OT - My Brother In Law Has Cerebral Palsy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - My Brother In Law Has Cerebral Palsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My brother in law has Cerebral Palsy and has been in a wheel chair and needed extra help and care his entire life. He was never expected to leave the hospital as an infant, he's now 54 and needs help to do everyday life things like shower, eat, etc.

He participates in a program called Ability First. They have programs and activities for their clients that focus on achieving or doing things that seem improbable or inaccessible. Even though my brother in law has never walked, because of Ability First he has snow skied, gone camping and experienced many other common activities for you and I that would never be available to him.

My wife and I are doing a charity walk, well 'Stroll and Roll', for him tomorrow (maybe today for some of you just reading this). I would really appreciate anything you are willing to donate.

It's important to know, that anything you donate goes 100% to his center. Nothing is taken for administration or overhead. It's all for new equipment, supplies or activities. It's also 100% tax deductible.

If you would be willing to support us on quest to raise money for his center, please click this link: Long Beach Center: Jim Levesque - AbilityFirst Stroll & Roll 2016

I (we - my tao wife) really appreciate anything you can do.

My prayers are with him and your family.

Since your post - I have spent quite a bit of time looking into CP... especially since it is brain related and I have so much interest in that. (cerebral). Again, I thought this was some mystical type of disease and I have been learning - not only is it not mystical - it is quite similar to stroke. And based upon what I have learned can be significant reduced if the pregnancy is managed properly. We knew so little years ago... so it was much more challenging to identify challenges. Essentially... CP can basically be avoided with proper understanding. We know so much about the brain (today) as compared to 25 years ago.

CP is...
brain damage (infarction) at an early age (from prenatal to toddlerhood) - that effects motor control. The following (one or more) are injured at a younger age:

-motor cortex
-basal ganglia
-cerebellum

Due to: lack of oxygen, mutated development (something passed on) or infection

Infection (at least in stroke patients) is usually from septicemia. This is an infection in the heart and it forms a vegetation usually on the left ventricle wall. A piece breaks off and the body begins to clot around (not recognizing it) and up the aorta it goes. Obviously, this is no good. I think this may be an infection that is being referred to. Fetus development should be critically high on young couples' minds.

I will donate to help.

---------------------------------------------------------

Taken from a medical site: A stroke is a "brain attack". It can happen to anyone at any time. It occurs when blood flow to an area of brain is cut off. When this happens, brain cells are deprived of oxygen and begin to die. When brain cells die during a stroke, abilities controlled by that area of the brain such as memory and muscle control are lost.

How a person is affected by their stroke depends on where the stroke occurs in the brain and how much the brain is damaged. For example, someone who had a small stroke may only have minor problems such as temporary weakness of an arm or leg. People who have larger strokes may be permanently paralyzed on one side of their body or lose their ability to speak. Some people recover completely from strokes, but more than 2/3 of survivors will have some type of disability.

If interested, this is decent:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well, that was easy, we'll only kinda. Almost missed it with an OT Subject line that I ignored until there was another OT that said, "Hey, it's time to pitch in."

Thanks for being a loving and supportive brother-in-law, and thanks for your efforts to keep us enjoying this board "in moderation."

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK - Who just made the very cute and relevant 19.99 donation?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
$77.74 was beyond my means as I gear up for many contributions during New Haven's Great Give in a couple weeks,so I actually chose the number for a less princely reason.
It's a very cool number and if 10 people who didn't think they could give enough gave $19.99, that would be almost $200 and could be something like a lift to get handicapped people into a pool where they could exercise limbs they can't exercise on dry land. Every bit counts and beside the cool aspect of 19.99 which I assumed was a Prince tribute, when enough people do that, it makes a huge difference. Every dollar matters.

We've also seen $53.41 for the Butler score which was awesome. I haven't seen $60.54 for the 2014 championship yet - that would be cool. And I don't think we've seen $82.73 for the 2004, but even though it's less, I think $77.74 is generally better.

Bottom line - we really appreciate any donation and have been overwhelmed by what the Boneyard has done.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not a problem - he does have Alzheimer's so it's not all wonderful, but he's still kicking.

But thanks for bumping the thread - I need $25 to past the next person and $50 to get past the next one. I hope the Boneyard can get me to 7th (or better).

Did we pass #7?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's a very cool number and if 10 people who didn't think they could give enough gave $19.99, that would be almost $200 and could be something like a lift to get handicapped people into a pool where they could exercise limbs they can't exercise on dry land. Every bit counts and beside the cool aspect of 19.99 which I assumed was a Prince tribute, when enough people do that, it makes a huge difference. Every dollar matters.

We've also seen $53.41 for the Butler score which was awesome. I haven't seen $60.54 for the 2014 championship yet - that would be cool. And I don't think we've seen $82.73 for the 2004, but even though it's less, I think $77.74 is generally better.

I just assumed 19.99 was the year of the first Ship. The alternative to 77-74.

People can still get in there with 20.04 20.11 and 20.14.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

He called it a Princely sum so I assume Prince but 1999 works too - It seems a great amount for anyone who hasn't contributed! Or the others!
Hey if someone wants to donate $1999, I'd be good with that!

Reaction Score
You're a good man and your brother is one hell of a fighter, this is what makes the boneyard great.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK here's the deal - We are at 1655. We usually donate about 400 to 500. If we can get this to $2000, we will drop $750. If we get over 2,100 we'll give $1,000. Help me spend some money!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Completely correct on the first paragraph, and I'd have posted the second paragraph if you hadn't.

What I liked most about the donor page was that $200 was the original goal, and now the aim is for more than 10 times that.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What I liked most about the donor page was that $200 was the original goal, and now the aim is for more than 10 times that.
The $200 is the default they setup for people who are walking. My wife and her father have been the people who raise money and it all goes into the Art pool. I had no idea what to expect so when I saw this amazing Boneyard effort getting close to $2,000 (I never expected anything like that), I decided to drop some extra money if the Boneyard could hit a $2000 goal. We're now up to about $1,825. Next year the name will be The Boneyard instead of my name because you guys are the bomb! Seriously, this has so surpassed my expectations and I'm so happy that my brother in laws center will bet able to get more supplies, better equipment or do some awesome field trip because of the Boneyard. It's almost impossible to understand how amazing it is what you all are doing for people who have been dealt a really crappy hand in life.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A little late to the party (sorry about that) but I just got in.
Don't be sorry - you got in with plenty enough time and positively affected a bunch of people. We totally appreciate you donation.

Brodog16

Alzheimer's sucks
Reaction Score
Better late than never! Donated 25.00 for the number of championships GA and KO will have by my 65Th birthday! Bless your brother Jleves!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom