OT: Oklahoma State Football Under Investigation | The Boneyard

OT: Oklahoma State Football Under Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Oklahoma Lite was already slapped with a major 1 practice per week reduction as a result for not meeting APR standards. One can only imagine what kind of penalty they would face from the big, bad NCAA. $500 fine? Loss of 1 study hall session per week? "Orange Pride" program cut back to only allow for 3-somes (BUT NO MORE 4-somes!!!!)? Or will the NCAA rule that because all student athletes had access to the "Orange Pride" program, schoolwork being done by tutors, and all the drugs they can smoke/shoot/snort, that it was not discriminating against the Field Hockey team?

I can't wait to find out.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...0794/report-ncaa-investigating-oklahoma-state

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Oklahoma Lite was already slapped with a major 1 practice per week reduction as a result for not meeting APR standards. One can only imagine what kind of penalty they would face from the big, bad NCAA. $500 fine? Loss of 1 study hall session per week? "Orange Pride" program cut back to only allow for 3-somes (BUT NO MORE 4-somes!!!!)? Or will the NCAA rule that because all student athletes had access to the "Orange Pride" program, schoolwork being done by tutors, and all the drugs they can smoke/shoot/snort, that it was not discriminating against the Field Hockey team?

I can't wait to find out.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...0794/report-ncaa-investigating-oklahoma-state

Are you Dooley McStitch?

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I think losing 1 practice a week is a pretty big deal actually.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think losing 1 practice a week is a pretty big deal actually.

Sure, but not in comparison with our postseason ban. The APR is a far more ridiculous measure in basketball than it is in football (meaning there are way more early departures in basketball). If you get 1 point for staying in school and 1 point for being academically eligible, divide by total possible, then multiply by 1000, then it's much easier to achieve the minimum APR score in football than in basketball.

Look, I think the APR is just as ridiculous as the next guy. But that postseason ban that was retroactively applied against UCONN crippled our school and cemented our AAC fate for the time-being. And that's in the sport where 1 or 2 bad apples (or early departures) can have a very significant impact against a school's APR score. There's no excuse to fall below the APR in football, given the amount of scholarships on a roster.

So yes, a 1 practice per week penalty is significant in hurting a football team. But postseason bans carry more weight...especially if the roster is gutted with transfers and recruits pass on a school, like UCONN faced, as a result. If the NCAA is going to use the same minimum scores for football and basketball, then it also needs to use the same penalties. And as we all know, that penalty is a postseason ban.

Reaction Score
Uh-oh, looks like Sam Houston State is about to get the ban hammer...
Maybe, but I'm worried that Tulsa will get slammed and ESPN will claim that it proves the AAC is undeserving of being considered a major conference.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Don't worry guys Brett McMurphy just tweeted and said the NCAA has lifted its ban on practices for Oklahoma State so they're all good.

Reaction Score
No APR penalty for Oklahoma State because, get this, players from the 90s were taken into consideration. Yup.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-state-no-longer-on-apr-restrictions-for-2014

And yet UConn basketball tried to do the same thing and was flat out rejected, labeled a pariah, and banned from the NCAA tournament (not to mention hurting realignment prospects). Is there any doubt left that while UConn shares the blame for poor performance overall, the NCAA clearly was after UConn because Mark Emmert wanted to 1) get UConn back for placing the financial mess that was UConn 2000 on his doorstep, 2) a vendetta against Coach Calhoun for winning the 2011 championship, 3) his ego demanded that another marquee program be taken down much like Penn State (not condoning what Penn St did; but, technically, what happened at Penn St was outside of the NCAA mandates, or 4) all of the above.

Reaction Score
Did we have any former players come back to school for hoops that could have counted? Unreal.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm being semi-serious here: does UCONN have any legal leg to stand on here against the NCAA? I mean, I am pretty darn sure that this same application of scores applied from the 90s wasn't even considered for our postseason ban (or during our many attempted appeals). As Mr Conehead alluded to, the postseason ban didn't do UCONN any CR favors and we now stand to make at least $20M/yr less than our regional competition thanks, in part, to the APR ban.

Whatever crimes and sins UCONN has committed in its existence, they have more than paid for (think Andy Dufresne). A postseason ban for our iconic program over an arbitrary measurement such as the APR wasn't enough. But now we find out APR can be adjusted back to over 20 years ago to ensure a minimum score is met to save program from a tiny penalty of 1 practice per week.

I'd be interested to find out just how much money UCONN lost directly and indirectly thanks to the APR ban. Then I would be interested in punching Mark Emmert square in the face.

Reaction Score
I'm being semi-serious here: does UCONN have any legal leg to stand on here against the NCAA? I mean, I am pretty darn sure that this same application of scores applied from the 90s wasn't even considered for our postseason ban (or during our many attempted appeals). As Mr Conehead alluded to, the postseason ban didn't do UCONN any CR favors and we now stand to make at least $20M/yr less than our regional competition thanks, in part, to the APR ban.

Whatever crimes and sins UCONN has committed in its existence, they have more than paid for (think Andy Dufresne). A postseason ban for our iconic program over an arbitrary measurement such as the APR wasn't enough. But now we find out APR can be adjusted back to over 20 years ago to ensure a minimum score is met to save program from a tiny penalty of 1 practice per week.

I'd be interested to find out just how much money UCONN lost directly and indirectly thanks to the APR ban. Then I would be interested in punching Mark Emmert square in the face.
How about punching him in the jewels, isn't that where he punched the Huskies MBB. Its only fair, what a cheap shot artist. Payback for f$cking up and getting run out of town. It would be interesting to see if there is a legal leg to stand on. What a scum sucker he is.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma State football: The old Cowboy who saved OSU from an NCAA sanction
"With OSU football on the verge of losing two hours of practice time a week due to inadequate academic progress, someone in the athletic department discovered a 1990s-era walk-on who unknowingly redeemed the Cowboys by keeping a promise."

http://newsok.com/article/5117292

Dooley

Reaction Score
This p1sses me off each and every time I see it.

Reaction Score
Oklahoma State football: The old Cowboy who saved OSU from an NCAA sanction
"With OSU football on the verge of losing two hours of practice time a week due to inadequate academic progress, someone in the athletic department discovered a 1990s-era walk-on who unknowingly redeemed the Cowboys by keeping a promise."

http://newsok.com/article/5117292

It's absurd that link doesn't take you to the Onion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom