OT: Maya and Shanxi | The Boneyard

OT: Maya and Shanxi

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On a road trip from Beijing to Shanxi Province to Shanxi (not a typo), spelt the same but pronounced differently…tones you know…or so my wife explained…sounds about the same to me. My wife spent her 6-year cultural Revolution stint in a cave in a small town nearby and we were going back to visit it, her first peek in 45-years On the way we passed the City of Taiyaun, Maya's winter abode. The following is from my journal

On the road to Pintyao we passed the major Industrial center of Taiyaun, the home of the woman's basketball champs of China the Shanxi Tigers, led by our beloved Maya Moore of UConn, the Minnesota Lynx and Nike fame, with more medals and trophies that any 25-year old should reasonably hope to accumulate; most recently, the gold medal from the recent world championships plus an additional trinket signifying her being the most valuable player in the world.

As we neared the city. The pollution and fog was so intense, that we never actually did see any of the metropolis at all. I almost felt bad for Maya. At some point, sooner than later, she's going to have to give up China (hopefully in advance of the disintegration of her lungs), carting home her latest trophies and related hardware and (of course) the bushel loads of cash that they toss at her in recognition of her prodigious output (43-points a game average) and least we forget the myriad number of local endorsements that pay additional RMB for the “Indomitable Princess,” or whatever it is that the local media has taken to calling her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox
Top Bottom