Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cue Herm Edwards.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ckeyes-cardale-jones-tweets-classes-pointless

Ohio State third-string quarterback Cardale Jones made his feelings about attending classes clear Friday on Twitter.
"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS," he wrote.

"we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS," he wrote."

Does Ohio State have an English Department? The young man should be made aware that 3rd string QB's don't get invited to the combine. I truly hope he develops a back-up plan. I hate to see kids waste such magnificent opportunities.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
maybe he should just give up that free education and give it to someone who actually wants to learn. christ. such a sense of entitlement.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Part of me wants to rip on this kid (including the abuse of the English language), but another part of me wants to defend what he's saying. In a lot of ways, I'm torn on the subject, and here's why:

If a student is extremely talented in high school at a particular subject, he may qualify for a full scholarship to pursue that subject matter at a university of his or her choice. The idea is that this student will excel in this subject matter, go on to become a high-performing professional in the field of choice, and reflect well on the university. This is true in a vast majority of majors and fields. Why is it not true of the athletic fields? I read chemistry books. This kid lifted weights. I studied math. This kid did cardio. At the end of the day, we are both trying to make a living in our chosen fields, and there is no guarantee that either of us will be successful.

From my perspective, if the student can display the minimum educational requirements expected of that university (which this kid may not have "achieved" yet), then I can't argue with the logic...

Reaction Score
Kid makes me want to vomit. Many athletes do both sports and academics really well. Give him two years in the infantry and see if he holds to his pathetic opinion. My dad managed a full D1 football ride with Wallace Wade and Bill Murray and academics just fine. I managed D1 baseball and a double major (I wasn't very good but I did get a 1/8 athletic scholarship) and out in 4 years with decent GPA and a diploma. Geez.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...ckeyes-cardale-jones-tweets-classes-pointless

Ohio State third-string quarterback Cardale Jones made his feelings about attending classes clear Friday on Twitter.
"Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL classes are POINTLESS," he wrote.
Interesting coming from a THIRD stringer. One could make a pretty convincing argument that he isn't really playing football to begin with.

Reaction Score
Part of me wants to rip on this kid (including the abuse of the English language), but another part of me wants to defend what he's saying. In a lot of ways, I'm torn on the subject, and here's why:

If a student is extremely talented in high school at a particular subject, he may qualify for a full scholarship to pursue that subject matter at a university of his or her choice. The idea is that this student will excel in this subject matter, go on to become a high-performing professional in the field of choice, and reflect well on the university. This is true in a vast majority of majors and fields. Why is it not true of the athletic fields? I read chemistry books. This kid lifted weights. I studied math. This kid did cardio. At the end of the day, we are both trying to make a living in our chosen fields, and there is no guarantee that either of us will be successful.

From my perspective, if the student can display the minimum educational requirements expected of that university (which this kid may not have "achieved" yet), then I can't argue with the logic...
To me, the critical distinction is that the other students you reference are "majoring" in something that is in-line with the school's primary purpose-education. For a D-1 athlete who wants to "major" in football, that is something that is a PART of the University, but not it's primary purpose.
TONS of people pursue academics AND hold down time-consuming jobs. Any football player that complains about doing both is a P#y. It isn't easy, but lots of people do it every year.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
To me, the critical distinction is that the other students you reference are "majoring" in something that is in-line with the school's primary purpose-education. For a D-1 athlete who wants to "major" in football, that is something that is a PART of the University, but not it's primary purpose.

I agree with this point, actually. But let's be honest about the following thing; if I had a 700 SAT score, I don't get into UConn (or other non-Ivy institution). If I had a 700 SAT but I can run a 4.4 forty or I can reverse-dunk, I have a chance of getting in. Schools may say their primary purpose is education (and for the most part, they are correct), but they open themselves up for criticism when they allow for these types of "exceptions." Essentially, most schools say, "We make education our number 1 priority....except for when it gets in the way of our real number 1 priority, which is money."

Now, I am speaking in hyperbole of course, because we recently had an example where UConn said "no" to Bryce McNeal because he couldn't make a 2.7 GPA for acceptance into a business grad school program...

...the requirement for everyone else to get into that program? 3.0. Hmm...

Reaction Score
This looks like one of the players that ND wouldn't have accepted if Meyer took the job.

Reaction Score
I agree with this point, actually. But let's be honest about the following thing; if I had a 700 SAT score, I don't get into UConn (or other non-Ivy institution). If I had a 700 SAT but I can run a 4.4 forty or I can reverse-dunk, I have a chance of getting in. Schools may say their primary purpose is education (and for the most part, they are correct), but they open themselves up for criticism when they allow for these types of "exceptions." Essentially, most schools say, "We make education our number 1 priority....except for when it gets in the way of our real number 1 priority, which is money."

Now, I am speaking in hyperbole of course, because we recently had an example where UConn said "no" to Bryce McNeal because he couldn't make a 2.7 GPA for acceptance into a business grad school program...

...the requirement for everyone else to get into that program? 3.0. Hmm...
Good point. And I don't really have a problem with it, as long as exceptions made are "within reason." Therein lies the proverbial slippery slope, of course. If a school thinks a kickass tuba player with slightly lower grades can boost their band to the next level, go crazy. Every area has its "4.4" standard that helps open that door to admission.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Good point. And I don't really have a problem with it, as long as exceptions made are "within reason." Therein lies the proverbial slippery slope, of course. If a school thinks a kickass tuba player with slightly lower grades can boost their band to the next level, go crazy. Every area has its "4.4" standard that helps open that door to admission.

True. But it probably never happens for that tuba player, because very few people run to the store to buy the "tuba jersey"... :(

Reaction Score
unfortunately nothing he wrote was incorrect. I'm sure meyer isn't pleased he wrote it but how many "student" athletes share this opinion? I'd bet alot...hell my first two years i thought i was at uconn to drink and classes just got in the way of that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom