OT: iphone and Samsung Galaxy Tablet questions, opinions | The Boneyard

OT: iphone and Samsung Galaxy Tablet questions, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I switched to an iphone last week and now my wife got me a Samsung Galaxy Tablet for Christmas. The Galaxy seems ok and I like that it is small (got the 7" screen). I wanted a smaller device to carry around that was still bigger than the iphone. Now I am having a little buyer's remorse regarding the Galaxy because I need apps etc. for Android as well as the iphone. It seems redundant and complicated. Our household has a massive stash of apps, music, pics etc. stored in itunes so my phone is already loaded with stuff. I am definately keeping the iphone.

The saving grace of mixing the two is that I will become proficient on both platforms. I am not sure how valuable that will be to me in the future.

So, the question is, do I keep the Galaxy, exchange it for an ipad or return it and just use my iphone while sitting on the couch? (the whole point of this exercise was to stop carrying my laptop around the house). Would like to know other view points based on your experience with phone, tablets etc.

Reaction Score
wait a few months for the Ipad 3. Or wait a few months for the reduced priced Ipad 2 when the Ipad 3 comes out.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Wait until CES (Jan 10-13) to see what's coming in 2012.

Reaction Score
Personally, I say drop everything Apple asap. I know their products work very well and have few issues, but android being more open source is a lot better.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Personally, I say drop everything Apple asap. I know their products work very well and have few issues, but android being more open source is a lot better.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Just a little more insecure... ;^)

Reaction Score
How many years did it take for Microsoft and Apple to play nice together?

I think Android and Apple will be another long term decade long project. I have a droid phone/tablet and unfortunately I'm stuck with Android because of this. Not complaining at all, I'm okay with the droid, but here we are in 2012 and these two conglomerates can't work together or at least not well. So its probably all apple or all android, they are directly competing for current and future market share.

Reaction Score
The problem with droid is that google and the manufactures can't work together. They keep releasing phones that never update to the newer is so people have to buy phones that will never be updated beyond what it is when they get. An apple phone from three years ago is still on the newest oS5, while a droid from them is useless.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Actually the biggest problem is that most people have used iTunes going back to the iPod just over a decade ago. Now that they have cloudified (myword) music and video, you can get to everything from your iThing (myword) device but not from anything droid. It's a great marketing strategy. At some point, I would imagine they would almost have to open the cloud storage to other things like Microsoft Media Player and Android, but for the time being, it's an all Apple world when it comes to where your media probably is. That being said, all my media is burned to directories on my local storage so I can load it to anything I want, but I can't really access it from the cloud.

Reaction Score
My wife has the IPad and was checking into all the other available tablets and ended up getting me the Toshiba Thrive. Very nice and quick too!!!

Handy for the road in a portfolio rather than the laptop - surprised as I am not a tech geek but love what I can do with this - ( too) LOL

Reaction Score
my wife has the iphone, and i got her a kindle fire (7") for Christmas.

she uses the phone for normal phone stuff, and the kindle for games, tv, movies, etc...the larger screen makes matching/playing much easier on the eyes. fast too.

btw....kindle fire has been awesome so far. highly recommended.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There will be 3 price points in tablets next Christmas -- Apple, Windows 8, and Kindle.

Kindle will be for streamers. Windows will run full blown business apps and stream. In 2 years Apple will have Bootcamp for iOS. Android will be for casual users and non-critical devices. Android and ARM chips are so limited. Apple and Wintel have fought this was before against GeoWorks, OS/2 and Linux.

GMail, Google Office, Google TV, and Android apps? Meh.

Windows on Xbox (for TV/DVR) and Apple will be better positioned for home entertainment ecosystems and serving up boring old office applications.

My 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger