OT: Illinois fires head coach | The Boneyard

OT: Illinois fires head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Illinois just fired head coach Tim Beckman...a little odd to do it now. Billy Cubit named acting HC for the season.

Reaction Score
During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren’t on the team.

http://footballscoop.com/news/tim-beckman-has-been-let-go/

Reaction Score
During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren’t on the team.

http://footballscoop.com/news/tim-beckman-has-been-let-go/

Yeah, that's a good reason to fire the guy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Read further. This is about his contract buyout.

Reaction Score
He needs to find a new line of work. You don't manipulate injured players and what ever kind of funny stuff was going on with the academics. But.... the Illini are in the B1G so they can afford to hire the Right Kind of Guy for next season. And....that right kind of guy gets an unusual head start on setting things(staff, playbooks, recruiting contacts) in place for 2016.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Read further. This is about his contract buyout.
Even so.. that's pretty .

Illinois to me are like a rich man's Rutgers or the old school Clippers. Tons of potential but just can't seem to ever put it together. Can't seem to get out of their own way.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
What's a Cubit?
A cubit is the distance between an adult's elbow and tip of the finger (don't ask me which one). About 18". Which is an almost worthless piece of trivia that I'm able to recall better than some conversations with my wife just 24 hours earlier.

Reaction Score
Why did FHCPP get his buy out since he was essentially a fraud as a college coach and should have been fired for "CAUSE"?
He was probably just inept as compared to the Illinois coach who was actively trying to manipulate the situation.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They have a football team? Been buried in the B1G so long you kind of forget....

Reaction Score
Is this the final firing of last season or the first firing of the upcoming season?

Reaction Score
Why did FHCPP get his buy out since he was essentially a fraud as a college coach and should have been fired for "CAUSE"?
What mushroom have you been under? :D No slap here jackl but this is how the difference between the haves and the have not's are defined. A lame duck administration (Hathaway) and a disillusioned good ole boy at the helm. (Larry McHugh) Who should have stepped down for hiring PP for "CAUSE". Similar to how you see corporate executives walking away with a bonus after running a company into the ground.
I would wager Bizlaw could answer a lot for you on this one...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A cubit is the distance between an adult's elbow and tip of the finger (don't ask me which one). About 18". Which is an almost worthless piece of trivia that I'm able to recall better than some conversations with my wife just 24 hours earlier.
Right!

Reaction Score
Cubit, I believe, is the father of a Cubit QB who played for Rutgers against us some years ago. Or perhaps it is the QB himself. Anyone??

Reaction Score
Cubit, I believe, is the father of a Cubit QB who played for Rutgers against us some years ago. Or perhaps it is the QB himself. Anyone??

Good memory:
>>Cubit's son, Ryan, was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Western Michigan football team from 2004 to 2006. Ryan had originally played quarterback at Rutgers (where his father was offensive coordinator), from 2001–2002 before transferring<<

>>Ryan Cubit started all 11 games in 2001, throwing for 1,433 yards, the most by a freshman at Rutgers. He also set a school record for interceptions (19) and freshman records for touchdown passes (nine), attempts (268) and completions (120). Cubit completed 64 of 141 passes with five touchdowns and six interceptions in 2002<<

He's the QB coach @ Illinois now.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
What mushroom have you been under? :D No slap here jackl but this is how the difference between the haves and the have not's are defined. A lame duck administration (Hathaway) and a disillusioned good ole boy at the helm. (Larry McHugh) Who should have stepped down for hiring PP for "CAUSE". Similar to how you see corporate executives walking away with a bonus after running a company into the ground.
I would wager Bizlaw could answer a lot for you on this one...

I know Larry and he wanted to keep Edsall and thought firing Hathaway would have done just that. Their relationship was just that bad and Edsall got his "dream" job offer and that was that.

Reaction Score
I know Larry and he wanted to keep Edsall and thought firing Hathaway would have done just that. Their relationship was just that bad and Edsall got his "dream" job offer and that was that.
Hello Bill, greetings from a fellow UCONN fan. No pizzing match here but you must have missed a lot of facts. Thousands of people know Larry, he is a very well liked and respected throughout the state. That does not however remove him from blame for the fiasco that was Paul and George. Everyone knows of the dislike between Hathaway, Randy and other coaches also. He simply did not fight for the support they needed. I personally saw Randy call him out in front of about 500 at a public event on getting more money for assistants.

Randy was interviewing for every job that came up and clearly ready to move on. My point on Larry is he barked like a Chihuahua to get Paul in house asap and danced like one once it happened. There were multiple options available that were never given much time or thought due to the force of Larry and his influence. With the demise of Paul and our program we have seen Larry for the most part silent. This is a good thing.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Hello Bill, greetings from a fellow UCONN fan. No pizzing match here but you must have missed a lot of facts. Thousands of people know Larry, he is a very well liked and respected throughout the state. That does not however remove him from blame for the fiasco that was Paul and George. Everyone knows of the dislike between Hathaway, Randy and other coaches also. He simply did not fight for the support they needed. I personally saw Randy call him out in front of about 500 at a public event on getting more money for assistants.

Randy was interviewing for every job that came up and clearly ready to move on. My point on Larry is he barked like a Chihuahua to get Paul in house asap and danced like one once it happened. There were multiple options available that were never given much time or thought due to the force of Larry and his influence. With the demise of Paul and our program we have seen Larry for the most part silent. This is a good thing.

I know and saw a lot of behind the scenes stuff that was going on and just didn't get the love for FHCPP. Hopefully they get it right now as I think HCBD is the right guy for this team.

Reaction Score
I know and saw a lot of behind the scenes stuff that was going on and just didn't get the love for FHCPP. Hopefully they get it right now as I think HCBD is the right guy for this team.

What I never (and still don't) get about the whole thing about replacing Edsall was this...Larry McHugh wanted Hathaway gone LONG before Edsall left. He should have pushed for his firing after the Morande Ford ticket scandal IMHO. So when Edsall leaves because he can't take Hathaway anymore..McHugh let's long time friendships with Pasqualoni, DeLeone and the CT HS coach cronies and protege's of these 2 washed up morons cloud his thinking. If McHugh had stuck to his guns and persisted..he should have run Hathaway out of town when Edsall left. Instead he let that moron hire the toxic twins (and I'l bet Hathaway figured he bought himself clout w/McHugh by hiring his buddies) and the rest is history. Hathaway and Edsall have been gone long enough now that any stuff that anyone saw or knew about behind the scene stuff is "unclassified". I will tell you this..I definitely know it was true that Edsall was looking at any and every job out there. He was in the mix for the Tennessee job that went to Derek Dooley, and wanted the Miami job when Golden got it. How do I know this..friends of mine were extremely close to a guy on Edsall's staff who he took with him to MD.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
FD (and other posters who have alluded to this), I've heard from a couple sources that McHugh had no direct involvement in P's hire. It was JH's doing, entirely to get into McHugh's good graces.

Reaction Score
FD (and other posters who have alluded to this), I've heard from a couple sources that McHugh had no direct involvement in P's hire. It was JH's doing, entirely to get into McHugh's good graces.
I'm not surprised...but on the flip side I think McHugh was very happy with the hire...because if he wasn't it wouldn't have been made. Hopefully Larry McHugh has acknowledged the hiring was poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom