OT: Kelsey Plum Explains Why She Didn't Choose a WBB Power House | The Boneyard

OT: Kelsey Plum Explains Why She Didn't Choose a WBB Power House

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just a note. Its not about how many points you score its about keeping your opponent from scoring.

Reaction Score
Per Raul:

Perhaps this is why some players don't choose UConn, ND etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/...-huskies-kelsey-plum-chantel-osahor.html?_r=0
A couple things showed up in Plum 's reasons she didn't choose a power house. But first she is fun to watch and is a scorer. (paraphrasing) she said: She didn't want to be inhibited by adults--she wanted to play her way. Also, as an under dog her self, she wanted to go to an under dog team (paraphrased)
The question I have: Did Uconn offer her a scholarship??

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A couple things showed up in Plum 's reasons she didn't choose a power house. But first she is fun to watch and is a scorer. (paraphrasing) she said: She didn't want to be inhibited by adults--she wanted to play her way. Also, as an under dog her self, she wanted to go to an under dog team (paraphrased)
The question I have: Did Uconn offer her a scholarship??
Pretty sure there was never any interest in uconn on her part, and impossible to tell how uconn felt about her.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Washington Coach Mike Neighbors falls into the former group, and he has found a silver lining to UConn’s success in the living rooms of prospective recruits.

“I can go into a home and say, ‘Unless UConn is recruiting you, nobody can promise you a championship right now,’” Neighbors said. If other teams are promising that, he tells recruits, “they’re lying to you.”

The coach of the 8th ranked team in the nation recruits by saying no one but UConn can win national championship?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Not what he said at all. He said that no other program could promise a NC. If you look at 4 year career intervals, only UConn is statistically able to make that promise. That doesn't mean that other teams can't win a NC.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure there was never any interest in uconn on her part, and impossible to tell how uconn felt about her.

Thanks--I didn't hear much buzz about her with Uconn. Which in itself, could say something. Nevertheless, she is fun to watch--and some of what we see--says, she wouldn't be an obvious Uconn choice>. I like the big girl Osafor (sp/?) on Plum's team--a bit of McLaren in her moves and shooting.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
We all know about her talent. No interest means no interest. If Geno showed no interest it's perhaps he thought he and his program were too "adult" for Plum.

Reaction Score
Given the quotes from her about what kind of a school she was looking for, it's more likely the reason that UConn apparently didn't recruit her at all.

Could be..........would like to know if UConn considered her a possibility at the time..................

Reaction Score
Plum wasn't even rated that high coming out of HS. She wasn't this 5 Star, Top 10, can't miss prospect. Sure she was a McD AA, but I'm pretty sure most services had her in the 20-40 range. ESPN/PN (when they were under those guys) had her at #26, BlueStar had her at 33, FC had her at 36.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Plum recognizing that she didn't want to go to a traditional powerhouse, to me, shows maturity and self-awareness. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be shoehorned into UConn's or Notre Dame's style of play. Of the three schools on her short list (UW, Cal, and Gonzaga), I think she made a wise choice. She's a good fit for them, and they're a good fit for her.

If I got Pac-10 Network, I'd watch every Washington game they broadcast. They're the second-funnest team for me to watch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom