(OT kinda) - The Oral History of How Joe Moorhead Created Penn State's Cutting-Edge Offense | The Boneyard

(OT kinda) - The Oral History of How Joe Moorhead Created Penn State's Cutting-Edge Offense

Reaction Score
If a fan of JM, it's worth the read - there are multiple UConn mentions. If you can't get by the part that it's PSU - pass.

>>Breiner: Within the first three weeks when we were at UConn, I knew he was special. His greatest skill as a coach is his ability to inspire confidence in the people around him, the coaching staff but more importantly the players. He gets people to buy into what he’s asking them to do but also gets them to believe that what they’re doing will be successful. He had me hook, line and sinker when he was teaching me the offense.<<

>>Moorhead: The first year at UConn, we beat Notre Dame and won the Papa John’s Bowl [beating South Carolina]. The next year we weren’t quite as good but still won the league and went to the Fiesta Bowl. [Head coach Randy Edsall] left [to take the Maryland job] and a majority of us on staff didn’t make the travel roster. Coach [Paul] Pasqualoni took over, and I was fortunate enough to be retained but was demoted to QB coach. I wouldn’t say it was a crossroads in my career, but the timing of my alma mater opening up looking for a new head coach was a very serendipitous type of occurrence.

On paper, it sure appears like both Maryland and UConn would’ve benefited from having Moorhead running the offense. In his two seasons as the Huskies’ offensive coordinator, UConn ranked an aggregate 44th in scoring. In the first two seasons after Moorhead left, the Huskies were No. 101. Meanwhile, in Edsall’s first two seasons in College Park, Maryland’s offense ranked No. 98. Pasqualoni was fired early into his third season at UConn, while Edsall was fired midway through his fifth season at Maryland.<<

Reaction Score
And after Moorhead leaves PSU Franklin will get axed also.

The commentators even said on espn during the USF Temple game that Moorhead is the reason Penn St has had any success at all since Franklin hired him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In truth, Joe's running a version of the old Radiers vertical throw it deep every chance you get. He is just doing it no huddle.

He's had a QB that can hit the deep ball consistently, monster sized receivers, and an all-Amercian at RB to keep teams honest. In short, it's recruiting more than play calling but give him credit for calling an aggressive game.

Reaction Score
In truth, Joe's running a version of the old Radiers vertical throw it deep every chance you get. He is just doing it no huddle.

He's had a QB that can hit the deep ball consistently, monster sized receivers, and an all-Amercian at RB to keep teams honest. In short, it's recruiting more than play calling but give him credit for calling an aggressive game.

He did it at Fordham with a QB with an ACL tear....

Reaction Score
He also does something I love. On blitzes, instead of keeping the RB in to block. The RB runs by the blitzer for the QB throws him the ball. He makes the RB the hot read on blitzes. This puts one of you best offensive weapons in the open filed and room to run. It also makes the defense reluctant to blitz because it is a big play waiting to happen.

Reaction Score
"Coach [Paul] Pasqualoni took over, and I was fortunate enough to be retained but was demoted to QB coach"
image_handler.aspx_coach%20p.jpg

Reaction Score

Joe has been successful running several different versions of his offense. He seems to know how to adapt it to personnel.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Joe has been successful running several different versions of his offense. He seems to know how to adapt it to personnel.

That may be true but we are talking about Penn State's offense which is all about setting up the bomb to very tall receivers. The Rose Bowl was the case study. I think they scored TD's on 7 straight drives.

Reaction Score
He appears to be a leading candidate to replace Addazio at BC. Both Moorhead and Don Brown would make terrific head coaches. We should have hired one of them instead of RE2 and BC should hire one of these guys to replace their horrible coach.

Reaction Score
Moorhead had no interest in leaving PSU for UConn and made that clear by saying he is not leaving PSU. He will have his choice of P5 jobs as they open. I doubt BCU will want the spend the money they will need to get him. Moorhead also needs certain types of athlete for his offense. BCU may not be the place to get those athletes.

Reaction Score
He appears to be a leading candidate to replace Addazio at BC. Both Moorhead and Don Brown would make terrific head coaches. We should have hired one of them instead of RE2 and BC should hire one of these guys to replace their horrible coach.

He's too smart to take the BC job. He will take something with a greater likelihood of success.

Reaction Score
It was reported that BC's coach gets 2.5 million per year, that's significantly more than what Moorhead or Brown are receiving now. If Moorhead wants a top level P5 job he will have to prove himself at a BC level job. For Don Brown the BC job would be his last job due to his age.

Reaction Score
It was reported that BC's coach gets 2.5 million per year, that's significantly more than what Moorhead or Brown are receiving now. If Moorhead wants a top level P5 job he will have to prove himself at a BC level job. For Don Brown the BC job would be his last job due to his age.

Agree that Moorhead won't get a top P5 job. He will get a mid-level one, and Boston College does not fit that description

Reaction Score
Actually, BC is perfect job at the best time for Moorhead. They are terrible and headed for their 2nd 0-8 ACC record in 3 years. Moorhead can win 8-9 games and look like an all star. Tom O'Brien won that number of games every year and Addazio has won 6 or more 3 out of 5 years. BC is in his region and PSU could open up in 3 years, which would be perfect timing. I don't see Franklin surviving more than 3 years without Moorhead

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Joe could have gotten a BC type job last year. He didn't stay just to taken a career killing job a year later.

Region is a tough one for Joe. Not sure he'd thrive at place like a Texas Tech or in the SEC.

Probably looking at a North Carolina type or anywhere in the Pac12 that isn't in LA or Oregon. But if they win a title, maybe Oregon.

If he stated in the Big Ten, look no higher in the pecking order than Mich St.

Reaction Score
Moorhead will not get an SEC or PAC 12 job, not his region. MSU is a possibility if it opens up. BC is a likely landing spot for a PSU OC. VT, SU or Pitt or WVU as well, but those jobs will not be open.

Reaction Score
Moorhead will not get an SEC or PAC 12 job, not his region. MSU is a possibility if it opens up. BC is a likely landing spot for a PSU OC. VT, SU or Pitt or WVU as well, but those jobs will not be open.

Louisville might be open soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom