OT: NCAA Says Girls High School Basketball Participation Is Down | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Says Girls High School Basketball Participation Is Down

Reaction Score
I don't see a shortage of talent at the varsity level yet but fewer and fewer high school teams in the NY/NJ area have enough participants to field a freshman basketball team.............

Raoul‏@Raoul_000
Raoul Retweeted NCAA Research

Nationwide, from 2011-12 to 2015-16, participation in girls HS basketball fell 1.5%; more girls now playing volleyball (up 4.2%) than hoops.

Substantial shifts in high school participation are occurring within a number of sports. (Data from @nfhs_org)

C07u8QUXgAAGtKr.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'd like to see somewhere a breakdown demographically how this is affecting involvement among the races.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting that Volleyball and Basketball just reversed positions in total participation. I am surprised track and field is #1.

Reaction Score
I've been observing this issue first hand as I have two girls in high school.........the three sports attracting girls here seem to be lacrosse, volleyball and track which seems to be in line with those findings............soccer, basketball and field hockey (never got that sport) are still pretty strong with softball maybe taking a small step back......

Reaction Score
I'm not a statistician, but its impossible to draw a conclusion from only two data points. These stats are 4 years apart. As a starter, it would be important to see what the numbers are in the years in between plus the total population of young women eligible to participate? In cases like rowing, that dropped so dramatically, was there a special situation that had the participation so high in 2011? My point is that I think you need a lot more data to draw any conclusion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom