OT - My Brother In Law Has Cerebral Palsy | The Boneyard

OT - My Brother In Law Has Cerebral Palsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My brother in law has Cerebral Palsy and has been in a wheel chair and needed extra help and care his entire life. He was never expected to leave the hospital as an infant, he's now 54 and needs help to do everyday life things like shower, eat, etc.

He participates in a program called Ability First. They have programs and activities for their clients that focus on achieving or doing things that seem improbable or inaccessible. Even though my brother in law has never walked, because of Ability First he has snow skied, gone camping and experienced many other common activities for you and I that would never be available to him.

My wife and I are doing a charity walk, well 'Stroll and Roll', for him tomorrow (maybe today for some of you just reading this). I would really appreciate anything you are willing to donate.

It's important to know, that anything you donate goes 100% to his center. Nothing is taken for administration or overhead. It's all for new equipment, supplies or activities. It's also 100% tax deductible.

If you would be willing to support us on quest to raise money for his center, please click this link: Long Beach Center: Jim Levesque - AbilityFirst Stroll & Roll 2016

I (we - my tao wife) really appreciate anything you can do.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Just about ready to start
Out
20160423_073633.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Great cause. Cerebral Palsy stinks. Terrific these causes exist to maximize peoples quality of life. Really happy to help your brother in law jleves and tao wife.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
As much as the boneyard has personalities and club fights in threads, you guys are also amazingly generous. We are overwhelmed with the support. Here is Art with his medal and the Laker Girls after completing the Stroll and Roll.
20160423_091044.jpg

Reaction Score
When I was younger I lived with a woman (literally the girl next door) and she had twin boys that were around 7 years old. The both had CP but were the most lovable kids I ever knew. They had such an affect on me with the unconditional love they gave me.

I am more than happy to support the cause and I encourage everyone to jump in and do whatever they can. :)

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Thank you so much for sharing this. This is an awesome purpose and a great cause. I've reached out to them about seeing if there is a similar organization locally for me.

Just knowing organizations like this exist has made my day. Thanks again for the heads up!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm well beyond being surprised at the generosity of the people here on the Boneyard.

I've seen it displayed way too many times for that.

Over the years, we're easily over $100,000 between our efforts for GOALS, Inc., in the early days, the heart pump and cancer walk a few years ago, some efforts on the women's board and other quick-hitters like jleves request.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
My brother in law has Cerebral Palsy and has been in a wheel chair and needed extra help and care his entire life.

If you would be willing to support us on quest to raise money for his center, please click this link: Long Beach Center: Jim Levesque - AbilityFirst Stroll & Roll 2016

I don't donate to these sorts of things very often--mainly because I'm cheap, and when I do it's for strange reasons. I just donated late because:

1. I met and liked jleves and his dad (RIP)
2. The Laker Girls are hot...
3. ...and Art looks quite happy in the pic
4. @formerlurker always makes me feel guilty as hell because he donates to EVERYTHING
5. I've got a cousin with Downs and understand how hard things can be.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't donate to these sorts of things very often--mainly because I'm cheap, and when I do it's for strange reasons. I just donated late because:

1. I met and liked jleves and his dad (RIP)

I think jleves Sr. will be shocked to learn that he's no longer among the living...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think jleves Sr. will be shocked to learn that he's no longer among the living...

Really? I had it in my head he passed away. Dang, sorry @jleves. Given his condition, it reads like kind of dick thing to say.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Sorry I was late to this ... I hope my donation still counts. My wife's cousin has CP ... great kid, about to get his bachelors degree.

Hope you, Jim and the family had a great weekend.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Sorry I was late to this ... I hope my donation still counts. My wife's cousin has CP ... great kid, about to get his bachelors degree.

Hope you, Jim and the family had a great weekend.
Not too late - Thanks!!!

The Boneyard seriously rocks!

It is seriously amazing. I think I'll stick around.

Reaction Score
My brother in law has Cerebral Palsy and has been in a wheel chair and needed extra help and care his entire life. He was never expected to leave the hospital as an infant, he's now 54 and needs help to do everyday life things like shower, eat, etc.

He participates in a program called Ability First. They have programs and activities for their clients that focus on achieving or doing things that seem improbable or inaccessible. Even though my brother in law has never walked, because of Ability First he has snow skied, gone camping and experienced many other common activities for you and I that would never be available to him.

My wife and I are doing a charity walk, well 'Stroll and Roll', for him tomorrow (maybe today for some of you just reading this). I would really appreciate anything you are willing to donate.

It's important to know, that anything you donate goes 100% to his center. Nothing is taken for administration or overhead. It's all for new equipment, supplies or activities. It's also 100% tax deductible.

I (we - my tao wife) really appreciate anything you can do.

My prayers are with him and your family.

Since your post - I have spent quite a bit of time looking into CP... especially since it is brain related and I have so much interest in that. (cerebral). Again, I thought this was some mystical type of disease and I have been learning - not only is it not mystical - it is quite similar to stroke. And based upon what I have learned can be significant reduced if the pregnancy is managed properly. We knew so little years ago... so it was much more challenging to identify challenges. Essentially... CP can basically be avoided with proper understanding. We know so much about the brain (today) as compared to 25 years ago.

CP is...
brain damage (infarction) at an early age (from prenatal to toddlerhood) - that effects motor control. The following (one or more) are injured at a younger age:

-motor cortex
-basal ganglia
-cerebellum

Due to: lack of oxygen, mutated development (something passed on) or infection

Infection (at least in stroke patients) is usually from septicemia. This is an infection in the heart and it forms a vegetation usually on the left ventricle wall. A piece breaks off and the body begins to clot around (not recognizing it) and up the aorta it goes. Obviously, this is no good. I think this may be an infection that is being referred to. Fetus development should be critically high on young couples' minds.

I will donate to help.

---------------------------------------------------------

Taken from a medical site: A stroke is a "brain attack". It can happen to anyone at any time. It occurs when blood flow to an area of brain is cut off. When this happens, brain cells are deprived of oxygen and begin to die. When brain cells die during a stroke, abilities controlled by that area of the brain such as memory and muscle control are lost.

How a person is affected by their stroke depends on where the stroke occurs in the brain and how much the brain is damaged. For example, someone who had a small stroke may only have minor problems such as temporary weakness of an arm or leg. People who have larger strokes may be permanently paralyzed on one side of their body or lose their ability to speak. Some people recover completely from strokes, but more than 2/3 of survivors will have some type of disability.

If interested, this is decent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA