OT: Minnesota Gophers players boycott football; bowl game participation in jeopardy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Minnesota Gophers players boycott football; bowl game participation in jeopardy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now that the players have shown they don't have balls, the school should do the right thing (ha) and withdraw from the game

Reaction Score
To quote Emily Litella: "Never mind."

It's amazing what can be accomplished by a document placed in the public record.

Spot on: Gophers coach Tracy Claeys told players 'great chance' he could lose his job over boycott

>>The university's Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action report came into wide public view Friday afternoon when it was first obtained and published by KSTP-TV. The EOAA report, the result of the school's federally mandated investigation of the alleged sexual assault, described in deep detail how a female student and more than 10 men were involved in an incident in the early morning of Sept. 2, hours after the Gophers' first game of the season.

Sources said the players absorbing the detailed report for the first time was a main factor in ending the boycott. "Once they read the report," one source said, the "narrative" of the boycott changed.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's an impossible spot at this point.

In the smartphone age if I were in college I would obtain video evidence of consent.

The issue becomes they now say if someone is drinking they can't consent.

Rapists need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law - but the standard can't be regret.

Reaction Score
The video that was obtained, says otherwise. At the time, she was more than happy to accomidate the four. Hence the legal investigation was dropped.

They had 2 to 4 seconds of video in one clip, 90 seconds of video in the other.

The whole thing went on over many, many hours.

Reaction Score
It's an impossible spot at this point.

In the smartphone age if I were in college I would obtain video evidence of consent.

The issue becomes they now say if someone is drinking they can't consent.

Rapists need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law - but the standard can't be regret.

Where are you getting regret? Being forcibly held down after saying you don't want sex doesn't sound like regret to me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Where are you getting regret? Being forcibly held down after saying you don't want sex doesn't sound like regret to me.

I wasn't talking about this case obviously.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The tweet was a spectacularly bad idea.

Going to the media and bragging that taking that stand was putting his job at risk was even worse.

When you have a job that pays you millions over the course of several years, do not do anything that stupid to jeopardize it.

Reaction Score
Any players graduating that might have a year left? :) You can bet some will be jumping ship.

Reaction Score

Claeys was Kill’s longtime defensive coordinator and led the Gophers on a four-game Big Ten winning streak in 2013 as acting coach, while Kill recovered from epileptic seizures. Claeys took over as acting coach again on Oct. 28, 2015, when Kill stepped down, and two weeks later, then-interim AD Beth Goetz made Claeys the new head coach with a three-year, $4.5 million contract.

But the deal included a relatively small buyout -- $250,000 per remaining season, which allowed the University to hire a new athletic director who could then evaluate Claeys before deciding on his future. Coyle came aboard June 1.

The Gophers went 5-4 in the Big Ten this season, blowing second half leads in each of their four losses. Their losses to Penn State, Iowa and Nebraska were all one-possession games.

After watching the Gophers blow a 17-7 halftime lead at Wisconsin in an eventual 31-17 loss, Coyle waited two days before publicly voicing support for Claeys. Coyle released a statement that said: “Our football program has now won eight games in the regular season three times in four seasons. We expect that our program will continue to grow and I am committed to putting us in a position to do so.

“This includes working with Coach Claeys to evaluate where we need to improve and what each of us can do to ensure we meet our expectations.”

Sources told the Star Tribune that Coyle had also indicated to Claeys that he and his assistant coaches would be receiving contract extension offers, but extension talks never got off the ground in December, even before the suspensions were announced.

Coyle’s statement Tuesday continued: “I determined that the football program must move in a new direction to address challenges in recruiting, ticket sales and the culture of the program. We need strong leadership to take Gopher football to the next level and address these challenges. This decision is about the future of Minnesota football. ... Moving forward, we need a leader who sets high expectations athletically, academically, and socially.”

Coyle’s statement indicates all assistants and staff besides assistant to the head coach Dan O’Brien and linebackers coach Mike Sherels are gone. Most of the assistant coaches arrived with Kill before the 2011 season.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The tweet was a spectacularly bad idea.

Going to the media and bragging that taking that stand was putting his job at risk was even worse.

When you have a job that pays you millions over the course of several years, do not do anything that stupid to jeopardize it.

"Ooooh! THATS where I went wrong!"- Bob Diaco

Reaction Score
upload_2017-1-3_19-4-50.jpeg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Player boycott was centered around demands for university officials to violate laws and policies. Now same players want to transfer because they don't trust administration.

Pass on any of them.

Reaction Score
There are suddenly some unemployed coaches from a 9 win B1G team available. Anyone know if Goetz or Benedict were there at the same time as those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom