OT: New Orleans Suggestions, Anyone? | The Boneyard

OT: New Orleans Suggestions, Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Off to NOLA midweek for about 5 days (first time). Having trouble getting reservations at some of the "grander' establishements, probably because there is a MD convention in town. We have a res at Broussard's, can't get any response on phone or on line from Commander's. Can I tap the expertise of the Yard for some good ideas for eats (or music...). Thank you!!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Been there 3 times - vacation in 1988, overnight at my wife's sister's house during a train trip about 4 years ago, and 2 years ago for sister's 60th. Going again next week for a family wedding.

We ate at Arnaud's the last time we were there, it was recommended by my wife's sister and brother-in- law. He is old NOLA family. When we visited them briefly on our train trip, they had taken us to Remoulade - which is a casual restaurant owned by Arnaud's (walk in and I suspect take out, although we ate there). Next week we have reservations at Antoine's, which is a Creole restaurant. It has mixed reviews, but I am pretty sure we ate there back in 1988 and enjoyed it.

For Sunday brunch last time we ate at the Court of Two Sisters (buffet) and will probably do so again. The other day that we were there we just walked in a non-fancy restaurant for a positively wonderful breakfast.

Although we haven't really done the music scene, we do have tickets for the show at Preservation Hall. Because (both this and last visit) we don't precisely know what commitments we will have, we find it difficult to make too many plans.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
It's hard to go wrong at any of the renowned restaurants: Commander's, Arnaud's, Antoine's. Many visitors and a lot of the locals consider Galatoire's the best restaurant in the Quarter. Their pompano is to die for.

You can get great meals at many of the lesser known places. I've always liked Mr. B's Bistro (owned by Brennan family) and even Ralph & Kacoo's.

If you are into oysters Felix's and the Acme (across the street) are the best oyster bars. If you want to try a mess of crawfish, Acme is the place.

For lunch any visitor to N.O. would be remiss in not trying an Oyster Po'Boy. Good ones available all over the city. Can't go wrong at Felix's. (Get it 'dressed'. The locals pronounce that shellfish 'Erster'.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits
Top Bottom