OT: One school, SIX logos?... | The Boneyard

OT: One school, SIX logos?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
This has been touched on in a couple of separate threads, but IMHO it kinda needs it's own place: UConn really needs to nail down one logo - two at the most - and just run with it. Currently we have six in circulation:

* The Husky-Head (ubiquitous)
* The Block-C (football)
* The interlocking 'UC' (men's hoops)
* The 'C-ball' (women's hoops)
* The Script-C (baseball)
* The Oak Leaf (academics)

That's just too many. Out of all these, which one is the 'keeper'? Or is there a better one we haven't seen yet that trumps them all?...

Reaction Score
I was thinking of that the other day when watching the women. I hat their logo and think they have too much red.
Personally, I like the football block-C. It's strong. I think it should be plastered all over the state.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
think about florida, texas, alabama, michigan, indiana, illinois etc

Block C for main logo(texas t, alabama a...)
husky dog is side logo(florida gator....)
oak leaf as 3rd logo(think USCe type flasg and cool stuff. a alternate fball uniform with this on the helmet would be cool.

all uniforms say "connecticut" across the front. the 3rd/alternate can say "UConn" or "huskies"

i always agree, need to get this under control, i think doing so would cause a huge boost in sales of whatever the new gear goes with in all sports. it also makes the fanbases closer together in a weird way. older couple goes to the football game, they wear red and green. there huge girls bball fans but there shirts look nothing like uconn fball stuff so they dont even think to wear them....we can change that.

Reaction Score
I think the Husky head is classic and most recognizable.

I think it should be cut down to the Husky head and Block C.

The Oak Leaf is fine for academic logos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The number is staggering. Check out this LINK

I like the the dog myself. It's not traditional, especially for football, but it is unique and well recognized.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
images

images
put that straight instead of on a curve on our newer unis

all other sports drop the uc's interlocking and uconns for this look^. dark blue jersey with white block "connecticut". husky dog on sides of shorts and some nice lines for touch on the unis. away go white with blue font. anternate/3rd go with w/e the color thing is with nike(fball balck) etc and do the oak leaf or the husky dog as the main thing font "huskies"...etc

Reaction Score
If I had to choose my picks would be the block C and Husky logo, keep the oak leaf for academics. If teams want to personalize the block C they can change the border color. It is kind of cool though how each team has their own unique logo.
For our third uniform I would go with a metallic flake white helmet with metallic flake Blue block C and blue facemask (retro except the block C replaces the scrpit UConn that was on the helmets) white shirts with double navy stripe on sleve and navy trim on collar and shirt sleeves, Navy Connecticut across front, navy player name across the back, blue numbers; white pants with wide navy stripe down the side, white with navy accent shoes...reverse it for 4th uniform (flip flop white and navy colors above)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
images

images
florida got away from the interlocking UF and went to just F. thats what we should be doing. they have the gator which is a cool logo just like our husky. its on the sides of there bball shorts and even in the line sof the fball pants. i like it and wish we would put some interest in that style.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
images
they rock the script. i think its cool but we already made the choice to go bold. baseball team needs ot be on board with everyone else, were not shalalalala.
images
another bold, alot of schools have the bold letter. it sells me more on being the C in that group of schools.

Reaction Score
This has been touched on in a couple of separate threads, but IMHO it kinda needs it's own place: UConn really needs to nail down one logo - two at the most - and just run with it. Currently we have six in circulation:

* The Husky-Head (ubiquitous)
* The Block-C (football)
* The interlocking 'UC' (men's hoops)
* The 'C-ball' (women's hoops)
* The Script-C (baseball)
* The Oak Leaf (academics)

That's just too many. Out of all these, which one is the 'keeper'? Or is there a better one we haven't seen yet that trumps them all?...

If a good NYC ad firm is hired, the number of "identifiers" will be reduced as part of an INTEGRATED program. Everything (print, billboard, web, tv, apparel, brick-a-brack, even radio will be immediately identifiable as a UCONN "who/what/where/why." Please, Ms. Herbst. Hire Pro's!

Reaction Score
Totally agree, we have too many logos. Block C and Husky is all you need. I wish we could have gone back in time and put the baseball "C" on everything including football helmets but Block C does look good and is very recognizable, so stick with those 2 and Only exception being the baseball hats. The basketball UC's have to go, especially the women's, just plain awful. And if UConn was planning on sticking with a little red in everything than would have liked to have seen football jerseys like ole miss with the old UConn in cursive. But right now there are too many variations of every sport and uniform. Either go with the red or don't in everything.

Reaction Score
I agree that there are too many. I would go with the oakleaf for academic and general university matters. For athletic undertakings, I'd go with the block C and the Husky. I'm not a big one for the school name on the front of the football uniforms, too busy, so I think that is how you deal with that. For basketball and hockey and so on, go UCONN on home uniforms and Connecticut on road uniforms. Baseball uniforms are a whole different catagory, I thin. I guess I don't have a problem with different script there, though I'd use the block C on the caps. Shirts could go either with script Connecticut or I really like the uniforms they had maybe 10-15 years ago. HOme uniforms were white and had Huskies in blue script trimmed with red. Looked veryvery sharp. I think the road greys just said Connecticut in script. And I wish the hockey team would bring back the Husky head logo even if it were jsut for the occassional alternate sweater. That was, and is still, one of the coolest uniforms I've seen in any sport.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Look... someone put a lot of thought when the academic logo was redesigned (around the time I graduated, '98) and the athletic marks (about the time we upgraded football). It's not one mark, but the marks and fonts are related to each other. The font for the MBB interlocking UC and the football block C are the same. The women's C logo is different but the font on the unis is the same. I'm no Don Draper but I can tell that the job was to come up with a family of related logos instead of just one or two logos, and I think they were successful. The exception is the script C on the baseball unis, but why change that just to be the same as other sports? Keep it distinctive. UConn has enough brand equity that if it says "UConn" or "Connecticut" somewhere on the TV broadcast people know who it is.

Having said that, I do think it might be a good idea to put a small Husky logo on the football uni somewhere, perhaps on the pants, and I also agree to use red accents in all the unis, or none.

Reaction Score
There's a basketball with a block "C" signed by Kemba Walker in CL82's link. That, along with ESPN using the block "C" for basketball game highlights at times, may be a telling sign what we will use as a "main" logo down the road.

We need to work on our football jerseys, though.

Reaction Score
There's a basketball with a block "C" signed by Kemba Walker in CL82's link. That, along with ESPN using the block "C" for basketball game highlights at times, may be a telling sign what we will use as a "main" logo down the road.

We need to work on our football jerseys, though.
Don't let Nostical hear that... according to him we have one of the best football jerseys in all of college football.

Reaction Score
Don't let Nostical hear that... according to him we have one of the best football jerseys in all of college football.
Then I hope he is involved in recruiting!

Reaction Score
Like the block C, like to see a little silver in the outline or even that chrome look like Oregon did on their helmets

Reaction Score
I was wondering why the basketball teams have the new Nike outfits, but the football uniforms are much more traditional.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I personally HATE both basketball logos - the nondescript UC and the women's C with the stupid basketball are both crap.

I'd love to see the block C take over - it's a great symbol and has some historical links.

Reaction Score
Block C. The Husky. Period. Blue w White numbers for home, Blue pants/White trim home and away. Blue helmet, White Block C (White helmet, Blue Block C as an occasional special alternative). Maybe a grey jersey (for special occasions). Maybe red jersey (that's a stretch even for special occasions). The use of red trim, maybe somewhere at some points, but not a big fan.

Reaction Score
I hope we completely do away with the puppy dog look with the red tongue... save that look for the toddlers and grandparents at the UCONN CO-OP to purchase on sweatshirts

Reaction Score
uconn cheer.jpg

The block C and jonathan have co-existed for, well, as far as I can tell, as long as the university has had logos. This photo is 50 years old.

It's the other stuff that's the fluff.

(BTW - that's a football crowd at Memorial stadium in the background.)

Reaction Score
Carl,

Love the picture. You know in some respects I really tink the 1AA label really hurt attendance at a number of schools. Back in the 1970s UCONN averaged 12-13000 for home games. By the 1990s it was way down, closer to 8-9000. UMass was similar. they used to draw pretty well in the 60s and 70s but attendance dropped off later. I recall going to 2 UCONN-UMass games that were "sellouts" one in Storrs and one in Amherst. Memorial's capacity was smaller then, I think around 14,500. The expanded it with new bleachers on the east side in the late 1970s I think to around 16,500.

Reaction Score
Carl,

Love the picture. You know in some respects I really tink the 1AA label really hurt attendance at a number of schools. Back in the 1970s UCONN averaged 12-13000 for home games. By the 1990s it was way down, closer to 8-9000. UMass was similar. they used to draw pretty well in the 60s and 70s but attendance dropped off later. I recall going to 2 UCONN-UMass games that were "sellouts" one in Storrs and one in Amherst. Memorial's capacity was smaller then, I think around 14,500. The expanded it with new bleachers on the east side in the late 1970s I think to around 16,500.

Oh lord, are you trying to provoke me into another dissertation? :) Yes - the separation of division 1 football in to division 1-A, and 1-AA levels in 1978 most definitely ahd an effect on the interest in the sport locally, when the best athletes, that grew up locally, started going to places far away. UConn was still drawing decent sized crowds to memorial in the 80s and into the 90s. We've operated at a very good capacity at Rentschler with the upgrade to 1-A level in a 40,000 seat facility. We've done so, without ever having played a home game ranked in the top 25. (to my knowledge, I'm pretty sure we fell out of the rankings before we got to play at home when we were ranked - might be wrong) anyway......the fan support is there. Just got to win, and we will sell out regularly at Rentschler too, and sell outs at Rentschler are not unusual anyway.

The split had wide ranging impact on not just the sport of intercollegiate football, but on intercollegiate athletics as a whole across the entire country, and specifically in the high density population area, and high density concentration of colleges in the northeast USA, it had very real measurable affect all the way down to grade school athletic programs of all kinds.

The point of that photo, was to show that the block C is not something new to the university of CT. What I'd like to see is Jonathan get back on the football uniform in a secondary spot. Sleeve or hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom