OT: Hope Solo suspended, USWNT contract terminated | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hope Solo suspended, USWNT contract terminated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Dean Smith's four corner offense isn't really what I was talking about, and a significant amount of that offense took place after the shot clock was introduced in 1985. What I was referring to were games when the winning team scored less than 30 points and the weaker team tried to hold the ball for extended periods without even looking at the basket. Those teams were often viewed as cowardly by their opponents. The true four corner offense was designed to spread the defense - but was also designed to attack the basket once the defense was spread out.

OK, let me reminisce again. A college coach whose trademark was a very disciplined and deliberate slowdown offense was Henry (Hank) Iba at Oklahoma A&M. He won enough games with this distinctive style that he was selected to coach the USA Olympic team. And yes, he was on the sidelines for that infamous finale -- USA vs. Russia, 1972.:(

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Did Sweden break any rules?
Did the winning penalty kick go in the net because Solo guessed wrong?

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to free speech in this country. It really worries me that in all aspects of life today,particularly on college campuses, the speech police rule.
I can agree her comment was classless but it doesn't deserve such a suspension, meaningless as it may be. If every player in any sport was suspendedfor 6 months for classless comments we would have many more suspensions.
Missing in all of this is criticism of the USA coaching staff for not responding to the Sweden stall game. They got out coached.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to free speech in this country. It really worries me that in all aspects of life today,particularly on college campuses, the speech police rule.
I can agree her comment was classless but it doesn't deserve such a suspension, meaningless as it may be. If every player in any sport was suspendedfor 6 months for classless comments we would have many more suspensions.
Missing in all of this is criticism of the USA coaching staff for not responding to the Sweden stall game. They got out coached.

You're free to say whatever you want. It doesn't mean there are zero consequences for what you say.

Reaction Score

Free speech is all well and good..... but both domestic abuse and DUI are crimes.... and the suspension was undoubtedly for cumulative idiocy.... IMHO!!!!

Reaction Score
You're free to say whatever you want. It doesn't mean there are zero consequences for what you say.

Sorry I missed that. Exactly what law did she violate with her comments? I'm. Not talking about DUI or domestic absurd, I'm talking about her comments. Michael Jordan used to say something like, a good loser is just a loser.

Reaction Score
Sorry I missed that. Exactly what law did she violate with her comments? I'm. Not talking about DUI or domestic absurd, I'm talking about her comments. Michael Jordan used to say something like, a good loser is just a loser.

No law, she was perfectly entitled to say what she wanted.

Tomorrow I can go into work and tell my boss he is an incompetent piece of c%$p who could be replaced by a toddler. However, if I am fired I can't use the right to free speech as a defense.

Reaction Score
Solo wasn't fired for speaking her mind, and really just being a whiny loser; she was fired for being an unrepentant jackass who was a recurring PR nightmare for her employer.
The fact that US Soccer are hypocrites who waited until it was convenient to kick her out the door doesn't change that.

Reaction Score
Muhammed Ali said: “Sonny Liston is nothing. The man can't talk. The man can't fight. The man needs talking lessons. The man needs boxing lessons. And since he's gonna fight me, he needs falling lessons.” He won, they praised him...

Hope Solo said they (the Swedes) were cowards? Her team lost, they ditched her....

What if she called them cowards and her team won?...I really wonder.....just saying..?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Muhammed Ali said: “Sonny Liston is nothing. The man can't talk. The man can't fight. The man needs talking lessons. The man needs boxing lessons. And since he's gonna fight me, he needs falling lessons.” He won, they praised him...

Hope Solo said they (the Swedes) were cowards? Her team lost, they ditched her....

What if she called them cowards and her team won?...I really wonder.....just saying..?

I think you have your sequence mixed up with Hope.
Hope's TEAM played and lost, then Hope called the winning team cowards. That makes Hope a sore loser.
Hope also said: “ The best team did not win today. I strongly, firmly believe that.” .
This is something we have debated on this board before and I'm told is unique to Soccer. I still don't get it.

PS I 'm not on US Soccer side with this suspension either.

Reaction Score
I have taken Hope's side in several of her scrapes, though not all. This most recent outburst does require USA Soccer to make a response. And now that both the World Cup and the Olympics are done, they can safely act. They weren't about to ditch her when they needed her.

This isn't a disciplinary suspension, make no mistake. It is a firing, though under another label. I don't expect to see her in a team USA uni again. It is sad, really. Most of her transgressions, real, imagined, and alleged, would not have been sufficient to warrant such a harsh sanction against a male soccer star. Hope Solo has become, through mostly her own fault, a combination lightning rod and whipping boy. We lost in Rio, now someone has to pay. And when Hope shot her mouth off, she called down the artillery fire on her own foxhole. I realize this isn't the prevailing sentiment, but so be it.

There is actually a lot to like and admire about her. She is considered by most experts as being the best keeper in the world. Her soccer records will stand for a very long time, like it or not. Unfortunately, her other record isn't going away soon either.
Well said.

Reaction Score
IMO US Soccer gave Hope Solo plenty of rope and she finally hung herself with it. That's on her, not US Soccer.

Reaction Score
I have taken Hope's side in several of her scrapes, though not all. This most recent outburst does require USA Soccer to make a response. And now that both the World Cup and the Olympics are done, they can safely act. They weren't about to ditch her when they needed her.

This isn't a disciplinary suspension, make no mistake. It is a firing, though under another label. I don't expect to see her in a team USA uni again. It is sad, really. Most of her transgressions, real, imagined, and alleged, would not have been sufficient to warrant such a harsh sanction against a male soccer star. Hope Solo has become, through mostly her own fault, a combination lightning rod and whipping boy. We lost in Rio, now someone has to pay. And when Hope shot her mouth off, she called down the artillery fire on her own foxhole. I realize this isn't the prevailing sentiment, but so be it.

There is actually a lot to like and admire about her. She is considered by most experts as being the best keeper in the world. Her soccer records will stand for a very long time, like it or not. Unfortunately, her other record isn't going away soon either.

Sorry, but I just can't get exercised about Solo's conduct. She does have trouble separating her fire and drive in the game from her behavior off the pitch. Still, as you point out, she is a very great goaltender with a unique record of 100 clean sheets. Also, young girls seem to love her and to look up to her. Calling someone a "coward" is hardly excessive, especially as it describes, in a rude way, the manner in which Sweden played. Losing as they did in Rio was truly heartbreaking for USNT soccer fans. Every member of the team must have been nonplussed. It is NICE to be a good loser, but it isn't always easy. I want to cut Hope some slack; this is no way for a contributor of her quality to go out.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Solo wasn't fired for speaking her mind, and really just being a whiny loser; she was fired for being an unrepentant jackass who was a recurring PR nightmare for her employer.

By that standard, which currently employed male athletes shoud be fired? Which broadcasters? Which BY posters? Oh, wait. Skip that last one.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but I just can't get exercised about Solo's conduct. She does have trouble separating her fire and drive in the game from her behavior off the pitch. Still, as you point out, she is a very great goaltender with a unique record of 100 clean sheets. Also, young girls seem to love her and to look up to her. Calling someone a "coward" is hardly excessive, especially as it describes, in a rude way, the manner in which Sweden played. Losing as they did in Rio was truly heartbreaking for USNT soccer fans. Every member of the team must have been nonplussed. It is NICE to be a good loser, but it isn't always easy. I want to cut Hope some slack; this is no way for a contributor of her quality to go out.

Agree. She said something stupid in the heat of the moment. Probably deserves a bit of punishment, but what she got is excessive.

Reaction Score
Connecticut native Alyssa Naeher is ready to go. It's time to move on from Hope. Teams get rusty when they stick with legends who lose a step. Hope is showing some rust, and the next big tournament (WC 2019) isn't for another three years. It's time to get Alyssa some meaningful, regular field time. She'll be great.

Reaction Score
Connecticut native Alyssa Naeher is ready to go. It's time to move on from Hope. Teams get rusty when they stick with legends who lose a step. Hope is showing some rust, and the next big tournament (WC 2019) isn't for another three years. It's time to get Alyssa some meaningful, regular field time. She'll be great.

I like Alyssa, but at the moment she is nowhere near as good as Hope Solo. Maybe she will be in three years - but certainly not at this point. In three years, they may well have found a younger goalie, someone like Jane Campbell, who can be in net for a decade. At that point, Naeher will be 31 and 2019 would likely be her last World Cup.

Here is a good article on the incident from Graham Hays: U.S. Soccer's suspension of Hope Solo feels hollow, opportunistic

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Alyssa, but at the moment she is nowhere near as good as Hope Solo. Maybe she will be in three years - but certainly not at this point. In three years, they may well have found a younger goalie, someone like Jane Campbell, who can be in net for a decade. At that point, Naeher will be 31 and 2019 would likely be her last World Cup.

Here is a good article on the incident from Graham Hays: U.S. Soccer's suspension of Hope Solo feels hollow, opportunistic
It's kind of ridiculous to say she's "nowhere near as good as Hope Solo". Based on what evidence? Alyssa has had a clean sheet in every single national team start she's ever had. The difference between them at this stage in their respective career's is minimal. Alyssa, (and Ashlyn Harris for that matter) have outperformed Hope this year in the pro league. Hope was exposed badly in the Olympics. Giving up a goal through her legs to a bad Coumbia team is not something the younger Hope Solo ever did. Bad teams stick with veteran players well after their prime. Smart teams cut ties when the time is right and move on to younger replacements.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
And now her pro team has dumped her too? Yes, admittedly, she spoke with a careless razor tongue. But good grief! What next? A firing squad? This is hardly a measured and reasonable response.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And now her pro team has dumped her too? Yes, admittedly, she spoke with a careless razor tongue. But good grief! What next? A firing squad? This is hardly a measured and reasonable response.
Again, as has been said, the response wasn't just for this one instance. It's cumulative. This was, shall we say, possibly the last straw.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Hope's accumulation of off the field distractions eventually overcame the attraction of her skills on the field. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom