OT: Husky Fan Seeking Help | The Boneyard

OT: Husky Fan Seeking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You probably refer to him to as CTFJR here at The Boneyard, but for as long as I can remember I've called him Bad Dad. He is the ultimate UCONN fan, an amazing photographer and the person who’s taught me what altruism really means .

On May 18th I am participating in the Fairfield County Kidney Walk benefitting the National Kidney Foundation in honor of my father aka Bad Dad, and in loving memory of his father, Harry. As of January 8, 2014 there are currently 120,990 people waiting for livesaving organ transplants in the U.S. Of these, 99,201 await kidney transplants -including my dad. Today, I am asking you to support my fundraising efforts with a donation and to consider becoming an organ donor yourself.

Kidney Walk is the nation's largest walk to fight kidney disease. Held in nearly 100 communities, the event raises awareness and funds lifesaving programs that educate and support patients, their families and those at risk.

Your tax-deductible gift will make a difference in the lives of the nearly 26 million Americans who are currently living with kidney disease. Please visit my personal page and click to donate.
Any amount, great or small, helps in the fight. I appreciate your support and will keep you posted on my progress.

http://Donate.kidney.org/goto/baddadspitcrew

With my sincerest gratitude,
Sara

Reaction Score
Nice job Sara promoting this worthy cause. I think this post deserves to go back up top in case anyone missed it. Good luck with your fund raising efforts.

Reaction Score
Thank you so much! It's unfortunate that it took a personal experience for me to heighten my awareness of what an enormous impact kidney disease has on so many people. It wasn't until my father's kidneys reached "the point of no return" and I began going through the process of testing to donate one of mine that I learned what a tremendous gap we have in both living donors and those who declare their intentions. CT is considered part of Region 1 out of the 11 organ procurement centers in the U.S. According to one of my advocates at Yale, the wait time for a kidney is 5-7 years. When I was told this, my heart sank. We have the ability to do something about this and we need to close that gap. I encourage everyone to start by making their wishes known and declaring it on their license, signing a donor card, and making a donation to the Kidney Foundation. We cannot sit idle and allow this gap to grow. It really is up to each of us to stand up and do something about it.

Again, if you'd like to donate in honor of Bad Dad/CTFJR please click here.

~Sara

Reaction Score
Nice post! Keep up the fight to bring awareness to organ donations.. I certainly hope your dad finds a match soon! My nephew has Nephrotic syndrome and receive his first kidney transplant at the age of 15. He is 22 and is in chronic kidney failure again and will be placed on the National Donors list once he is in complete failure and placed on dialysis. I too encourage people to get tested and also consider bone marrow as well. Many lives have been saved by those who signed donor cards. Whats very important is once you decide to become an organ donor not only do you need to make your wishes known you should be put in writing to ensure your wishes are carried out.

Reaction Score
Thank you very much WBFan, and I'm very sorry to hear about your nephew. While it's disappointing he needs to be put back on the donor list I think it's really incredible (without knowing all the details of course) that he had 7 successful years with the initial transplant. I know you mentioned he’s back in chronic kidney failure, but how is he feeling?

My father has IgA nephropathy. While my knowledge has increased quite a bit on kidney disease, is that the same as your nephew? Aside from filling out a donor card, what do you think it is the best method for people to sign up as an organ donor if for example; they've already renewed their driver's license? In other words, what is considered an acceptable written wish that would be acknowledged in the event of such an opportunity?

Reaction Score
I have a challenge I’d like to present to anyone who reads this thread: While fanatic may in fact be an understatement, let’s just say there are no fans like those in UCONN country. I joined The-Boneyard to reach everyone here that my father probably communicates with on a more regular basis than me. Don’t get me wrong, I am still his favorite daughter even if I am the only daughter.

My challenge to the 400+ individuals that have viewed this thread is this;
I ask that you donate $1 to help the kidney foundation in honor of the Uconn fan who you may occasionally hear yell “warm up the bus” during a silent pause at a live game.

$1 – that’s less than a cup of coffee at your favorite morning stop, or 2 K cups for you single cup home brewers!
With your support you will help me reach my goal and change the lives of so many individuals.
Think about it… $1 http://Donate.kidney.org/goto/baddadspitcrew

Reaction Score
Thank you so much! It's unfortunate that it took a personal experience for me to heighten my awareness of what an enormous impact kidney disease has on so many people. It wasn't until my father's kidneys reached "the point of no return" and I began going through the process of testing to donate one of mine that I learned what a tremendous gap we have in both living donors and those who declare their intentions. CT is considered part of Region 1 out of the 11 organ procurement centers in the U.S. According to one of my advocates at Yale, the wait time for a kidney is 5-7 years. When I was told this, my heart sank. We have the ability to do something about this and we need to close that gap. I encourage everyone to start by making their wishes known and declaring it on their license, signing a donor card, and making a donation to the Kidney Foundation. We cannot sit idle and allow this gap to grow. It really is up to each of us to stand up and do something about it.

Again, if you'd like to donate in honor of Bad Dad/CTFJR please click here.

~Sara
I've registered to be a living donor 4 times now but due to social media, a donor was found before I was even tested. Facebook pages are a great source for finding willing/ possible donors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom