBA from a well-respected university in my area... and I'm still finding it more difficult to get a job. I can only imagine if I went to Phoenix or another for-profit university...

Yes, it is much more convenient for people's schedules, but that is a short-term way of looking at things. The long-term view is how will your future employers/recruiters look at your education and my guess is that for-profit universities don't get much credit. I had an opportunity to work for a for-profit university and I declined. I don't really agree with what they stand for and describing them as vultures is really how I would sum them up.

Again, this is only my opinion, so I apologize if I offended anyone.
thanks Saki... I value your opinion

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You can check out Charter Oak State College which is located in New Britain, CT. The courses are affordable around $700-$750 for a 3 credit class. Actually, I'm graduating from there on June 3rd. Best of luck in choosing a school.
was everything done online?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My sister-in-law got her degree from Phoenix almost a decade ago in computer design she has a very good job in Manhattan as the result. As always once you have a degree your longterm success depends on your ability to demonstrate command of the material and how you have grown it.

Reaction Score
I learned nothing in college. "It was really kind of my own fault. I had a double-major: Psychology and Reverse Psychology. B. J. Novak

Reaction Score
DaddyChoc,
All of the courses are online. Here's there website address: charteroak.edu. Check to see if they offer a degree in the field you're interested. They are also an accredited school.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DaddyChoc,
All of the courses are online. Here's there website address: charteroak.edu. Check to see if they offer a degree in the field you're interested. They are also an accredited school.
thanks... I'll check it out tonight when Im at the computer doing NOTHING

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My sister-in-law got her degree from Phoenix almost a decade ago in computer design she has a very good job in Manhattan as the result. As always once you have a degree your longterm success depends on your ability to demonstrate command of the material and how you have grown it.
thanks Ice

Reaction Score
My two cents: There has been some documented problems with for-profit organizations; I remember low graduation rates and high student debt being mentioned. Essentially, there's not much of a support system there.
My sister got certified as a vet assistant through an online program, which was entirely done online except for an internship that her program arranged. She is now working for the organization she interned for, as a vet tech (which is one step up the ladder from assistant).
I expect the bottom line is to do your research, as you might when applying for and choosing a brick and mortar school. And double-check accreditation.

Reaction Score
Do any of you guys have experiences with them? cheaper, more economical... positives and/or negatives?

Is it quicker to get a degree or same time frame as going to a physical building?

Devry, Phoenix etc

thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure Biff can make a really nice looking degree for you.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
thanks... I'll check it out tonight when Im at the computer doing NOTHING

I finished up my bachelors with Charter Oak back in 2000. All self study and what passed for "online" at the time (except some exams that required proctoring at the Charter Oak "campus"). Never regreted it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom