OT: Kansas Basketball Players Dorm is Absurd | The Boneyard

OT: Kansas Basketball Players Dorm is Absurd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Notice no mention of hot tubs, massage lounges, etc. Pretty sub par, IMO, and not something that compares to the Storrs experience.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
And before anyone asks... it's fine by NCAA rules because they allow as many regular students live in it (17) as they do basketball players.

That covers the NCAA rules. But how about Title IX? I wonder if they may get challenged there? Or maybe the 17 "other students" are all females (who happen to like to "party")?:cool:

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Anybody ever been over to this guys' house to check out the kitchen?

Reaction Score
Notice no mention of hot tubs, massage lounges, etc. Pretty sub par, IMO, and not something that compares to the Storrs experience.
This is where they live, not their basketball practice facility.

Hilltop Apartments are also lacking in the hot tubs and massage lounges department, not to mention the indoor courts, renovated kitchen, and insane square footage departments.

Reaction Score
Holy crap a country club on campus. But ya gotta feel bad for those guys. There was NO place for schoolwork ??

Reaction Score
This is where they live, not their basketball practice facility.

Hilltop Apartments are also lacking in the hot tubs and massage lounges department, not to mention the indoor courts, renovated kitchen, and insane square footage departments.

I was joking, but there is probably a real discussion in there somewhere about how they have money for this but not to pay the players.

Reaction Score
It is pretty cool. Their old Jayhawk Towers were a dump. Coach Self put in his contract extension that they had to have the towers redone, or get a new dorm.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Eh, no mention of strippers, prostitutes and associated extra services either. UCONN and KU don't hold a candle to Louisville. Some schools go the extra mile. What can you do?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is pretty cool. Their old Jayhawk Towers were a dump. Coach Self put in his contract extension that they had to have the towers redone, or get a new dorm.

I lived in Jayhawk Towers for one semester. I wasn't a fan of anything but the view. My room looked directly at the Pi Beta Phi house.

Reaction Score
Eh, no mention of strippers, prostitutes and associated extra services either. UCONN and KU don't hold a candle to Louisville. Some schools go the extra mile. What can you do?
I'm still waiting on Chief to throw the Dairy Bar in to his sarcastic schtick about Glen Miller and his facilities tour. It surprises me he hasn't yet.

Maybe the Dairy Bar should hire Bunkey

Reaction Score

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I was in Louisville last weekend and I asked an Uber driver if he could take me to " the place where pitino banged the waitress on the table"

He chuckled

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I was in Louisville last weekend and I asked an Uber driver if he could take me to " the place where pitino banged the waitress on the table"

He chuckled

Totally knew exactly how to get there too, didn't he.

Reaction Score
Part of the college experience is learning to work with a live with people from different backgrounds, ideas, beliefs, etc. Basically to learn to be a part of society away from Mom & Dad. So this is great for the 1 to 2 KU players a year who will go to the NBA so they don't have to rub elbows with the 'common' folks. But, what about the rest of the team that graduates (hopefully) and has to get a real job like the rest of us? And no, this is the first 'dorm' like this. Football dorms have been like this for a while.

Reaction Score
Part of the college experience is learning to work with a live with people from different backgrounds, ideas, beliefs, etc. Basically to learn to be a part of society away from Mom & Dad. So this is great for the 1 to 2 KU players a year who will go to the NBA so they don't have to rub elbows with the 'common' folks. But, what about the rest of the team that graduates (hopefully) and has to get a real job like the rest of us? And no, this is the first 'dorm' like this. Football dorms have been like this for a while.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that there will be more than 1 or 2 KU basketball players who end up playing basketball for a living.

And your premise is shaky as it is. Neither you or I know what type of background they grew up in, but basketball isn't a sport that tends to be homogeneous, anyway. Whatever their experience is in the sport probably pushed them outside of the norm on many occasions, not to mention, since a lot of the players are black, their immersion with "common folks" (this is a proxy for white, whether you intended it that way or not) is unavoidable from day one.

I would be willing to bet that the type of kids you are referring to are actually ones that grow up in predominantly white suburbs and then attend predominantly white colleges, like Kansas. They are more blind to the "real world" than the guys on the KU basketball team.

Reaction Score

He chuckled
Did he show you pictures?

Reaction Score
I'm with you. I don't think it's a good thing for the athletes to be segregated from the non-athletes and live in their own dorm, such as Wildcat Lounge at UK. It also promotes an attitude of superiority and arrogance that comes back to hurt these kids when they get to the professional world. Whether that's as an athlete or just in a regular job.

Some schools have separate better dorms for their honors college. It's an incentive to attract the best students. Even though that's rewarding academic success, which is at the basic premise of college, you could make the argument it does the same thing as the athlete dorms. I'm just not a big fan of segregating out certain types of students. My son attends a small liberal arts college that promotes inclusion in everything on campus and I see how that's benefitted him and his friends. So I guess my views are shaped from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom