OT:Looks like Westport is going down... | The Boneyard

OT:Looks like Westport is going down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Manager really blew...managing for the U.S. championship game Saturday instead of managing tonight's game. With Westport up 3-1 in the 6th he took out his #2 pitcher. After giving up a home run to make it 3-2 the reliever walked the bases loaded. Then the next reliever threw a wild pitch to tie the game.

Game just ended 6-3, Chula Vista. Westport has to beat Washington tomorrow to make it the the championship game...too bad. To be honest, I thought the California team is the better team.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I guess the manager forgot that oldest of adages: "We'll play 'em one game at a time."

Reaction Score
He also took the United States championship away from 11-13 year olds
Old saying: Players don't lose games,,Coaches DO....
they will lose today because there down and out..where were the assistant coaches
huh.png

Thanks coach

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'm the Treasurer of Westport Little League. We were texting with the parents and other board members at the game - there was an overwhelming feeling of going "all in" and get the win - but it would have left us with NO pitching for today if we didn't win. So while I question whether I would have done the same thing as Tim - pulling Harry last night, if we win tonight, (which will all depend on the second pitcher, since Harry is only going 50 pitches), we'll have the best pitching for the weekend of any team and his strategy will have been proven right. He's gotten his team much farther than I ever did and we're one of 3 teams left!

But we're only 2 pitchers deep, and we still came a hit or a foot on the fly ball from winning. For the OP who felt Chula Vista was better, it took 9 innings to decide and their best pitcher got hammered for a 3 run homer.

Reaction Score
There better off taking his beating in the United States championship game and said we got there [remenber one step at a time] you can"t Win if your not there..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm the Treasurer of Westport Little League. We were texting with the parents and other board members at the game - there was an overwhelming feeling of going "all in" and get the win - but it would have left us with NO pitching for today if we didn't win. So while I question whether I would have done the same thing as Tim - pulling Harry last night, if we win tonight, (which will all depend on the second pitcher, since Harry is only going 50 pitches), we'll have the best pitching for the weekend of any team and his strategy will have been proven right. He's gotten his team much farther than I ever did and we're one of 3 teams left!

But we're only 2 pitchers deep, and we still came a hit or a foot on the fly ball from winning. For the OP who felt Chula Vista was better, it took 9 innings to decide and their best pitcher got hammered for a 3 run homer.
The most difficult decisions for managers at the LLWS surround the rules and thresholds controlling pitchers. Many a championship is lost in July when lineups are submitted and the number of pitchers are selected for the teams.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm the Treasurer of Westport Little League. We were texting with the parents and other board members at the game - there was an overwhelming feeling of going "all in" and get the win - but it would have left us with NO pitching for today if we didn't win.

So you admit the manager played to lose. Horrible job by him.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
So you admit the manager played to lose. Horrible job by him.
Not at all. He made a decision that gave the team the best chance to advance, even if we had lost. I admit I might have gone for the win, but then again I might not have - these pitching rules are really tough to manage. If Harry had stayed in and we lost, what would we do today?

And we had our chances to win.

Reaction Score
Manager really blew...managing for the U.S. championship game Saturday instead of managing tonight's game. With Westport up 3-1 in the 6th he took out his #2 pitcher. After giving up a home run to make it 3-2 the reliever walked the bases loaded. Then the next reliever threw a wild pitch to tie the game.

Game just ended 6-3, Chula Vista. Westport has to beat Washington tomorrow to make it the the championship game...too bad. To be honest, I thought the California team is the better team.

Pretty easy to criticize after the game is over. What if the relief pitcher came in and got the ball over the plate and got the few outs needed to win the game. What if Westport produced some runs in the last inning and won the game. What if the #2 pitcher stayed in the game and continued to get shelled and the game was lost anyhow.

Westport can still win it all. I have no problem with the Manager's decision in this situation. Besides, who is to say all those old adages are correct.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Cheez, Louise, folks, it's Little League - remember the Little League pledge "I will strive to win, but, win or lose, I will always do my best". Not only do you have to work within the pitching restrictions, I have not seen anybody post any sympathy for the kids who were asked to perform in relief, and were not able to shut the door. It's all animus.

Some folks are awful quick to jump on the manager - the volunteer, giving-up-most-of-his-summer-likely-all-his-vacation manager. This isn't the pros, folks, it's not even JV high school, and this is not Sparky Anderson, or even Bobby Valentine we're talking about. Comments like "the manager played to lose" and "took the United States Championship away" are asinine, insensitive, and the reason why folks like me have had worse experience managing Little League than coaching high school JV, Varsity, and ASA summer ball.

Not to mention the Monday-morning quarterbacking aspect of passing judgment on a team when you know nothing about the individual players, their abilities, health, relative maturity, capacity to deal with pressure, etc.. The coaching staff has spent months with these kids, perhaps over a number of years, but we have folks here on the Boneyard who know how to manage them better. What arrogance.

Not every decision works out, folks. Not for Geno, not for Presidents, not for our parents, and not for you and me. But, to exorcise volunteers who give enormously of their time to work with 12-year olds, because of a decision that doesn't work out in a Little League game, well..it's trite, but, get a life!

Reaction Score
My armchair observation, and I mentioned it at the time it was happening, was when the coach went to the mound after the relief pitcher had walked his first two batters (10 pitches 8 for balls and all in the same location, low and outside) I would have made a pitching change then. The pitcher then walks his 3rd batter (5 pitches, 4 low and outside). The 2nd baseman enters the mound and uncorks a wild pitch( he had no time to really warm up and he is a breaking ball pitcher). If he had entered one batter sooner then the wild pitch doesn't score the tying run and if things played out the same, Westport wins in 6 inns.

Reaction Score
If Harry had stayed in and we lost, what would we do today?

If Harry had stayed in and Westport had lost, many of the same people would be criticizing the manager for not taking him out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If Harry had stayed in and we lost, what would we do today?

Geez, what if Harry stayed in and you won? I still think it's easier for a kid to get 2 outs than 18. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom