OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm fairly sure Coppola played high school hockey for a Division II-reach of an East Haven program. So, it was geographically close yet not remotely on par with Hamden let alone even West Haven now and especially back when he played. If not mistaken, he may have played for a club or possibly Division 3 or maybe 2 level Quinnipiac College team. Again, a big step down from the current day and Quinnipiac's ECAC program.
All I know is he mentions it on the air every chance he gets. Since I only watch 61 for the sweater meat, I learned to tune him out.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I know that the softball and soccer teams are great. It was that I didn't think UConn had a crew team...
Off topic, but has anyone noticed that women's soccer has really slipped the last few years? May be time for new coaching blood.

Reaction Score
And of course, Malloy wants all home games at the XL Center.

Don't blame me... I voted for Rick Scott (Florida's Governor). somebody voted for the !!!

Reaction Score
BTW, I was there yesterday at the Frozen Four. I was rooting for Minnesota and Union....Darn...I lost both times. Talking to a few BCU hockey fans and they said UConn would be good in HE. Some think that BCU might schedule a game with UConn in FB soon.

Reaction Score
BTW, I was there yesterday at the Frozen Four. I was rooting for Minnesota and Union....Darn...I lost both times. Talking to a few BCU hockey fans and they said UConn would be good in HE. Some think that BCU might schedule a game with UConn in FB soon.
You must've found the minority of BC hockey fans who have logic and sanity. Save yourself the time and money tomorrow night, Ferris has no shot. No shot. BC is just that dam good, especially playing against teams who've never seen them in person. I watched the game on TV and correctly predicted three goals 30 seconds before they happened when Minnesota fell for their little tricks. Ridiculous squad they've got there. I just threw up in my mouth.

Reaction Score
You must've found the minority of BC hockey fans who have logic and sanity. Save yourself the time and money tomorrow night, Ferris has no shot. No shot. BC is just that dam good, especially playing against teams who've never seen them in person. I watched the game on TV and correctly predicted three goals 30 seconds before they happened when Minnesota fell for their little tricks. Ridiculous squad they've got there. I just threw up in my mouth.

My boys wanted to go, so we got the tickets. It was sold out. Channelside (where the Tampa Bay Times Forum is) was busy last night. We live about a mile from it, so we ride our bikes.

Reaction Score
This hockey thread got some memories going. Was a season's ticket holder to the Whalers with a couple of other guys. Travelers provided an employee discount since this was at the start when several of the companies in town had an interest in the team. Was going to Montreal on business and my wife was going with me for the weekend. Whalers were going to be at the old forum for the first game of the season. Called the Whale front office to see if I could get tickets and they said sorry but provided me with the number of the Canadien ticket office. I called and explained my situation to a pleasant guy on the phone who told me that they asked season ticket holders who could not make a game to turn their tickets in for credit so they could resell. Took my name and told me to call the day of the game. When I called he told me two would be waiting for me at will call for face. The Whalers got crushed.

Reaction Score
The Whalers got crushed.
Sadly a common occurrence. College hockey for me was what brought me back to my childhood love of hockey and the Whalers. When they left, I was 10, and was really starting to get into playing the sport a lot, but lost my interest after they left, and I stopped following hockey all together. When I got to BU and went to my first game, just so happened to be against BC, I was hooked from the start, and it rekindled my passion for the sport, and I haven't looked back since. Hopefully, UConn playing some meaningful hockey would do the same for others in CT.

Reaction Score
Sadly a common occurrence. College hockey for me was what brought me back to my childhood love of hockey and the Whalers. When they left, I was 10, and was really starting to get into playing the sport a lot, but lost my interest after they left, and I stopped following hockey all together. When I got to BU and went to my first game, just so happened to be against BC, I was hooked from the start, and it rekindled my passion for the sport, and I haven't looked back since. Hopefully, UConn playing some meaningful hockey would do the same for others in CT.

Hockey can grab you like that. Growing up in the 60's there was not much exposure in central CT. I had gone to see a couple of games as a kid in the old New Haven arena, it was so old that they had chicken wire above the boards to stop pucks, but the atmosphere there was deadly. Then when the Whalers came to Hartford in 75 I went to the first game at the old HCC with three guys from work. There were probably 10-12,000 there most of whom didn't even know the basic rules of the game. Anyway the Whalers won 4-3 on OT and as the saying goes the rest is history. The next day we bought season tickets just inside the blue line 4 rows below the break. Saw a lot of good and bad hockey from those seats. One of the greatest memories was Gordie Howe taking out the Russian goalie with a stiff elbow right after the opening face off of an exhibition game. He got 2 minutes and one of the biggest roars I ever heard at the HCC.

Reaction Score
Hockey can grab you like that. Growing up in the 60's there was not much exposure in central CT. I had gone to see a couple of games as a kid in the old New Haven arena, it was so old that they had chicken wire above the boards to stop pucks, but the atmosphere there was deadly. Then when the Whalers came to Hartford in 75 I went to the first game at the old HCC with three guys from work. There were probably 10-12,000 there most of whom didn't even know the basic rules of the game. Anyway the Whalers won 4-3 on OT and as the saying goes the rest is history. The next day we bought season tickets just inside the blue line 4 rows below the break. Saw a lot of good and bad hockey from those seats. One of the greatest memories was Gordie Howe taking out the Russian goalie with a stiff elbow right after the opening face off of an exhibition game. He got 2 minutes and one of the biggest roars I ever heard at the HCC.
My first exposure to hockey in person was the first season on the New Haven Nighthawks in the, then new, New Haven Colleseum. Aging Willie O'Ree scored the game winner in a 2-1 Nighthawk victory before @ 4500 patrons. The old Channel 18 in Hartofrd used to carry the WSBK-Boston feed of all Bruins games, so I became a Bruin fan in Bobby Orr's rookie year. One more Nighthawk memory was the 'Hawks beating the Russian National team with the great Tretiak in goal. I couldn't thank my dad enough for taking me to that exhibition game.

Reaction Score
This hockey thread got some memories going. Was a season's ticket holder to the Whalers with a couple of other guys. Travelers provided an employee discount since this was at the start when several of the companies in town had an interest in the team. Was going to Montreal on business and my wife was going with me for the weekend. Whalers were going to be at the old forum for the first game of the season. Called the Whale front office to see if I could get tickets and they said sorry but provided me with the number of the Canadien ticket office. I called and explained my situation to a pleasant guy on the phone who told me that they asked season ticket holders who could not make a game to turn their tickets in for credit so they could resell. Took my name and told me to call the day of the game. When I called he told me two would be waiting for me at will call for face. The Whalers got crushed.

I was a season ticket holder for the Whalers (now season tickets for the Lightning), and one night I was there with a huge cowbell and the guy next to me told me that he is discussing BUSINESS with a client and asked me to stop my cowbell or he'll get management involved.

I never stopped ringing my COWBELL (an antique cowbell that made noise) and the guy couldn't do anything about it. :)

Reaction Score

When I was 12, the Whalers MOVED to the new HCC...boy, I'm old!! I used to play hockey at the South Windsor Arena.

Reaction Score
My first exposure to hockey in person was the first season on the New Haven Nighthawks in the, then new, New Haven Colleseum. Aging Willie O'Ree scored the game winner in a 2-1 Nighthawk victory before @ 4500 patrons. The old Channel 18 in Hartofrd used to carry the WSBK-Boston feed of all Bruins games, so I became a Bruin fan in Bobby Orr's rookie year. One more Nighthawk memory was the 'Hawks beating the Russian National team with the great Tretiak in goal. I couldn't thank my dad enough for taking me to that exhibition game.

Willie O'Ree the first Black in the NHL!!

Reaction Score
Boston College won...:(. Oh well, maybe UCONN could be the NATIONAL CHAMPS someday!!! :)

Reaction Score
Boston College won...:(. Oh well, maybe UCONN could be the NATIONAL CHAMPS someday!!! :)
blargh. made me sick, now they're tied with my guys in the banner department. and to boot, that kid Gaudreau who scored that sick goal in the late 3rd very likely would've ended up at BU this season had our guy that quit mid-season to play in Canada instead decided to quit over the offseason last year. sucks. looks like Tampa was a quality host though by all accounts.

Reaction Score
My first game was The Beanpot first round when I was in elementary school. My father's brother had tickets and couldn't go so he game them to us. Two great games whith incredible intensity...BC lost ot Northeastern in OT in th eopener and BU beat Harvard in the 2nd game. Clsoe for 2 periods, but BU pulled away in the 3rd. I have been a fan ever since. I followed UCONN when I was a student. I get to a few UCONN games every year and hope to get to more if they upgrade.

Reaction Score
blargh. made me sick, now they're tied with my guys in the banner department. and to boot, that kid Gaudreau who scored that sick goal in the late 3rd very likely would've ended up at BU this season had our guy that quit mid-season to play in Canada instead decided to quit over the offseason last year. sucks. looks like Tampa was a quality host though by all accounts.

I think the NCAA was impressed with us being host that I think we might get the Frozen Four back. Channelside (where the Tampa Bay Times Forum is located) and YborCity (a historical part of Tampa) had lots of people visiting.

Reaction Score
My first game was The Beanpot first round when I was in elementary school. My father's brother had tickets and couldn't go so he game them to us. Two great games whith incredible intensity...BC lost ot Northeastern in OT in th eopener and BU beat Harvard in the 2nd game. Clsoe for 2 periods, but BU pulled away in the 3rd. I have been a fan ever since. I followed UCONN when I was a student. I get to a few UCONN games every year and hope to get to more if they upgrade.

I would love to see UConn upgrade, then I would love to see UAH go into AH in place of UConn. UAH might be a champion if they have a league. I don't think College Hockey is done...I think in 5 to 10 years you might see NC, NC State, GA State and USF with teams.

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA was impressed with us being host that I think we might get the Frozen Four back. Channelside (where the Tampa Bay Times Forum is located) and YborCity (a historical part of Tampa) had lots of people visiting.
It'll be a few years before it comes back probably, I think the NCAA is a little concerned that it did not sell out. But fan reviews are mostly very positive. They do have a "rotation" for the FF to get it to Boston, Detroit, Minnesota, and Denver, and then throw in some other hotbeds like Pittsburgh/Philly/DC. There's a lot of rumblings that it'll go to Nashville, and a lot of people want a FF in Chicago for obvious reasons.

Boston needs to get its act together and submit something more than a half-assed bid, they've been passed over twice because of the Jacobs' family/city's inability to submit something worthwhile. They think they can write their name in crayon on a piece of paper and get it whenever they want. In reality, if they submit a realistic bid, they will get it since it hasn't been here since 2004, but the success of places like DC, Tampa, etc. means the NCAA isn't going to award it because the name on the paper says Boston. Of course, this pisses off all of us HE fans because we have to travel far for a FF when there's a huge hotbed in our backyard. If UConn does make the move, and the FF comes back here, it would be a really great event for fans to drive up and see, lots and lots of fun, especially if one of the Boston teams is in it.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I doubt they'd go 8K, probably more in the 5 range. ND's new arena is 5. 8 is bigger than what everyone else in HE draws, so it's a bit unrealistic to think UConn would draw those numbers. Only Amherst's rink is above 8, and they only come close to filling it by giving out literally thousands and thousands of free tickets to students to fill half of the arena, and purposely looking the other way in terms of letting them bring alcohol into the games, so the students will continue to show up since they can get drunk at the game. Wish I were joking about that.
Cornell's Lynah is only about 5k and it's jam packed - gottat give students alot of the tickets. Been to a couple of games, sitting in the student section on the glass at the blue line - one of the best venues. Great tradition - no reason we can't get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom