OT: Need WBB board's opinion..... | The Boneyard

OT: Need WBB board's opinion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I lurk here everyday but don't post often because Connecticut WBB has the most knowledgeable, loyal and passionate fans in the game. I'm afraid to embarrass myself!

Anyway, my niece turned 15 today. Yesterday, she received her 1st recruiting letter from a D1, well respected, WBB program. She was so excited telling me over the phone and I was so proud of her that we both started tearing up.

Anyway, when I read the letter I noticed it was dated May 5th, 2013! It included a very nice hand written note from the Head Coach and my niece wanted to frame it. Now she's a little bummed by the error despite being extremely humbled by the letter itself.

My question is, do I email one of the assistant coaches (everyone included their email address) as a good Uncle and ask if they could send a corrected letter? OR, would my niece kill me and I make her look silly to the staff?

Fire away!

JS

Reaction Score
I wouldn't get directly involved if I were you. If you do, your niece could and should kill you.

If I were her I wouldn't contact them about the typo either. Asking that a handwritten note be reproduced would be a bit much.

She could discretely edit the date if she wants, go ahead and frame it if she wants, but if she's as good as your post implies it's the first of a roomful of letters that end up in shoe boxes.

Besides, as they say, it's the thought that counts. She can take pride in that, and you in her.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Just to be clear, my niece has never once ever mentioned asking for a corrected letter, she can't stop smiling. That's all me as an overbearing Uncle.

Thanks for the response, JS. I knew the answer but figured I'd throw it out to the experts.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Actually, the error can make it more enjoyable, in retrospect. I have always treasured a memorial wooden-based clock that was given to me as a going away present when I retired from a 30-1/2-year teaching job. Whoever did the engraving missed my beginning date by just exactly 30 years. Sort of took it out of the ordinary, as it were. I think that when she looks back on it, the error will add to her enjoyment of the letter, as the school's error has added to my enjoyment of my clock. Incidentally, hearty congratulations to your niece! Keep us posted, especially if she comes to UConn!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree - don't do anything!
And agree with elzorrogris - the error is always more valuable! Like when they print the postage stamp with the plane upside down!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
That's great news for your niece – super congratulations.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
It seems to me that she was cheated out of the really good stuff like clocks and stamps with upside down planes on them. I'd forget about the date and hammer them until they give her a clock and a stamp with an upside down plane!!!! But be sure to tell them what you want in code or maybe use that golden oldie:: the lemon juice ink trick... that way the NCAA won't get their unmentionables in a twist.

FL, see... embarassing youself isn't so hard to live with on this board... it's done many times a day around here by both the oldtimers and the newbies.... join us and keep us up on your niece's adventure.

P.S. you're a far better lurker than I considering you have made over a 1000 posts... I'm still working on a few hundred.... But I'll get there cuz I'm persistent.

Your ol' Pal Boo

JS

Reaction Score
There are several possible explanations for the date. The letter may come from a school that:

1. is living in the past (but then wouldn't the date be even earlier, like 2008?);

2. didn't trust the U.S. postal service to deliver promptly, so wrote and mailed the letter a year ago (their mistrust well-founded);

3. discontinued basketball (unmailed envelopes found in a landfill and dropped in a mailbox);

4. believes letter vision translates to court vision; this is a test (better contact them after all);

5. is a little slow to catch on to new things (possibly related to reason #1; most people make the prior year mistake only in January).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Should you ask for a new note? Oh... please..no!

Congrats to you and your niece! That's very exciting news. Let us know how things are going for her from time to time.

Reaction Score
I would write back and tell them no thanks. She would rather go to a more literate program like UCONN.:D

Reaction Score
UPS is slow, why do think they call it snail mail, it took a year to arrive

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Looks like maybe you lost your S, John.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
She could discretely edit the date if she wants,

ahem.

discreetly.