OT: Memorial Day - Monday, May 30 | The Boneyard

OT: Memorial Day - Monday, May 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Memorial Day is a Federal Holiday for the purpose of honoring all who died during military service. It is a day to properly observe or commemorate, not celebrate (like Independence Day).

It began officially in 1868 in the aftermath of the bloody Civil War. Over two million had served in the Union Army and an estimated 260,00 died of all causes (and about 210,000 on the Confederate side).

It was called Decoration Day and a common observance was for townspeople to decorate the graves of fallen soldiers. As time passed, this holiday of solemn remembrance changed, officially and in practice:

It became Memorial Day to be observed on the last Monday in May. As a result, that nice long weekend has come to represent the unofficial launch of summer (to end with Labor Day). The manner in which Memorial Day is observed varies widely from community to community, organization to organization, retailer to retailer, and even family to family. Services, sales, picnics weekend getaways, etc.

Here in Norwalk we will have our One Big Annual Parade. It is, frankly, a celebratory and patriotic event. We compensate by conducting a solemn memorial ceremony a week earlier (honoring all Norwalkers who died in military service, especially our two Medal of Honor recipients). Also, a 4th of July parade would be impractical (no school bands, fewer viewers and participants).

OK, Boneyarders, how will you observe or commemorate Memorial Day?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Why we observe Memorial Day.
normandy.jpg

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Nice OP, Kib. I will privately reflect on the sacrifices made in my own family, and by all others as well. As military history is one of my several hobbies, I will probably watch a military movie or documentary. Sunday's worship service will include and embrace the memorial nature of the day. Monday will be a potluck supper with my much-loved church family.

I retired my old flag yesterday, replacing it with a fine new one. Many of the homes on my street fly the colors year round, as I also do.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I retired my old flag yesterday, replacing it with a fine new one. Many of the homes on my street fly the colors year round, as I also do.

Good for you and your neighbors. I am still learning. I read only recently that the proper way to display the flag on Memorial Day is a two-step procedure:
1. In the morning, raise the flag to full-staff, then slowly lower it to half-staff - to honor the million or so that lost their lives in military service.
2. At noon, raise the flag back to full-staff as a symbolic pledge that they did not die in vain.​
I confess that I had not been aware of this protocol before so we'll give a go on Monday. I guess this procedure is adhered to at the White House, so why not ours?

There is some gratifying news. Media folks finally seem to be persuaded that flags are flown at full-staff or half-staff on land.;)

Reaction Score
KIB : both your notes appreciated here. Many schools give very little or even no attention to the important days in our history.. Would like to see more of our vets go into schools to speak directly to the kids about the days that commemorate our military sacrifices and achievements.

VTCW: your notes and photo as well. (Our family has a paratrooper at one of those crosses .) I remember marching in our stifling Haverford Junior High band uniforms outside Phlly on Decoration Days which were as hot as today.
Memories also of the poppies and the impact of the readings. Have said a prayer for your uncles and their comrades; may their sacrifices be e'er remembered and honored.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, Boneyarders, how will you observe or commemorate Memorial Day?

Not only am I a service veteran, but also a fan of the history of both theaters of WW II. I can watch hours of TV documentary programing featuring the campaigns in Europe and the Pacific. My family and I are commemorating Memorial day weekend here in Chula Vista, CA. Chula Vista is a suburb of San Diego. We're at an RV resort (right on the ocean) about 2 miles north of the US/Mexican border. I'm proudly displaying our colors on my RV's flag pole, as I always do when we go camping. I was not aware of the proper flag raising procedures you noted. I will observe and employ those procedures in the future.

Today's activities include taking the grand kids on a 1 hour commercial harbor cruise, then we'll take a tour on the USS Midway. USS Midway (CVB/CVA/CV-41) was an aircraft carrier of the United States Navy, the lead ship of its class.
Commissioned a week after the end of World War II, Midway was the largest ship in the world until 1955, as well as the first U.S. aircraft carrier too big to transit the Panama Canal.

A revolutionary hull design, based on the planned Montana-class battleship, gave it better maneuverability than previous carriers. It operated for an unprecedented 47 years, during which time it saw action in the Vietnam War and served as the Persian Gulf flagship in 1991's Operation Desert Storm. Decommissioned in 1992, it is now a museum ship at the USS Midway Museum, in San Diego, California, and the only remaining U.S. aircraft carrier of the World War II era that is not an Essex-class aircraft carrier.

I've been on this tour before, but the grands have not. A great way to commemorate and honor Memorial Day. We're also looking forward to exploring the local bike paths, getting our feet wet along the shore line, and eating some good clam chowder at a local restaurant. A safe and sane Happy Memorial Day to everyone.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Two HUGE thank yous to our srvicemen and women this weekend:

1. Thank you for helping our nation defend itself, its principles, and its honor, in order to thrive, persist, and remain secure.

2. Sorry, but I gotta do it: thanks so much also for the day off. God bless.

Reaction Score
A quiet day for me. Attend Mass in the morning. Maybe go for a drive and/or watch some historical documentaries then something on the grill. At some point will read Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

Reaction Score
KIB : both your notes appreciated here. Many schools give very little or even no attention to the important days in our history.. Would like to see more of our vets go into schools to speak directly to the kids about the days that commemorate our military sacrifices and achievements.

VTCW: your notes and photo as well. (Our family has a paratrooper at one of those crosses .) I remember marching in our stifling Haverford Junior High band uniforms outside Phlly on Decoration Days which were as hot as today.
Memories also of the poppies and the impact of the readings. Have said a prayer for your uncles and their comrades; may their sacrifices be e'er remembered and honored.

,kib, when my grandson was n middle school they gave a play about Pearl Harbor and invited vets to see the play. The vets said they appreaciated it very much. That was many years ago and I don't know if the continued it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Good for you and your neighbors. I am still learning. I read only recently that the proper way to display the flag on Memorial Day is a two-step procedure:
1. In the morning, raise the flag to full-staff, then slowly lower it to half-staff - to honor the million or so that lost their lives in military service.
2. At noon, raise the flag back to full-staff as a symbolic pledge that they did not die in vain.​
I confess that I had not been aware of this protocol before so we'll give a go on Monday. I guess this procedure is adhered to at the White House, so why not ours?

There is some gratifying news. Media folks finally seem to be persuaded that flags are flown at full-staff or half-staff on land.;)

I didn't know that. I fly the flag on my lawn 24/365. I recently replaced the flagpole with a pole that has no landyard/blocks etc. It is segmented intended to be lowered only to replace the flag. Any thoughts about half staff? I considered retracting a couple of segments but then I would still have a flag at full staff - just on a shorter pole.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Maybe watch some historical documentaries.

Likewise. I will continue watching my personal favorite: "Band of Brothers," the Tom Hanks/Stephen Spielberg masterful saga of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. I have met a few of the original troopers so it's special viewing for me. "Currahee!"

Reaction Score
Not only am I a service veteran, but also a fan of the history of both theaters of WW II. I can watch hours of TV documentary programing featuring the campaigns in Europe and the Pacific. My family and I are commemorating Memorial day weekend here in Chula Vista, CA. Chula Vista is a suburb of San Diego. We're at an RV resort (right on the ocean) about 2 miles north of the US/Mexican border. I'm proudly displaying our colors on my RV's flag pole, as I always do when we go camping. I was not aware of the proper flag raising procedures you noted. I will observe and employ those procedures in the future.

Today's activities include taking the grand kids on a 1 hour commercial harbor cruise, then we'll take a tour on the USS Midway. USS Midway (CVB/CVA/CV-41) was an aircraft carrier of the United States Navy, the lead ship of its class.
Commissioned a week after the end of World War II, Midway was the largest ship in the world until 1955, as well as the first U.S. aircraft carrier too big to transit the Panama Canal.

A revolutionary hull design, based on the planned Montana-class battleship, gave it better maneuverability than previous carriers. It operated for an unprecedented 47 years, during which time it saw action in the Vietnam War and served as the Persian Gulf flagship in 1991's Operation Desert Storm. Decommissioned in 1992, it is now a museum ship at the USS Midway Museum, in San Diego, California, and the only remaining U.S. aircraft carrier of the World War II era that is not an Essex-class aircraft carrier.

I've been on this tour before, but the grands have not. A great way to commemorate and honor Memorial Day. We're also looking forward to exploring the local bike paths, getting our feet wet along the shore line, and eating some good clam chowder at a local restaurant. A safe and sane Happy Memorial Day to everyone.
You can also visit the most impressive view of San Diego, atop Point Loma in the Rosecrans National Cemetery.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
My wife and I will celebrate Memorial Day watching our two oldest grandsons march in their town parade - weather permitting.

We also take time to remember our family members who have served this country from WWII to today. We also tell our grandsons about these family members. Fortunately, we have pictures for them to view.

The American flag flies proudly on our house and our Blue Star banner hangs in a window. Our youngest son in serving in the Navy as a submariner. The reason for my avatar.

Thank you to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice that we may be free.

A Proud Navy Dad!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Carnac: Thanks for this informative post. I enjoyed it.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thank YOU Gus. I appreciate the kind words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom