OT: in-home aquarium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: in-home aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Start small. It's a lot more work than most people think.
I have to disagree...most people say to me "it's a lot of work, isn't it"? I spend about an hour a week on my tank. More when time for a filter change, etc. I have a 58 g freshwater with community fish and all live plants. Been doing it probably 35 years and I still am learning.

I recommend at least 20g, small tanks are less stable (conditions-wise). Lots of used tanks on CL, just make sure it doesn't leak. Get a good stand...no bookshelves. Canister filters are great. 20% water changes weekly keep your tank nice, get a Python for that. Don't start with difficult fish. Read up & educate yourself, the local fish store will sell you whatever. Don't buy without reading up on the fish first.

Get a good heater. They all fail, but a cheapie may poach your fish. keep an eye on the temperature, always (I just had a heater fail in the on position but caught it at 90°!).

Have fun!!!!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have to disagree...most people say to me "it's a lot of work, isn't it"? I spend about an hour a week on my tank. More when time for a filter change, etc.

Exactly my point. If you think it's work an hour + per week, then it's absolutely worth an hour + per week.

Personally, I found a Roku fish tank channel that cost me nothing, and gives me the same thrill as a real fish tank did. Give me a bag of goldfish crackers, and I'll snack and smirk while watching the Roku fish swim around my tv, knowing I won't have to clean up their tank an hour a week.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Don't get your fish at Walmart.

image.jpeg

Reaction Score
Does anyone here in CT or surrounding areas have any small coldwater native fish they'd like to sell or give away? Looking for small specimen (2 inches, around there) of sunfish , etc; small enough so it won't eat growing goldfish. Thought I'd ask here since I am looking.

I have no idea how to fish.

Reaction Score
I currently have a 50 gal reef aquarium in repair lockdown mode. Water cycle had completed, day fish are supposed to go in...I notice the soon to be leaky seal in the top left corner of the tank. Have been waiting 3 weeks for the new tank to be shipped to me.

Not on topic, but it just seemed an appropriate place to vent about it

Reaction Score
The intelligence and beauty of the behavior of fish is under-appreciated. Goldfish put humans to shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom